did vanco stain my teeth?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
naaple
New User

did vanco stain my teeth?

Postby naaple » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:58 pm

I had my teeth cleaned shortly before getting c diff. They were all clean and white. Now after 2 months of c diff, my teeth are all yellow and discolored. It's disgusting! I never had problems with staining before, and I used to drink coffee! I haven't changed my dental cleaning habits, but I have noticed its harder to get my teeth feeling clean and smooth. I have been on liquid vanco. Could this be the cause of the staining? I also took flagyl, but not for long.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: did vanco stain my teeth?

Postby Bobbie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:08 am

Don't believe I've seen this on the site before. Oral Vanco. Has few side effects. I would call your pharmacist and your doc. And ask them. I'd also do some research online. If you are on another med. It could be a reaction between them. There is a extra strong fluoride tooth paste that protects the enamel on your
teeth. Ask your dentist about it

Has anyone else had this reaction to liquid Vanco?

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:47 am

Yes, I had terrible stains from the liquid Vanco. I thought everyone did. Good news is when you finish the dentist can knock the stain right off with a cleaning. I would wait until you are completely over the Cdiff and know you won't be taking any more Vanco before you get them cleaned again. It is a nasty looking stain, gets between teeth but the dentist gets it off so don't worry. Hope this helps. Carol
CAROL

naaple
New User

Postby naaple » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Carol, we may be the only ones with this problem! I haven't found much information about this any where else. I'm not taking any other meds, so it has to be the vanco. What a bummer, as if I needed another reason not to smile these days...

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:20 am

Don't let it get you down, like I said the stain comes right off. You go on and smile anyway, it will make you feel better. Carol
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:56 pm

I didn't have a stain from liquid Vanco. but, as Carol said, it can be removed. I have perio. disease and have to see dentist/perio. every 3 months - probably why stain wasn't as noticeable.

Do smile. We have a saying, "I continue to smile - because I can." This is a quote from one of our posters ( Lisa N.) who had a terrible time getting rid of C. diff. - but did.

jfs8
Brand New Poster

Postby jfs8 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:50 pm

My daughter has had the stains too and the gi told me it wasn't from the oral vanco but her dentist said it was and was able to scrap it off. A power brush did help control the stains a little bit and now she is starting to have symptoms again and this will be her fourth tine on vanci in the last year, I hate this stuff. I try not to make a big deal of the stains since she is 8 years old.

8years
Brand New Poster

Postby 8years » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:33 am

It took 8 years and 5 different Gastroenterologists to finally diagnose my c.diff.
After 2 14 day courses of liquid vanco my symptoms are GONE!

About ten days later I noticed dark gray/brownish staining on my front teeth. I finally realized it might be from the Vanco and the other posts here confirmed my suspicions.

Thank you for the information about having your dentist remove the stains. I will pursue that tomorrow.

Wishing everyone with c.diff speedy recoveries from their symptoms!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:16 am

This is a very old post , some of the posters here are not even active.

Return to “Treatments”