IBS -- Irritable Bowel Sydrome & The Three Day Rule

Organized Answers to Frequently Asked Questions. Only Moderators may post here.
Bobbie
Administrator

IBS -- Irritable Bowel Sydrome & The Three Day Rule

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:45 am

Many people (approximately l in 5) develop IBS after C. diff. The symptoms are similar to C. diff. - sending many to be retested time after time. C. diff. drastically irritates and inflames your GI tract. Don't expect things to return to "normal" immediately. IBS is not a definite diagnosis but a syndrome - a group of symptoms. Testing should not be done when you are On c diff meds or just off them. (See info in CDI under Diagnosis and Testing.)

The Three Day Rule: Don't be alarmed by mild symptoms unless you have three "bad" days in a row or if your symptoms become drastically worse. In this happens, call your doctor. Please remember, this is just a guideline to use when you panic after one or two bad days and think, "Oh, IT'S back." It doesn't always apply, but what does with C. diff. ? It's a variable and frustrating disease.

Many people have said this rule helped them during their bout with C. diff, and they are using the phrase on other C. diff. sites. It can be helpful in telling the difference between IBS and a C diff relapse. Remember, however, I "made up" the term during my first bout of C diff because it fit what I was going through. It IS NOT medical. If in doubt, call your doc.
Last edited by Bobbie on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: updating

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:21 pm

Some authorities think IBS is linked to fructose intolerence. Here are some web sites that Kelleigh contributed on this subject. Thanks, Kelleigh.

http://www.uihc.uiowa.edu/FRUCTOSE/index.htm

http://www.healthscout.com/template.asp ... &id=504052

http://www.lowcarbresearch.org/lcr/resu ... order=DESC

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:20 pm

Allison posted this. Thx, Allison.

YES! That is exactly my point - your SIL does not have post-infectious IBS, right? Hers is the "common" variety, if it did not arise from an infection and no other cause can be found. For that type of often seen IBS, anti-spasmodic drugs can be effective. Most folks see a waxing and waning of symptoms over time which can be quite variable, usually episodic, and life-long.

But there truly is a difference between the two syndromes and one can preface the other. Just because IBS is a motility or mechancial problem does not mean all cases share the same etiology or arise from the same processes in the colon.

The word "POST" is key, meaning absolutely AFTER the infection has resolved. We get into trouble when it looks like cdiff is gone, but symptoms remain that indicate it is not. So hence come the tests.

If certain symptoms remain (including pain or not), there is no obvious relapse, and further evaluations do not reveal anything, of course we're gonna get saddled with the IBS moniker. Initially, it is of the post-infectious variety and can continue for unbelievably long periods of time.

This is most often NOT life long and is only an appropriate dx if three criteria are met:
1. Extensive workups yield no obvious pathology or underlying disease. (Especially IBD)
2. There is no indication that cdiff is still active (this means over an extended period AFTER successful therapy)
3. Colitis and fever are absent.

If you had or have any inflammation, it IS colitis.
It takes various forms and blood does not have to be present.
Mild form = inflammation, severe = frank bleeding.
Yes, if your colitis was the source of pain, and the pain abates when the colitis resolves, it's reasonable to say that was the cause and not "just IBS."

But there must be some other symptoms present that lead to the IBS dx or your doctor has been remiss. What are they in your case? Do you meet the above criteria?

For patients who meet the above criteria yet still have remaining symptoms (diarrhea, loose stools, cramping pain, constipation, inconsistency with bathroom habits, mucousy stools - NO BLOOD) an IBS diagnosis is totally acceptable. Doesn't mean we have to like it, though.

However, I do agree that too many docs use the IBS label inappropriately -that is before enough time has elapsed to watch for more obvious problems if there are any, including a relapse with cdiff.

It is truly a diagnosis of exclusion.
Last edited by Bobbie on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:27 pm

Skeeter contributed this info.

If you haven't already, check out http://www.ibsgroup.org for a ton of information on IBS. It's somewhat overwhelming at first, but I have found a ton of information on that site, and thanks to a lot of reading, the info I found there has helped me so far.
Last edited by Bobbie on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:50 pm

Check FAQ-SIBO for possible relationship.

Moderator Comment: Remember, only a doc. can diagnose medical conditions.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:23 pm

babyram donated this site.
http://www.helpforibs.com
Last edited by Bobbie on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: IBS -- Irritable Bowel Sydrome

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:29 pm

JenniferH posted this info. about IBS.

I thought this list may help a little. I found it on the internet.

Symptoms of IBS may include:

Stomach cramps
Constipation
Diarrhea
Alternating constipation and diarrhea
Feeling that you haven't finished a bowel movement
Gas
Bloating
Mucus in the stool

Often IBS is just a mild annoyance, but for some people it can be disabling. They may be unable to go to social events, work, or to travel even short distances. Most people with IBS, however, are able to control their symptoms through diet, stress management, and medicines.
Last edited by Bobbie on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:10 am

http://www.everydayhealth.com/sanjay-gu ... lp00000058

From Doctors House Call on Sunday, August l8, 2013, on FOX news.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:26 am

Last edited by Bobbie on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “CDI - C. diff. Info. All You Want to Know and More”