c-diff and post-partum

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
nutmegchan
New User

Re: c-diff and post-partum

Postby nutmegchan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:55 pm

yeah i'm definitely not back to what i used to be but at least it's also definitely not c diff. oh well, these things just take time! unfortunately that's the part that drives us all crazy i think...

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:24 am

You betcha - 3rd day off Vanco. - but who is counting???

JoElizabeth
Regular Contributor

Postby JoElizabeth » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:00 am

I have a wretched IBS as well. It seems like those of us who took Dificid have pretty bad IBS. Interesting.

AThurston
Long Time Contributor

Postby AThurston » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:05 pm

I have the horrible IBS sx as well and now that you all have talked about it my sx increased when on dificid and vanc together and no better and at times it is worse, that is very interesting.
Alletta

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:46 pm

I never took Dificid, only vanco, and later Xifaxan as a chaser and I have horrible IBS too. The vanco made it bad, the Xifaxan actually helped it some. Xifaxan is given for SIBO as well as IBS and I have that, so maybe that is why it helped some. I have not taken it though since my stool transfer. The IBS/SIBO is horrible and I have food intolerances too.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:49 pm

About one out of five people who had a bout with C. diff. develop IBS. It can vary in time. I had it for years, but it gradually got better, but now I have C. diff. again. IBS is preferable to C. diff! Symptoms are similar though. See CDI - The Three Day Rule and CDI - IBS.

kateddc
Brand New Poster

Postby kateddc » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Great reading all your posts and thoughts on this awful, awful situation. I tried the Difficid for 10 days (after a 5th relapse) and as of today, 6 days off the meds, my symptoms have returned. My ID doc is starting me on a Vanco taper today with florestor then moving to the VSL as I begin to taper off. To make matters worse, my 4 month old son has also just been diagnosed with the B strain. I've been on flagyl, vanco, etc. since he's been born and asked his docs the entire time if it was safe for him to be exposed to ongoing antibiotics with the breast milk. They assured me he would be fine. However, after 2 months he developed d. and it hasn't eased up. My own doc said he should have not been exposed to the flagyl and that had probably made him vulnerable to this. But other disagree. Either way, ee did two other c-diff tests for him (the EIA test) both came back negative. The ped said he probably had a milk protein allergy so we switched to formula for sensitive bellys. Finally last week, one more test later (PCR), and they say he's positive for the b-strain. He has no other symptoms except mild d 5 - 7 times a day and is growing, gaining weight, and a happy kid. They want to treat him with oral vanco for 14 days and florestor for kids, but I hesitate moving him to antibiotics since he's not showing other signs. Thoughts?

I'm beside myself about this. I've been washing my hands until they're bleed, we've wiped down our whole house, etc. yet he still tested positive for the B toxin. I worry that he's so young to be on these drugs already and that his whole system is out of control. I've asked his ped ID doc to retest him and they said the B toxin from the PCR is very conclusive.

I can't even focus on the fact that I've relapsed for now the 6th time and am at my wits end with this crap - literally!

kateddc
Brand New Poster

Postby kateddc » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:47 pm

PS - the ped ID doc believes he is the reason I cannot get rid of this and he keeps reinfecting me. If that's the case, not sure how to avoid this cycle.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 pm

From what I understand, many babies have c diff in their system and they do not get treated for it. When their GI tract matures, at about two years of age, they usually don't test positive anymore. Having a positive test without symptoms is not a reason to treat from what I have read. You can do a search online and probably find the same information. I treated my c diff prematurely and I am very sorry that I did. Unless he has worse symptoms, I too, would hesitate to treat, but I am not a doctor and I think you should get a second opinion about this from a pediatric GI if at all possible. I understand your worry and frustration. If the doctor thinks that the baby is infecting you, then I guess you just have to be really careful when chaning diapers. Wear disposable rubber gloves like they do in the hospital. You could ask the doctor if you could try the Florastor alone first, without the vanco, and see if that helps him. I have had positive tests before with PCR and I took Pepto Bismol and my tests went to negative. Maybe the Florator would help him to do that as well. As I said, these are just my thoughts as I read your post and you should definitely check it out with a doctor. If your son is being treated by a pediatrician, then ask for a referral to a pediatric GI. That type of doctor would know best.

renamom
Regular User

Postby renamom » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:35 pm

I think you should really consider a fecal transplant via colonoscopy Or enema

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Hey, all,
The questions and information exchange in this thread are so vital...especially since many involve the health of small children.
However, this thread is too long...and getting longer. Let's start a new one with a similar title.
Thanks and God bless.
Anne

nutmegchan
New User

Postby nutmegchan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:04 pm

i just wanted to announce that today officially marks my 3 month mark off of antibiotics! i can tell my insides still have a bit of adjusting to do, but i've finally made it over the hurdle!

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Great News!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:33 pm

As Anne said, this thread is too long. Please START A NEW THREAD or this one will be "clipped."

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:00 pm

Wow I foung this old post, and yes I am another mother who got cdiff postpartum 3 weeks after childbirth, after antibiotics to treat stitches infection.
It seems to be more common in new moms I guess... Since we all deliver in hospitals and infants often carry the bacteria.
Im now 2 months tested negative, but my digestive system is still not normal, having tons of horrible syptoms... Glad to hear it takes time to go back to normal, but that eventually, Godwillingly, it does get back to normal.
I am sad to be stolen my precious moments with my newborn as well and of all the pump and dump I had to do... But hey this is life, at least thanks God we are alive.

Return to “Success Stories”