UTI's - Urinary Tract Infections & IC

Organized Answers to Frequently Asked Questions. Only Moderators may post here.
Bobbie
Administrator

UTI's - Urinary Tract Infections & IC

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:19 am

URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS

For chronic UTI's try cranberry juice. It is not just an old wives' tale. It sticks to the sides of the bladder and prevents the "bad" bacteria from forming. It's better as a preventative than a cure, however. Usually, about 8 to 10 ounces a day are enough. There are also cranberry capsules you can take, and if you're diabetic, there is sugar-free cranberry juice.

ALWAYS insist on a culture and ask if they were able to culture out a specific bacteria - a sensitivity test - and ask if a narrower spectrum bacteria would be as effective if you have to resort to an antibiotic. One antibiotic (Macrobid) appears to be the safest. Check this out in the "safe and unsafe" antibiotics posting in the CDI section. Most (80 per cent) of UTI's are caused by E. coli bacteria and respond to Macrobid. (It also is effective against a few other bacteria. See Bea's post in this section.) Some, however, are allergic to it.

I was C. diff free from l999 until 2012 when I had to take an antibiotic (Ampicillin) for an infection not caused by E. coli (proteus mirabellis). (I didn't have any symptoms of a UTI - had a routine UA.) I developed C. diff. after all those years.

Cranberry juice changes the acidity/alkilinity of the urine, which prevents bacteria from forming. It is a better preventative than cure, although it also helps with the cure. I'm told that it also can help prevent yeast infections, though this is something I heard from a lay person.
Of course, check this information out with your doctor.

There is an OTC medication (AZO) you can take to reduce the pain of a UTI. It doesn't cure the infection and turns your urine bright yellow.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2004

A urologist gave me some advice that has reduced my UTI's. I also take 50 mg preventative Macrobid a day.
1. Take only showers.....no baths
2. Blot and do not wipe.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 by Bobbie

Other Tips for Preventing UTI's:

Urinate every hour at first and then every two hours. Be sure you completely empty your bladder. (Try rubbing the area around your tailbone to achieve this; there is some nerve there -- can't remember what it.)

Try Kiegel exercises to strengthen your bladder: Contract and release your pelvic muscles several times a day. (This can even be done while driving the car.)

Drink plenty of water (probably 8 to 10 glasses of liquid), but don't overdo and wipe out electrolytes. If you are older or are on a med. such as a diuretic for blood presssure or an anti-depressant, dilute some of the water with Gatorade to prevent electrolyte (such as sodium) depletion. Sometimes you can "wash" infections away. Limit your fluid after 7:00 or 8:00 PM, however, to keep from waking up during the night.

Try cranbery juice or cranberry capsules. (See first post.)

If your infection is caused by E. coli bacteria, several days of Macrobid should clear it up. Macrobid is a low offender when it comes to C. diff.

Estrogen Cream

Sometimes dryness can contribute to UTI's. I am on Estrace (an estrogen cream) 3X a week.

Posted by Millie Mon Aug 01, 2005

Possible New "Natural" treatment

I've been doing some research for our veterinarian. A client was seeking information on a treatment called Uva Ursi, which is used to treat urinary tract infections in humans.

Another Natural Remedy

D-Mannose Powder. Like probiotics, it helps some but doesn't do much for others. It is available at Whole Foods and other health stores.

IC -INTERSTIAL CYSTITIS

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 03, 2012

by gm37 » Sat Jun 02, 2012

I have had IC for years. I have good times and I have bad flare- ups. I had to shop around until I found a Uro who was knowledgable and understanding. I call him " Doogie Houser" because he looks sooooo young!

He did a scope where they put me to sleep and he stretches the bladder by inserting fluid. He took pictures to show me what the IC looks like and said that I had a "medium" case. The stretching really helps with the discomfort. He says that he can do it every 6 months if needed. I have had it twice in four years. He has me take Amitriptine at bedtime....it helps with bladder spasms, and a small antihistamine. He did give me another pill too make the bladder more comfortable, but they have stopped making it. He and his office are so nice to me. If I am having pain, I call and they have me stop by and give them a specimen. They always send it out for a culture. Many times I have no infection, just pain. If the pain is bad, he has his nurse do a" rescue treatment." She inserts a catheter with a mixture of pain medications. I go in for a few days in a row. It really helps. I have not been in to his office since December so I am having a good spell.

