Formed stools that crumble/disintegrate!

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
healthys
Contributor

Formed stools that crumble/disintegrate!

Postby healthys » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Hello everyone,

I guess this section is the right one to ask a few questions on my case.

I am 10 weeks post vanco. I have 1-2 BMs daily, mostly 2 and on some rare days 1 a day.
The issue is that my morning BMs range from formed to loose. The morning BM starts with a fully formed stool that comes out but then starts to disintegrate very quickly in the water and then followed by loose stools that crumble as well. In the end it looks like just a mass of crumble, disintegrated stools with no form whatsoever!!

A second stool in the day almost always is loose and crumbling and sometimes with foam. The foam looks like champagne bubbles fizzing lol!

Please let me know if any of you experience these kind of stools weeks after treatment?

The only changes I have made is I have reduced the amount of Florastor I take in the past 2-3 weeks. I went from 4 to 2 and now to 1 a day.

Side Note: I also get a lot of acne on my face ( at 32 it is really not fun to be experiencing so much acne around chin, forehead etc)! I thought Florastor could be causing it along with the PI-IBS so I reduced the florastor.

Please, also let me know if any of you has experienced acne and what eventually helped?

Appreciate your support and advice so much!!

Thank you!

twoscoop
New User

Re: Formed stools that crumble/disintegrate!

Postby twoscoop » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi there. I'm actually going through a similar situation. I start off with a hard dark nugget, then a regular brown colored sausage shaped, and the last one is pretty formed but is powder/dusty. (Sometimes complete mush) There's a shape to it but if you poke at it, it falls apart. It's been 5 months since my cdiff treatment but I'm having so many issues with my stool. I used to take 2 florastors a day but I lowered it to 1. I'm still doing some trial and error but I managed to keep it consistent right now. I am back to taking 2 florastors, lowered fiber, went back to a strict bland diet with rice and potatoes, started walking, and drinking kefir. It's been 3 days and so far my stool color and shape has gotten better!

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:48 pm

Thank you Twoscoop for the response! Interesting that lowering fiber is helping you. I thought adding more fiber helps keep the BMs formed ?

What do the others think?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:42 pm

After c diff we often have stools that we call the “new normal”. Stools don’t look the same and frequency can change. Many foods are poorly tolerated as the gut is healing, especially fiber. It would be a good idea to cut back on fiber, especially raw vegetables and fruits, and add foods gradually so you can see what is tolerated best.

Any stools that are are not multiple d for 3 days in a row is normal and you are healing.

Rita

twoscoop
New User

Postby twoscoop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:15 pm

I thought fiber would help me too, but turns out it was messing me up. I think too much (maybe my fault for doing it all of a sudden) but I felt like my digestive system couldn't break down the fiber too well so it was causing issues. Everyday my stool is different!! It really freaks me out but I guess it's the new normal and as someone mentioned...just as long as you aren't having D for 3 days, you should be ok. I really want to believe that but it's mentally stressful!

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:01 pm

I think it's important to note the distinction between soluble and insoluble fiber. For me, soluble fiber helps to make my stools more solid, whereas insoluble fiber makes it looser/more watery and frequent, with a faster transit time. Things like leafy green vegetables, fruits and veggies with their skin on, broccoli, corn, and green peas are foods that I need to be careful with. I'm now 7.5 months out from treatment, and I still have issues. It can take a very long time to recover. I sometimes have stool that comes out formed and then crumbles into a pile of sand as well, especially after eating certain vegetables, like peas, sweet potatoes, or butternut squash, or after having too much fruit juice. I do still eat these foods (in moderation) because I'm trying to have a varied diet, but you should do what works best for you.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:29 pm

Instant cure
1. Dont look
2. close lid
3. flush
Problem solved.

twoscoop
New User

Postby twoscoop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:32 pm

Have you guys had a colonoscopy after cdiff? I'm unsure if I should get one. When is it usually needed? I have no abdominal pain or discomfort and go regularly but only issue is it's all over the place.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:26 pm

Hi Twoscoop - I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy done when I was at the end of my treatment (a vanco taper). The reason for that was I had ongoing rectal bleeding, which turned out to be internal hemorrhoids. Usually a colonoscopy isn't necessary following cdiff. To me it sounds like your recovery is normal, having BMs all over the place is generally how it is. A colonoscopy is recommended for people starting at age 50, or age 40 if they have a family history of colon cancer. My husband has Crohn's disease, which was diagnosed with colonoscopy when he was 39 after he had certain symptoms. It's an invasive procedure, so it's not to be taken lightly in my opinion.

twoscoop
New User

Postby twoscoop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi poppy. Thank you for your reply. Yes it's very invasive and would definitely like to avoid it. I'm just trying to understand the whole healing process. I never thought it would be this rough! I actually do have some bleeding going on but I am sure it's internal hems along with a fissure. It all started after cdiff and I got constipated so I had very hard odd shaped nuggets that ended up cutting me. It was painful, and later on I had an internal hem. They only bleed when I pass a hard stool. I also know it's a hem because it comes out and goes back in lol. I got a cream from a GI but I have an appointment with a proctologist so she can scope me. It's really tough trying to get this healed when you don't know what kind of stool you are going to produce each day. Ive kept a stool and food journal so it is helping me eliminate foods that could be the cause.

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:18 pm

Haha! Thank you Roy! As always the most practical advice :) I will try not to look or think about them!

Thank you Rita, yes I do eat fruits like berries and bananas everyday. I can try to reduce the intake and see!

Thank you Poppy and Twoscoop for responding as well!

Return to “Too Much Information”