topical antibiotics and c diff question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sickofthis
Regular Contributor

topical antibiotics and c diff question

Postby sickofthis » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Burnt my hand and applied Silver sulfadiazine topically, applied it a couple of times before the thought occurred to me that it may be an antibiotic. Well looked it up and turns out it is a sulfa antibiotic cream, so needless to say the panic attack has started. How does topical antibiotics affect us c diff people? How does sulfa fit on the scale for us c diff survivors? I only used it a couple of times but obviously it absorbed into my skin. When would I know if I am safe? Would you think it would hit reality quickly say a week or two? Or would it creep up on me in say 8 weeks. I cant believe this. And of course ever since I found it it was an antibiotic cream my stomach has been upset but I'm assuming that's my nerves.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: topical antibiotics and c diff question

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:41 pm

Even if you took sulfa as pills, it is a very low offender for c diff. The only topical antibiotic that you have to be careful with is clindamycin. I used it before and it contributed to my c diff and even before c diff, it would give me D. I use Neosporin antibiotic cream all the time, even the ointment inside my nose, which is a place that absorbs quickly into the body. I've never had a problem. People have used ear drops, eye drops, etc. without problem. I would not worry, but check with your doctor if you are apprehensive.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”