When I have an infection, he calls my ID doctor and they decide on the treatment.
Having an understanding doctor is half the battle. I know the plan and that makes me feel so much better.

My last bad UTI was last August. It was caused by Salmonella. I had to take Cipro along with Vanco. I did not get c- diff back but it was scary!

I think I have had blood in my urine every time they have looked at it for 30 years. My OBGYN would always tell me that when I went in for check-ups. No one ever seemed too upset by it. So I never worried about it.

My URO gave me a prescription for Elmiron. I made the decision to not take it. Ever since c-diff, I am really sensitive to any drug. I get hives and rashes. Even with blood pressure meds or diuretics. Elmiron has a lot of side effects so I am not taking it. It is a personal decision and I know it helps many people without causing side effects. We are all different.
I hope you find a URO who will work with you. Keep me posted. None of this is much fun. You just learn to deal with it. Everyone had something.
Anne

Also, no baths and "blot" with IC.

I, too, have IC - diagnosed by a scope. My main symptoms are blood in the urine and the feeling of having a UTI. (Bobbie)
Last edited by Bobbie on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: updating

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:12 pm

Jennie posted this.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:04 pm Post subject: Waterfall D-Mannose -for UTI's, could it help us?

This is a thinking out of the box question. Have today found out about a natural product, Waterfall D-Mannose, which is getting very good reviews on treating UTI's, in particular it flushes out antibiotic-resistant E-Coli, and deals with the damage caused. It is a natural fermented sugar that sticks to the bug, and so gets rid of it, and also helps get rid of the yeast. E-Coli also reoccurs, because of pods... its version of our spores.

The link is: http://www.waterfall-d-mannose.com/

Has anyone heard of this? I spoke to the people at Sweet Cures in York, UK, and we are checking out if it could help flush out c-diff. It seems to go straight to the urinary system, where it does its work. Might it help us? I googled it, and there is also a CA based company. It seems there are a number of copy products on the market, mainly diuretics, that is not the same as this product.

What is interesting is that E-coli comes from the gut, so am thinking I will try it, and post if there is an improvement. It may be an idea to try it with Grapeseed Extract.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:26 pm

Nancy posted this. Thx, Nancy.

Dear Friends,
I see that many of you got cdiff after being treated for UTIs. When I first got married I had UTIs all the time, was in the emergency room many times, lots of antibiotics. What I finally found out after some years was that if you get up and go to the bathroom right after sex, this cleans out your urinary tract. No bacteria, no UTIs. Voila! I never had another one (and it's been more years than I can remember!). Hope this helps.

Bobbie
Administrator

D. Mannose

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:16 am

A doctor (an expert in C. diff.) just recomended D. Mannose for UT infections. He says it's much better X 10.

Two posters on this site (Jennie & PattiK) have also mentioned it.

Bobbie
Administrator

Estrogen Cream

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:56 pm

Amanda (anlockwood) posted this. Thx.
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:33 pm Post subject:

I don't struggle with UTIs and pray to God I never do but have an idea of what might cause some of them. This one comes from watching Oprah of all things... lol. They said many times if you are also experiencing dryness in the area that it could be because of low estrogen levels. Estrogen keeps everything mosturized and when you don't have enough it allows the area to dry out and subsuquently crack allowing bacteria to enter. If this is a case there is a topical estrogen that can be applied that very little of it is absorbed into the body. Just an idea.
Amanda

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: UTI's - Urinary Tract Infections & IC

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:36 pm

by seekingcure » Sat Jul 26, 2014

I also thought Macrobid was only effective against e-coli, so I googled it. According to an article on medicine.net, http://www.medicinenet.com/nitrofurantoin/article.htm, it is, indeed, effective against other bacteria. Of course, the only way to be completely sure that a particular antibiotic will be effective against the specific bacteria that is causing your UTI is to have a culture and sensitivities done, as Bobbie suggested.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: UTI's - Urinary Tract Infections & IC

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:35 pm

Another hint: wash underwear alone in hot water - you can add a little bleach.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: UTI's - Urinary Tract Infections & IC - salve

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:40 pm

Another help for UTI's and IC is Estrace (generic estradiol) vaginal cream.

Return to “CDI - C. diff. Info. All You Want to Know and More”