Is Mud clear signature for CDIFF?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
gjg118
Brand New Poster

Is Mud clear signature for CDIFF?

Postby gjg118 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:19 pm

I had a bad cdiff infection back in 2009. I lost about 20 pounds, was feverish and was really sick. Anyway after 2 rounds of flagil, it cleared up.

What struck me back then was the nature of the diahrea. It was like a mud pile off to the right side of the toilet. I had been fighting IBS like issues prior, but had found that cutting sugar from my diet helped immensely. Then like 6 months later CDIFF struck. At the time I thought it was just IBS until the fever and sick feeling really took hold.

Anyway, my IBS seemed to just get worse recently, and I had a few cases of 'mud' again. So I went back to the DR fearing CDIFF. Low and behold it's back. (No fever or sickness yet)

So I'm curious:
1) Is that mud type symptom a good tell of cdiff? (Seems so to me)
2) Does anyone think that IBS type sugar intolerance issues, are related to CDIFF at all? (was that an early sign of impending CDIFF?)

Thanks.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Is Mud clear signature for CDIFF?

Postby beth22 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:57 pm

STANDARD INTRODUCTION: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum “All Users Read This First” and subtopics “Please Read before You Post” and “Guidelines for Posting to our Discussion Boards.” They will guide you in using the site and answer some frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's article and topics in “CDI” – formerly” FAQ” – including “Hygiene” “Nutrition” and “Testing.”

The majority (about 80%) recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin. An unfortunate small percentage doesn’t and can suffer for months. Most eventually recover unless there are factors such as advanced age or other severe health problems. New treatments include fecal infusions and Dificid. Other drugs and treatments are in the pipeline, and there is increased recognition of C. diff.
If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff, be careful about taking them again. (See “CDI – Antibiotics”). Some people tolerate them; some develop C. diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article). Don’t take medications for C. diff. unless you are tested. (See “CDI – Tests.”)

For further information see http://www.peggymemorial.org and several other support groups on FB. Do research on medical sites such as “Mayo Clinic” and “Web MD.”

This is a support site not a medical site. We can’t give you medical advice but can tell you what worked for us and offer support. No one will understand what you are going through except someone who has/had this unpredictable disease. The best protection (for you and others) is thorough hand washing and good hygiene.

So sorry that you are struggling with this again. Everyone is different as far as the symptoms go. For me, the telltale sign was a lot of mucus, so maybe it is muddy looking stool for you. Hopefully, this next round of meds will get rid of it for you. Sugar feeds bad bacteria, so eliminating as much as you are able is a good idea. Many people have IBS after c diff, myself included. It can take a long time to go away. It sounds as if this relapse is not as bad as your previous experience, so maybe the medication will get rid of it this time.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:48 am

Cdiff symptoms are varied from person to person. I am like Liz in that my sign is mucous but also a pretty bad sick feeling. You should definitely cut sugar from your diet, this will help. I became lactose intolerant also so you might want to eliminate dairy and see if you do better. I would ask the Dr. for Dificid. It has a really good cure rate and doesn't kill as much good gut flora. Good luck and let us know how you do. Carol
CAROL

ppp67
Regular Contributor

Postby ppp67 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Yes, I noticed the same...
Day 1 - muddy
Day 2 - mucas
Day 3 - some D... eventually worse.

However, having these symptoms doesn't mean you have a CDIFF relapse.
I had these signs so I was sure. Went to get tested and it came back negative,
to my pleasant surprise. Kept taking probiotics, eating food that's easy to digest,
and avoiding coffee, alcohol, processed sugars. Took 2 florastor (s boulardii) instead
of one and I was much better in two days. Eventually replaced florastor with
another probiotic (again taking 2 a day and I'm continuing).
It's been about 3 months since my last relapse.

With halloween over, I've indulged in some little candy bars (just 2-3 a day).
And this was actully irriting my insides abit. So I quit and I notice a definite improvement.
So yes, sugar is bad. Coffee is bad too. Months back, I noticed that irriated my DS and
lead to muddy BM.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:36 am

I also have had IBS since I was a teenager and can get that "mud" depending upon what I eat. It does not necessarily become d and is not a sign of c diff in my case, so may not be in yours either. I think post- infectious IBS in someone who has already had IBS can bring some really crummy days that may be very frightening but are not necessarily c diff. Rita

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:40 pm

I agree. Had it after every treatment for C. diff. It eventually lessens for almost all.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Yes, unfortunately, muddy stools lasted for months for me. It didn't matter what I ate. I think it just took so long for my colon to heal because I was on meds almost a whole year straight. Lets hope its "just IBS" and not a relapse. Let us know how you are doing. Carol
CAROL

gjg118
Brand New Poster

Postby gjg118 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:18 pm

Thanks for the replies.
After about day 3 of flagyl ive only a few cases of d, so for me thats major improvement. Which makes me wonder about how much of my ibs has been sugar intolerance, or just c diff.

Today was day ten, so i just finished the first round of flagyl. No mud to report... hoping that i wont need another round this time as i did last time.

I am going to be more serious about taking probiotics this time round, and am now into fegir. Anyway thanks for the info.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:59 am

I was told to take probiotics for life by my GI. There is controversy as to how much they help. I say they can't hurt if your gut can tolerate them. Some people can't, get D etc. from them. Probiotic foods are good also. Yogurt, Kefir etc and also high fiber foods like oatmeal. Lets hope you have seen the last of CDiff and the muddy stools. Glad you are doing better. Carol
CAROL

gjg118
Brand New Poster

Postby gjg118 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Well it only took about 2-3 days after stopping the flagyl that my D came back. Got retested for C-Diff, and it came back negative.

Went back to Dr, and he suggested another round of flagyl since it had done so well, and cause C-Diff can be hard to kill off. Anyway, perhaps the good news is that overall he thinks my main issue may be bacterial overgrowth, which also responds well to flagyl. (And this time round, the CDIFF probably wasn't the real culprit of my problems)

So I suspect that after this round, I will again have D, and then we'll do the test for overgrowth. After reading about over growth, it seems like a lot of my sugar intolerance makes a lot more sense given that diagnosis. Anyway I will repost as I know more, but it's probably something for folks to keep in mind as a possible cause for IBS type issues before or after C-Diff diagnosis.

One thing I forgot to ask the Dr, is that lately I've had a lot of hiccups, and burping. Looking online, I can't find any correlation to those issues relative to overgrowth, or C-Diff. Anyone else experience those ? THanks.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:25 pm

Hiccups and burping can be related to acid reflux. See CDI - Acid Reflux. Call and ask your doctor or his nurse about this.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:57 pm

I have also read that flagyl is used for the SIBO and other bacterial overgrowth issues, so hopefully this round will fix it for you!

Return to “Too Much Information”