8 months post FMT and still having issue

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

8 months post FMT and still having issue

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:55 am

I had my FMT on July 14, 2020, about 8 months. I have tested negative for C Diff antigen and toxin several times since my FMT. But I am still having many GI issues. Is it normal? I still haven't had one formed bowel. Most bowels are soft Bristol 5, and loose ( Bristo 6). I have abdominal pain regularly, even though I am on a bland diet. I try a little bit of new food every few days, but I normally cannot tolerate it.

Please don't get me wrong, this is not nearly as bad as when I had C Diff, but I do like to get back to semi-normal and eat other things besides the bland diet and maybe have a drink once a while.

Is this normal? How long it takes to get back to normal after FMT?

Thanks
Ali
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: 8 months post FMT and still having issue

Postby georgina » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:51 pm

When all this covid thing will be under control , it may be a good idea to start looking for other illnesses . Maybe get checked for SIBO , a fecal calprotectin test for IBD , a food allergens panel etc , not just assume that CDiff is the main cause of all your issues. I too had years of D , even with a successful FMT and two negative antigen test result after the FMt i was still a wreck , endless D , i was in pain like a half of the month ,lost so much weight. Went to see more doctors , GI's , immunologist ,ginecologist, and i discovered (a year after my FMT) that i had endometriosis in my culdesac and on my utherosacral ligaments and peritoneum (which is also a inflammatory condition ) and had surgery , and THANK GOD after the surgery i've been very well GI wise , D stopped , pain stopped ,everything went back to normal. I still get minor IBS depends on what i eat but NOTHING like before.I know that you a man , endo is definitely not something you get obviously , but i just wanted to point out that if you get checked properly you might discover something that can be there without you even knowing it.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: 8 months post FMT and still having issue

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:39 pm

Thanks, Georgia. I agree, I was also thinking to get checked for other issues. That said, I didn't have any of these GI issues before the C Diff.

I had the fecal calprotectin test several times. The last 4 test results were strange:

4/25/2020: 825 ug/g. (when I had C Diff )
7/25/2020: <16 ug/g (one week after FTM)
9/2/2020: 77 ug/g (two months after FMT)
11/21/2020: <5 ug/g 4 months after FMT

It is kind of strange that it when up to 77 ug/g for a short period of time in Sep. and then back down to 5 ug/g two months later

Regards,
Ali
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Return to “Too Much Information”