Tooth Extraction

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Tooth Extraction

Postby Kathy George » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi folks!!!!! I'm wondering what antibiotic would be suitable to take if an infection occurs after tooth extraction. I had my upper back tooth removed 11 days ago. My gum is still sore at extraction site and I am concern in regard to possible infection. Oral surgeon is aware of my C-Diff history, but is not well-versed in this particular area. Thank you for your feedback!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Tooth Extraction

Postby AllisS » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:49 pm

It is nice to "see" you again! Not sure what to suggest re: tooth extraction other than to avoid clindamycin. I was given cephalexin a few years ago after root-canal work and didn't have a problem with it. Others will likely have different recommendations.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:14 pm

My husband was told to rinse with Peridex and he did not need an antibiotic. Otherwise, I know Flagyl has been used on occasion. Doxycycline is one of the least offensive for c diff and when I took it last month, I read about it and it said that it was used for mouth and gum infections, so you might want to ask your dentist about that. My ID said it was one of the safer one.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Kathy, we've missed you and wondered what happened to you.

Unless your mouth becomes a lot worse, I would stick with the Peridex - a script med. Pen VK is not a big offender usually and covers most of the bacteria in the mouth,

See CDI - Antibiotics. Unfortunately, the list is out dated and doesn't include some of the new antibiotics. If it begins with "ceph" it is undoubtedly a cephlasporin - broad spectrum. You might also try warm salt water. Check with several pharmacists about antibiotics. They probably know more about them than most doctors. As Beth said, Doxy and Flagyl should be OK.

Welcome back!

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:02 am

I'm going to call the dentist. Do you think I can take Vanco instead of Flagyl along with Doxy??? I might just decide to do a fecal infusion along with antibiotics if necessary. I'll keep you informed. Thanks for the feedback.
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:30 am

Doxycycline is what my dentist and ID agreed would be best for me to use if I decide to go through with the gum surgery I need. However, it was to be used for prevention of infection rather than an active infection. They recommended one capsule of 100 mg. per day for seven days. Let us know what you decide.
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:21 pm

I took the doxycycline without vanco and I did some stool infusions as well - one before and then after, but I also had to take a Zpak because doxy was not effective against whooping cough. The doxy did not bother my intestines at all. The Zpak did.

pinkangel
Regular Contributor

Postby pinkangel » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:16 am

I have been having minor tooth infection on a tooth and took penicillin for a URI and it seemed to clear up the tooth as well. I believe this is on the list of low offenders. I also took a zpack for 3 days before the penicillin but I would not recommend that drug just because of the fact it causes stomach upsets in a lot of people.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”