Oil of Oregano

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Oil of Oregano

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:44 pm

Thank you for your post. Although we can't endorse products or methods of treatment, we are glad the oil of oregano helped you.

EsperaL
Brand New Poster

Postby EsperaL » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi,
I just purchased NOW brand Oil of Oregano softgels. Does anyone have any suggested resources on the correct dosage? This is oil of oregano already mixed with carrier oil. According to the bottle the oregano oil in each capsule is 0.2mL/181 mg.

The bottle suggests 1 per day, but I think I'm going to try two. Thanks in advance.

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:54 am

Like Bobbie mentioned in the above post, we don't endorse some unorthodox methods. I have tried oil of oregano. Personally, I wouldn't have more than the recommended dose that's on the label. Too much can cause GI upset. It also leave a horrible after burp taste, so I took one at night to help minimize the after taste. It is supposed to kill the good bacteria, but also kills the good, so be cautious of that. Good luck. Hope it works for you and you feel better, if you're sick, soon.
Michelle

kumara
Brand New Poster

Postby kumara » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:13 pm

Taking oil of oregano pills in carrier olive oil ( to kill the c-diff)
And betaine hcl with every meal ( to increase stomach acid ) very key as low stomach acid is named the
Culprit as bacteria and parasites run out of ccannot be control
Without hcl (Google it!)

For the first time in years I have relief. C-diff went untreated developed into toxic megacolon.
I noticed an improvement(stopped the almost constant gurgling in stomach) after one day.
Am now able to pass gas and bowel. Colon and intestines are coming back to normal.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:53 am

Kumara,
I'm so glad what you are doing seems to be working for you. Some people do have too little stomach acid and the betaine HCL may help, but others have too much stomach acid and this could make them worse. Same thing with Oil of Oregano. Could possibly help some but is not a proven treatment for c-diff. Always check with your own doctor before trying any treatment on your own, especially those you read about on Doctor Google.
Bea

blondie
Brand New Poster

Postby blondie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Hi! I was blessed to be in a hospital with an alternative medicine department who used oils when the antibiotics failed to kill my c-diff, and I'm a certified holistic health coach and essential oil educator. NOT a doctor, but good with natural remedies. Oil of oregano is recommended on many websites, but my alternative doctors cautioned to only use it externally as it can kill off yeasts (which keep c-diff at bay) and probiotics internally, much like antibiotics.

If you're interested, here's a link to my protocol. It's been very effective with multiple health coaching clients who were referred to me to deal with their c-diff. Hope it helps:)
http://dearmrsgreen.com/my-survival-story-and-protocol/

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:02 pm

I scanned your story and admire you for finding your own cure. Oregano has been touted for years as a cure for almost everything. We can't recommend alternate therapy - nor regular therapies unless we are familiar with them. Some of us do use alternate therapies for conditions like UTIs. FMTs are a form of natural therapy. I plan to see an alternative med doc in an effort to reduce my meds. Am glad it was available to you when you were so ill.

Why do doc's - usually males- insist medical conditions we know are serious are "in our heads."

Best to you and hope your health continues to improve.

emmarose
New User

Postby emmarose » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Oil of Oregano is the strongest herb for killing anything, and it is considered the strongest and most potent herbal antibiotic. It could quite possibly kill however I want to warn you, it is VERY strong, and can have effect on gut flora as well. I have taken it lengths as others and have felt weakened. Im not suggesting not to it, I just would recommend someone knowledgeable to help you with it. To not think simply because its an herb you can have strong amounts with no side effects.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:36 pm

We had a couple of posters who relapsed with c difficile after taking it.

espbooks
Brand New Poster

Postby espbooks » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:33 am

Hi all

what a great support group!! I wish I'd found this when I had C. diff. The information and feedback is valuable. Nice.

I got C diff December 2014 and the first thing my intuition went for was Wild Oil of Oregano. My dentist and the urgent care doctor both recommended Imodium, which in contraindicative, and could have caused Toxic Megacolon, the need for surgical intervention and/or death. This was from the doctors. Then I tested positive for Toxigenic C. diff and refused Flagyl and all other antibiotics. Did you know that Flagyl is banned in the UK? It is a "potential" carcinogen. It is banned in the USA for use with animals. But we're supposed to take it? I don't think so.

I treated my self with probiotics, prebiotics, diet, herbs, supplements, and care to restore the amazing gut flora. Did you know that we carry around 3 to 4 pounds of gut flora bacteria stuff to keep our bodies working well? I lost ten pounds immediately, getting down to 100 pounds at the lightest.

If I hadn't gotten well I probably would have tried phage therapy. If that didn't work I would consider fecal transplant. But I got well testing absolutely clean in March 2015. It took longer than I expected to get well and gain my weight back but at least I tested clean. What a horrible ordeal it was!!! Much love and good luck to all of you who still have this bacteria.

I put together a webpage full of information, videos, links and news updates:

may we all stay well
namaste

Moderators note
Link has been removed as payment is requested for the book.
Flagyl is not banned in the UK and is often used for animals in the US.

Krysda81
Brand New Poster

Postby Krysda81 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi. I just want to know for those that tried the oil of oregano, did it give diarhea. My stoll was a bit soft when i got the positive cdiff test back. But it's gotten more intense after my first dose of oil of oregano. Is that normal? Im also taking sacchromyces boulardii probiotics (florastor).

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:09 pm

Krysda,
You're posting in a three-year-old thread. And the question you're asking is unanswerable. No one is going to know what is or isn't "normal" in connection with this offbeat remedy that you've tried.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

pk1
Brand New Poster

Postby pk1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Positive test result for c diff this morning after taking Augmentin and then Cefdinir for sinus infection.
It's been awful for the past 2 weeks.
I'm very interested in the oil of oregano.
Started taking probiotic 30 billion last week.
Prescribed Flagyl this morning. Not looking forward to another antibiotic and more side effects!
Been taking garlic 5000 and GSE and ACV pills and thought I had the c diff symptoms under control however last night the symptoms returned.
I don't know what else to do!
I'm very angry that the dr didn't tell me this could happen!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi

This is an old thread, please repost your question to get responses. It sounds like this is your first experience with CDIFF, Flagyl is not considered a first line treatment any longer. Generally they sill start with Vancomycin. Speak with your physician. Flagyl can be very difficult to take.
Be careful with supplements!

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:22 pm

If by symptoms you mean frequent watery D then it probably needs treating.
I second what Nanci said about supplements, they should be used with caution.
Supplements and probiotics are medication that's not been tested so dont overdo them.
DO NOT rely on supplements if you have frequent watery D.
Ask your Dr for vanco or dificid, either are the treatment for c.diff, not flagyl.

Please start a thread of your own so you get more replies.

Return to “Treatments”