So frustrated

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
susant
Regular Contributor

So frustrated

Postby susant » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:27 am

I thought I was going to be lucky after being off vanco for three weeks without a relapse. Now I have a urinary tract infection caused by an overgrowth of group b strep so macrobid probably isn't going to work. I'm taking it now in hopes that it works but of course it doesn't seem to be doing any good. My doctor said I'll have to take amoxicillin if it fails. My gi basically told me he doesn't treat uti s and I have to do what my pcp tells me to but to take a probiotic with it which I already do. Seriously? This is a life and death situation and I'm basically hearing good luck from my doctors. I'm so frustrated at this point and ready to give up at the age of 26!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: So frustrated

Postby Bobbie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:35 am

I would try to get into see a urologist ASAP.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:32 am

Or maybe get a consult from an infectious disease doctor.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:43 pm

I think I am getting another UTI, too. I an on 50 mg Macrobid as a preventative - 80% of all UTI's are caused by E. coli - but then there is the other 20%. I also have IC - so it's difficult to tell.

Drink lots of fluid - which makes you go to the bathroom more - which makes you think you have a UTI - vicious cycle.

Best to you.

sickofthis
Regular Contributor

Postby sickofthis » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Bobbie - do you take the cranberry pills as a preventive? Just a thought since you have recurring UTI's.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:37 pm

No, I can't because I have IC (google it). If you have IC, you aren't supposed to drink cranberry juice because it is too acidic. Cranberry does help some (without IC) but mostly as a preventative. There is also a supplement called D. Mannose that some swear by. I tried it with moderate success sometimes.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:05 pm

Hoping you both will be ok. Drinking more water is good advice. Hang in there you two. Isn't there anything else you can take that is a lower offender than Amoxicilin? I would ask. If not, you know the drill, take plenty of probiotics and florastor and you might be fine. I will keep you both in my prayers. Carol
CAROL

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:28 pm

A dilemma with antibiotics is that a low-offending one won't necessarily address the specific infection or infection risk. Wide-spectrum (and riskier) antibiotics are often prescribed because they cover an array of infecting organisms when the precise organism causing infection isn't known. That said, it doesn't hurt to ask if a lower-risk antibiotic might not also be effective.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Another idea - call pharmacist and ask questions. I often do it - they know more about meds. than most docs. because this is what they study.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”