C. Diff with Baby Due in 3 Days!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bure96
Regular User

C. Diff with Baby Due in 3 Days!

Postby Bure96 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:08 pm

Hi all - Been a while since I've posted here. I dealt with a bout of c. Diff back in 2016 after several rounds of antibiotics due to sinus infections. I ended up taking Flagyl and then Vancomycin and my c. Diff resolved. I've been fine since, but I've taken Florastor on and off anyway. Anyway, my wife and I are expecting our baby to be born on Monday, July 26. This past Sunday (July 18), I came down with some ear pain and congestion. I went to urgent care and they prescribed me Augmentin. Initially they told me to hold off on taking it to see if my symptoms went away on their own, but after I told him that I was expecting a baby in 8 days, he told me I should actually take it now because if I have a Strep infection then that could be very dangerous for the baby.

I took the Augmentin despite my fears of a relapse. I was taking a probiotic from Whole Food as well as Florastor. 24 hours after starting Augmentin, my ear pain went away but I started having some D. I sent my GP a note and she advised that if I felt better, I could stop the antibiotic and monitor my symptoms. I felt sick, but not too bad for a couple days. But today I have come down with a fever, chills, headache, and malaise. Also I've had watery D about 6 times already today. I am going to go to the urgent care to see if I can get tested for COVID, strep, and C. Diff. I assume they don't do stool samples at urgent care. Is there a type of test I should insist on? I need results quick, but I want them to be accurate since I have the baby coming so soon (he could even arrive tonight for all I know).

Please help! I would be heartbroken if I couldn't be there for the birth of my first child.

Bure96
Regular User

Re: C. Diff with Baby Due in 3 Days!

Postby Bure96 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:29 am

Update: I went to the ER last night and got some tests done, including a stool sample. Doc thinks I have c. Diff again and prescribed vancomycin. Probably won’t get the results of the stool test for another day or two, but I’ll probably start taking the Vanco anyway because I’m having pretty severe D (5 times already this morning). I hope it works.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:52 pm

I have found when I got my test done at the hospital lab I got the results no later than the next day.
Call your dr’s service and ask them to call the hospital for the results. Hopefully it is antibiotic diarrhea and not c diff.

And ask for a culture and sensitivity when you might or might not need antibiotics. The results can be surprising.
Best of luck to you and on the birth of your baby. I hope this turns out well.

Rita

Bure96
Regular User

Postby Bure96 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:52 pm

My stool sample results just came in: "POSITIVE FOR C. DIFFICILE BY PCR. NEGATIVE FOR C. DIFFICILE TOXIN BY IMMUNOASSAY." Not really sure what to make of this. I've had awful watery D for the past 2 days (6-10x per day), but maybe I should just wait to be sure it doesn't go away. Any thoughts?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:53 am

Wait for what ?!? If you already have the WD for two days and it's clearly not getting better you might end up very very sick . It's true that we advise some posters here not to panic if they have minor symptoms (2-3 looser stools per day ,mild discomfort ,smell ,etc) but your symptoms seem pretty bad and might get worse , so i would fill in that prescription if i were you.

Bure96
Regular User

Postby Bure96 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:14 pm

georgina wrote:

Georgina, I guess I’m not sure if it’s actually a C Diff infection because the toxin results were negative. I've read that if PCR is positive, but EIN/toxin test is negative, that's considered a negative result. If I start Vanco I’m worried it could do more harm than good if I don’t actually have CDI.

My first two stools this morning had a little formation, but I had a couple minor bouts of WD since. My entire lower digestive system just feels angry and inflamed. I called the hospital and the doc said that given my symptoms and history, he recommended starting the Vanco despite the test results, so I just took my first pill. Wish me luck!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:37 am

Several WD's for several days +Positive PCR for me is definitely Cdiff. The other test that is made to determine the A/B toxin has less accuracy then the PCR.

Bure96
Regular User

Postby Bure96 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:09 am

I started on the vancomycin yesterday. I'm still having several BMs per day (already up to 4 this morning) and afterwards my lower colon/rectum just feels so achy. Hopefully the vanco starts to help. It's the due date for our baby. I'm hoping he stays put for a little while longer to give me more time to recover. This is just miserable, but I appreciate the comments and support so far.

Bure96
Regular User

Postby Bure96 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:37 pm

Just to update: I've been on vancomycin for 6 days now. My BMs are nearly back to normal. The only difference is that I feel like I need to go a bit more urgently and I am going about 2x per day when I normally only go 1x per day. Otherwise I feel pretty good. Baby is still not here...my wife will be induced in a few days if he still hasn't arrived by then.

I'm hoping that I continue to feel better and that I don't suffer a relapse. Thanks all for the advice and for just providing a place for me to vent.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:18 pm

Glad to hear you are feeling better and hopefully you will be able to enjoy the new baby!

Bure96
Regular User

Postby Bure96 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:21 pm

Well the good news is the baby is here and he’s doing great. However, today (after feeling basically normal since day 3 of Vanco) I have had 4 or 5 bouts of WD. I’m really hoping it’s not a relapse but it sure feels like it. I’m seeing a new GP tomorrow (just moved to the area) so I’ll discuss with her. Hopefully she can refer me to a GI for follow up.

Bure96
Regular User

Postby Bure96 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:07 pm

So I’m back in the hospital. Had 15 or so bouts of WD in one day plus chills, fever and headache. Docs started me on Dificid. Staying here a day or two. Kind of wish they had done a Vanco taper instead but I guess this is also an acceptable treatment.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:54 pm

Dificid works better often than vanco. Some people who have failed vanco did well with Dificid. Ask your doctor about doing a Dificid taper. Some have done that as well successfully.

Bure96
Regular User

Postby Bure96 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:08 am

They had to take me off the Dificid due to allergic reaction. I’m having a bad rash. Going back on Vanco, possibly with a taper. I’m really stressed out about all this. I am scared.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:55 am

Vanco taper has worked for many. Eventually everyone seems to get rid of c difficile. It just takes some longer than others. Hang in there!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”