Scenes from a 1974 Disaster film?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Scenes from a 1974 Disaster film?

Postby BetsyS » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:21 pm

I can't stand the craziness we're in. My week started with protesters and counter protesters clashing blocks from where I work. I live in Salem OR, just south of Portland. This is not who we are, and it has gone on long enough. Tuesday we had our Senior Management Covid 19 meeting, which is basically our Disaster Recovery team. On top of pandemic management, we have to start implementing our contingency plans to handle increasing protests and riots. Wednesday I woke up to a red glow to the east. Not the sunrise, but fires 30 miles away which were fed by highwinds. We had just driven through this pristine wilderness two days prior! Two of my employees had to evacuate their homes in the middle of the night, and at least two towns have burned to the ground so far. My best friend's cabin is in the burn zone, but there's no way to check its status. Our atmosphere in Salem is an ominous dark red filled with smoke and ashes. The air quality is dangerous, which has been hard on my asthma. My niece is flying in to see us Friday, and we have been planning on spending the weekend at our beach place in Lincoln City. Today I got word they had to evacuate our Condominium there because of a fire just to the northeast. Again, it's being fed by winds, so I'm not sure what we'll find in the morning.

The week has been straight out of a 1974 Disaster movie, and I can't stand it health-wise. Things were finally calming down for me after 8 mos of D. The stress this week has hit my colon hard; the D is back. I'm going back to the BRAT diet to calm things down and am crossing fingers it's not a relapse.

Sorry to vent. I am basically an optimistic person. Events this week have put everyone in our community on edge, and it's hard to continue to be positive with so many affected.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Scenes from a 1974 Disaster film?

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:07 am

Betsy - Vent all you want. I am in CA and SF has that orange glow sky too. The fires are terrible in Oregon, Washington and California. 2020 just never seems to end and all the stuff in the news has been stressing me out too and my GI tract is way off. I have lost weight too. We had 121 degrees in one part of the city on Saturday and many people were without power. Hopefully, things will calm down soon.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks Beth. We have power outages as well from the wind; downed lines have started some of the fires. There are so many communities and people impacted all up and down the West Coast. Our thoughts and prayers go out to them.

The news is hard to watch, but I can't seem to turn away. We know the affected towns and businesses well, and it's difficult to see them reduced to ashes. Even my family in the MidWest has been following as we have shared these places with them. Two deaths have been reported so far. Their family is well known in our area; my brother worked for them in High School. Our air quality is still dangerous today and it's snowing ash. I've been working from home, but I must go out in it to go to both offices today;taking my N95 mask and asthma inhaler along. Lincoln City is still standing, so we are hopeful. Relief is ahead, at least weather-wise.

Being ever the optomist, the good in all of this is watching people in the community pooling resources to help each other. Right now anything that unites us points us in the right direction towards seeing our way through this craziness.

Please remember the Red Cross.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:55 pm

I live in Canada but have been following the news on the fires. The photos are so eerie and awful. I can't imagine how stressful and devastating it must be for people right now. 2020 has been so difficult for so many reasons.

Please stay safe and know that my thoughts are with you.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:08 pm

Thank you so much. The two major wildfires in our area are merging; more evacuations. Our Air Quality is hazardous today and getting worse. Things change hourly, and everyone is feeling the impact. I've never seen anything like it!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:38 pm

So sorry for all those affected by the fires. What a terrible situation, Am sure this isn't good on anyone's GI tract - especially those already stressed by c diff.

"This,too, shall pass." Hopefully, quickly.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”