Roy - thanks for the information on new babies, which I'd heard about but still felt a little confused. I also have a 4 month old who had lots of mucus in his stool so my Ped had him tested to be safe. Later the GI Ped said that was unnecessary and explained why.
What were the initial symptoms?
The initial symptoms were frequent D with lots of mucus - sometimes only mucus. By the time the Drs had actually diagnosed c.diff the mucus was gone, but his stools were still soft and abnormal looking. The same symptoms have returned for the 2nd and 3rd times (D with tons of mucus, often passing only mucus). He's also had fevers (but could be from ear infections), stomach cramps, etc.
The GI Ped had him do blood work, which showed that he had low levels of iron (not anemic but low) so he's been taking iron drops for the past month. They also found elevated inflammatory markers in his blood, but this was when he had c.diff, so we've been waiting for him to be well to do the blood tests again to see if there are still inflammatory markers. But the sad thing is, the poor little guy just never gets a break and has been sick so often we haven't been able to redo the tests.
Was it the GI Ped that recommended the shots?
No, it was his general Ped that recommended the shots and his office is communicating with the GI Peds to figure out a course of action re. the latest c.diff and ear infection recurrence.
Can the Dr determine whether the ear infection is bacterial or viral?
Karen - I have started giving him kids chewable probiotics (Nature's Plus AcidophiKidz) and sometimes Culturelle. Maybe I will get Florastor for Kids. Interesting about 70% of our immune system being in our gut - it would make sense.
Anlockwood - I'm sorry about your son. It might even be harder with a smaller child since they can't communicate as well. I've come across similar info about ear infections and my Dr even told me that in the UK they wouldn't treat it with antibiotics at all. Which makes me wonder why they would bother treating a child with c.diff with antibiotics here? He hasn't had a fever in days, so hopefully they will decide to wait and observe. That is really interesting info - I'll look for the article online.
Also thanks for the info and reminder about cleaning. I am going to try to do a thorough cleaning tomorrow.