I maybe relapsing after FMT?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

I maybe relapsing after FMT?

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:48 pm

I had my FMT on Tuesday Jul 14th 4 days ago, I think I might be at start of another relapse, it has been a bad day today. I had a very loose and yellow bowel today, with some smell. I am having constant cramping, growling , abdominal pain around the navel, no appetite and I am having a foggy brain today. These are all the symptoms I feel when i am starting to relapse. If it is a relapse, I should see some mucus with bm tomorrow, or next day... I don’t know what I am going to do if I relapse., for the first time I don’t have any back back plan. ..

I was Flagyl for 8 days, on Vanco for 10 days and Dificid taper for around 60 days before the FMT

What do you do if you relapse after FTM? Ask for another FMT? If so, with the same doctor?

As per dr instruction I am on a high fiber diet: I eat boiled food only which is, quinoa, green been, broccoli, checkin breast mash potatoes, banana, and one tablespoon of Citrucel Fiber supplement every day
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Spike
Contributor

Re: I may be relapsing after FMT?

Postby Spike » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:16 pm

I have 0 knowledge in this but want to just say patient is a virtue. I know easier said than done. Trust this is going to work. My husband had to tell me this daily multiple time a day. I don't know anything else but tust the number. Find yourself some thing to escape with. For me it was the deadliest catch, tuna fishing, nake d and afraid. One day at a time. Deep breaths.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:14 pm

Hang on....this all takes time. give you body time. Did you change your diet? If so, that can be irritating along with the entire FMT procedure itself. Recovery can be slow with many ups and downs.
Try and take care of YOU...rest and give yourself the time to get through this.

I am sure other's who have had FMT's will jump in here and share their experience

Take care and hoping for better days

NanciT

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:32 pm

Thanks Nanci and Spike,

I hope I am wrong, and as Georgina mentioned in another post the D might come back as part of the recovery. But it is not the loose bowel that scarring me, the other stuff that come with it such as the abdominal pain, camping, fatigue, brain fog, growling noise etc.. the only thing still gives me lttile hope that, no mucus today, but that normally comes one or two days later.

No I did’t change my diet, I am eating the same stuff just more of it to increase my fiber. I increased the amount of quinoa, green been and broccoli to increase the fiber intake and reduced the amount of mash potatoes and chicken breast.. And also I was taking 3/4 of tablespoon of fiber supplement per day, but now talking a full tablespoon.

Ali
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:46 pm

I'm sorry you're struggling today Ali, I hope you feel better tomorrow. As the others mentioned, this could very well be part of normal recovery after FMT. Try to take it easy and don't stress.

DaveMal
New User

Postby DaveMal » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:26 am

I hope you've been able to get some rest, Ali-Mar. How are you feeling today?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:26 pm

Ali-Mar,
Pls read the first forum for rules of posting.

"Your posts can be as long as you like, and you can post as often as you wish for the first 30 days you are a member. After that period, make your posts concise and limit them to one a day. You can ask multiple questions in the post There is no limit on posts to support others. You can post again in Chat Forum, but be reasonable about the number of posts."

The increase in fiber could account for some of your symptoms. Broccoli is a problem for many. I take Benefiber - 2 tsp bid. It is one of the gentler supplements. Check with your doc.

Hang on. We are all terrified of this bug.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:56 pm

Fiber supplements do not agree with many people. I am one of those. After c diff and particularly after FMT, I had a lot of problems with fiber. If I ate what you described, I would be running to the toilet all day long. You could try cutting back on some of that fiber.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Thanks, Dave, Poppy, and Beth for your replies and kind words

Today is the 7th day since I had the FMT. and still haven't seen any improvement, which is worrisome. So far I had two loose bowel today and it is only 11:00 AM here. After both BM, I felt dizzy and light-headed for bout 10 or 15 mins. No appetite for the last few days, the usual abdominal pain, some cramping. Unfortunately, I am not very optimistic... The soonest follow up appointment the GI that did the FMT has is on Sep 15, that is just so far out... left messages for the GI office waiting for the nurse to call back.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:21 pm

I hope you start to feel better very soon. From what I read, it can take a few weeks to see some improvement. Try to give your gut time to settle down, it has been through a lot.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:06 pm

I had the FMT 10 days ago and had the last Difcid pill 11 days ago. My bowel habits are changed quite a bit since FMT. I have 1 or 2 loose bowels for two days in a row and no bm on the third day. I have constant abdominal pain, cramping, and twitching in the middle around the navel for most of the day. And a lot of tenesmus in the evenings. A lot of bloating and the pressure on the gut. I am still on a bland diet; I eat the following same food everyday:

1 -Mash Potatoes
2- Boiled Quinoa
3 -Boiled Green beans or broccoli
4 -Boiled eggs
5 -Banana
6- Boiled Chicken breast
7- 1 tablespoon of Fiber supplement

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:36 am

I think the colonoscopy is partly responsible for your pain. I remember having a lot of discomfort for weeks after my FMT via colonoscopy. I never did with enemas. C diff irritates the colon already and then doing a bowel prep and colonoscopy does so much more. I am due for a colonoscopy and have been putting it off, primarily because I don't want to go into a hospital setting, which is where I would have it, but also remembering the post procedure side effects.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:41 pm

I woke up around 4:00 AM today due to abdominal pain. Had two loose BM but a lot of abdominal pain for most of the day. And abdominal pressure especially on the sides of the body where the colon is for most of the day.

Is anyone else having constant abdominal pain and discomfort for most of the day? Is it a symptom of PI-IBS?

DaveMal
New User

Postby DaveMal » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:04 pm

I, too, have had more pain and discomfort today. Days have been up and down the last couple weeks and today I was beginning to feel anxious. Just trying to relax and not make things worse. I'll go a little more bland with the diet tomorrow. That ususally helps. I would suggest considering Beth's and Bobbie's suggestion to reduce the fiber a bit if you haven't already tried. Of course you want fiber to feed good bacteria, but you need to strive for a balance so that you don't cause excess irritation by overdoing it. As mentioned, broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables can lead to irritation for many with a sensitive gut, though everyone reacts differently. White rice seems to have a calming effect for me.

Remember we'll tend to be on high alert, dwelling on every sensation, while we recover from this frustrating disease. Try to accept what comes as long as it isn't severe or progressively worse, in which case you can contact your doctor. There will be discomfort as we heal from both infection and treatment. Given the circumstances, I think you are doing well so far. Think positive :)

I hope a more comfortable day comes soon for you, Ali. Take care.

David

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:02 pm

Thanks, Dave, hope the Flagyl worked for you.

I have little less abdominal pain today, but a lot of growling/gurgling noise. I am still having number 5 and 6 bristol bm (soft and loose BM)... I guess we have to just wait and see, it is nearing two weeks, on Tuesday would be two weeks since my FTM. I might just test for peace of mind two weeks after FMT. I realize there is a very high probability that the Antigen will be positive, but I am interested in the EIA Toxing, and hoping it will be negative! keeping my fingers crossed

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”