Keflex after Cdiff and FMT

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Keflex after Cdiff and FMT

Postby NanciT » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:23 pm

Good to hear things are going well, you are doing all you can and that is the best we can do..

Talk with your Urologist about D Mannose. I started on this back in 2014/15 after having bladder issues from Vanco, it can help prevent UTI's. The dose is important so speak with them about that.

If you are past menopause and this is very dependent on that, some also use premerin or estrace cream but this depends on a person's age. It can help.

Lots of fluid, I drink alot of water!! Keeping things flushed out is really important.

Hang in there!

NanciT

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:51 am

A little worried today. I woke up and had some loose BM’s. It wasn’t watery but not formed either. It also has a smell to it which has me concerned. I’m trying not to panic as I know to follow the 3x3 rule but it has me a bit scared. I stopped taking the florastor and the kefir as I’m pretty sure one of those was causing me some belly discomfort. I’ve been taking this brand of probiotics found in the refrigerated section at Whole Foods called ancient probiotics and it’s a gut restore one. No fever and I haven’t lost my appetite but I’m so nervous about this. My original experience, I didn’t get symptoms until about a week after the antibiotic use. Tuesday will be one week post antibiotic. This feels like torture.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:02 pm

Hang in there, we all have "off" days. For myself, that is how it has been the last 6 weeks. One day is OK, the next two not. I find what I eat plays a big role in how I feel the next AM.
I know the waiting is horrible, but day by day see them as little victories. I try hard an not let a bad day or two get to me. Right now in the middle of this pandemic, my focus is to stay inside and healthy.

The worry is awful, but if you can allow yourself to have a bad day or two it will be easier. I also have a plan...in case it does return. It makes me feel better to do that. This time I worked with my ID and thankfully she agreed with my plan to extend the DIficid.

Wishing you better days ahead!

NanciT

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:09 pm

Well, I’m praying. I have a cdiff test ordered but I don’t want to do it yet. I’ve been taking Bentyl which was prescribed by my GI for my post infectious IBS. I just hope it doesn’t turn into my worst fear. People who have never gone through this just don’t understand how distressing it can be.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:11 pm

I wouldn't focus too much on the smell of your BMs. For most of us c. diff had a strange smell, but when I was recovering there were days where it smelled strange and I was sure I was relapsing when it was just a bad couple days of IBS symptoms and not a relapse.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:29 am

You’re right LHutz. It’s weird because I never really remember focusing on the smell when I was sick originally. I don’t really recall it being extremely smelly like others mention. Good news is I felt a little better this afternoon and evening after I posted my last post. I took Bentyl and it seemed to calm things down a bit. I haven’t had any other BM’s today. I took gas X a little while ago and some IBGard and I felt great actually for a little while but I got a little brave and drank some French pressed coffee my husband made because it smelled so good and now it hurts a little bit again. Self induced pain gets no pity, LOL! I’m sure that if I was really relapsing, the medications wouldn’t work that well. I’m still hoping it’s just IBS or my body working to fight off any infection by itself. Fingers crossed. Tuesday will be one week since I stopped the antibiotic which was the amount of time it took me the first time and original time I had cdiff following my last antibiotic. Nothing will make me feel better except for time.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:45 pm

I’m getting more worried. I haven’t had a completely formed BM in a couple of days. I began to have the belly pain on Saturday and it seems like every day since, I’ve had belly pain and soft stool or even more like diarrhea at times. Never completely formed. I have 1-2 BM’s a day but all are painful and loose although not watery and have an odor. I have no fevers or lack of appetite but I am scared to eat many things as I’m afraid it will exacerbate my symptoms. So, at what point do I become more concerned about this and get tested? I’m so scared to be treated too soon but then not soon enough. If I am relapsing, is it possible yet that my body could fight it off? Or is that not even possible. I’m just hoping for some honest advice here. I just need to know what the proper steps are here. I’m just scared and don’t want to be treated but I also don’t want to ignore my symptoms either. Please help.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:05 am

Keflex was really hard on my GI tract before I ever heard of c difficile. If the problems persist, I would probably get a test to see if it has come back. I would rather just know than wonder, but that is me.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:15 am

I believe I have a cdiff test ordered already through my pcp. I have an appointment tomorrow evening to see her so I will pick the test up. Even if I test and possibly test positive, how appropriate is it to treat right now based off of my symptoms? I guess my question is, if my symptoms are mild, will my body possibly fight it off yet or is that not possible? Also, how appropriate is it to insist on Dificid right away and not mess around with vanco? Last time I tested when symptoms were considered mild like this and was treated with Flagyl unknowingly that it wasn’t the best choice. Went to the GI and he switched me in the middle of my flagyl course to vanco and then I relapsed 1 week later. After that it was a continuous relapse after every course of vanco and then I got really sick like, D 20-30 times a day and fevers. My old GI refused to try Dificid at that time claiming the drug was too new and it wasn’t comfortable trying it. I ended up with FMT in the end. I have new doctors this time. Just confused about if I maybe treated too soon the first time and if I’m supposed to wait longer to see if symptoms worsen or improve first. It’s all very confusing and scary. Thanks for all of your kind answers

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:31 am

I tested positive after I was given IV antibiotics while in the hospital. I had FMT prior, a few years before. My GI and ID both said not to treat because by the time the test came back, I no longer had D. They told me to just use Pepto Bismol if needed. I never wound up having to treat, but I did get a bottle of Dificid because I was going on vacation and did not want to be without anything in case the symptoms got worse. If you do need to treat at some point, and hopefully you won't, I would ask for DIficid. It kills the least good flora and targets the c difficile more specifically.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:59 am

I am in a similar situation as you. My symptoms are extremely mild but my doctor urged me to test again and sure enough, it was positive. But I have chosen not to treat. I can't justify taking more antibiotics while having 1 normal BM per day. I picked up the prescription (another Vanco taper) just to have as a safety net but I don't intend on taking it unless I become ill.

I have an appt with an ID in December and I don't know if he's going to be happy that I haven't taken the pills, but this is a choice I'm making for myself based on everything I've read.

It is my understanding that you're not supposed to test within 30 days of finishing treatment as you may temporarily still test positive. Additionally, I don't believe you're supposed to test unless you're having the classic signs of watery D 3 times a day.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Okay. This makes me feel a little better. My pcp is pushing me to test but I don’t want to yet as I’m not having the classic 3x3 with fevers and stuff. Actually, the last day and a half I’ve been surprisingly well (knock on wood). Yesterday morning I woke up and took my usual Bentyl, gas x and IBGard to ward off any belly discomfort but I never got any and I didn’t have to take any more medication the rest of the day. I took pepto the night before and I figured maybe that calmed things down a bit. I ate an English muffin for breakfast, a PB&J for lunch and just some roasted chicken and mashed Potato’s for dinner and no BM at all! I literally haven’t had one in almost 36 hours! Like, nothing! Not even any belly pain. I’m hoping if I just eat bland and stuff, maybe it’s going to work itself out. Fingers crossed. I made an appt with the GI but they are booked into December. I’m hoping that things resolve slowly as this was a similar process I had following FMT. It was a long rocky road but I eventually got better. I’ve been thinking about going back on my Lexapro for now. I’ve been off for awhile and I felt so good about it. It sucks, this is a step backward but I needed it to get me through that dark time 3 years ago and I wonder if it would be best right now to keep me calm. Thanks for all the input, it really does help!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:26 pm

If there are no symptoms there is no reason to test.
If you feel Lexapro will help you and it has in the past, it may be a good idea to take it again. It has an anti anxiety features so will help keep you- therefore your gut- calm. There is no shame in using meds under a dr’s care.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”