Tinidazole & VSL3

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Tinidazole & VSL3

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:24 am

Jill79 - The original VSL#3 gave me more side effects than the one they have now, I guess because of the dairy, but I'm not really sure. I got very gassy, bloated and had looser stools. But, a lot of probiotics do that to me. I was also diagnosed with SIBO, which is overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine, so I have to watch the amount of probiotics because putting in even good bacteria can aggravate that condition. I still take the VSL#3, but only part of a capsule. I am due to order some again. Different people have different reactions to probiotics and what one person tolerates well is not well-tolerated by someone else. Many on the site like Florastor. It is the worst one for me. I get enough gas to send up a hot air balloon along with cramping and loose stools. I also got a rash. Bio-K does not work well for me, but when my husband takes antibiotics, I give that to him so he doesn't wind up like I did with c diff. He tolerates it well.

You may have to try several different ones before you find one that you do well with. Vitamin D can cause C in some people, depending on how much you take. I take a sublingual formula and I do well with that and it keeps my levels normal. I had parathyroid surgery in 2013, so it is especially important for me to have a normal D level or it can affect my calcium. If you are C, try adding some foods with fiber to your diet. I wish I could eat foods with more fiber, but that is one of the problems I have had since c diff.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:09 am

If you are not taking Florastor, which is a yeast probiotic only, as a daily probiotic my GI has recommended Align which is what I have been taking for many years with no problems. That’s another option to consider.

Jill79
Regular Contributor

Postby Jill79 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:53 pm

NS789 - Thank you so much for the recommendations! I will definitely look into Bio-K. I might give Kefir a try, I only like my tea black with sugar or iced and I detest even the smell of sauerkraut, lol. I may try Garden of Life Women's Probiotics Daily Care, it contains L. fermentum and seems to have a lot of good reviews for both digestive & vaginal health. I agree, switching them up makes me quite anxious but I understand why he suggested it and you're absolutely right, I may just alternate between 2 that I can tolerate well. :)

Beth - I'm surprised that the original VSL formulation gave you more issues since it's lactose free and Visbiome contains milk, but I haven't compared all the ingredients and everyone is different. How do you take part of a capsule and still get the full benefit? I only ask because I assume the encapsulation helps it get further into the GI tract than taking the powder out? Do you empty out half and put it back together or sprinkle it on your food? I remember seeing a lot of posts about Florastor, I'll add that to the list too. I do actually get some extra fiber in sometimes, always love a big bowl of raisin bran or oatmeal, but I might have to look into Lactaid or lactose free milk. I honestly feel like even 4 years later I'm still living in a "new normal" since c diff. I tested negative for SIBO and celiac but I do feel I'm at least slightly lactose intolerant. Toot toot! So since Monday I've only taken the Vitamin D, the cramping has been a lot less but tonight I may skip that and just take the probiotic for the rest of the week because I'm still having C issues. If that's the case I'll look in to the sublingual formula. Thank you for all all the great info! :)

Ril - I actually did take Align, but it was during my run in with c diff so I honestly can't say how well I tolerated it since I felt so poorly and my 2nd GI switched me to VSL3. It's already on my list but I really appreciate the good review! :)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:16 pm

I will add Vit D can cause D in some....it does in me and I am using the spray...which I do love but I have to be careful with it.

The generic VSL#3 is now at Costco, so much cheaper by the way!! I have not had any issues with it

Take Care

NanciT

Return to “Free Form Discussion”