Bactrim, wish me luck

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
D1dad
Regular Contributor

Bactrim, wish me luck

Postby D1dad » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:01 pm

Well my 15 months of being antibiotic free has came to an end. I got a pretty nasty cut on my foot, in the joint of the big toe June 10th. Salt water soaks and Neosporin didn’t do the job and the infection is spreading. Being on the joint my doc didn’t wanna take any chances and there was nothing to lance so he prescribed me bactrim for 5 days. He fully understood my deal with cdiff last year and went with the lowest possible offender and shortest duration to hopefully nip this thing. Please, someone tell me that they’ve taken bactrim and didn’t relapse. To say I’m concerned is an understatement.

roy
Administrator

Re: Bactrim, wish me luck

Postby roy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:22 pm

Use the search feature to find many posts about bactrim.

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:55 pm

I am no help because that is what gave me c-diff (I am guessing). Good luck I hope it is better for you. My husband has been on it three times and fine but this last go round he got oral thrush. I will be crossing my fingers and toes for you.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:14 pm

Only you know if your body is not dealing with the infection and needs the help of antibiotics.
Most wounds heal on their own, especially if theres minimal swelling and no drainage.
Did your Dr have a swab tested to see if theres an infection and if bactrim would do the job?

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:57 pm

No it had abscessed and my foot was developing cellulitis. My PCP doesn’t give out antibiotics for anything and was pretty insistent that I definitely need them. I took my first one today and am loading up on florastor. My son got in a pretty bad motorcycle wreck and I cut my foot at the crash scene trying to get the bike out of the ditch. I thought my body was staving it off but the last 48 hrs it started swelling and the abscess started. A painful cut went completely south in 48hrs.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:20 am

Cellulitis is serious; odds are that antibiotic is necessary. Hope your son is OK.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:29 am

Thanks alliss! He’s gonna be ok. Of course he wasn’t wearing a helmet so he ended up with a swelling on the brain and needed 48 stitches to the scalp And another 14 on his arms and legs but nothing was broken, he was hospitalized for a few days and released. That’s what the doc said as well. It was pretty much, either take this or possibly lose a toe or worse. I’m not happy but I’m trying to take these antibiotics smarter than I ever took them before. I’m taking a florastor with each one and squeezing in a yogurt in between.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:28 am

Cellulitis is nothing to fool with. My mom had it when she was in a nursing home. Do as your doctor said and take the antibiotics. Bactrim is not as bad as some, but any antibiotic can give you c difficile.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:30 am

Thanks Beth. That’s pretty much what my doc said as well. The infection is in the joint and his words were “that’s how people lose toes or worse” it came down to doxy or bactrim and he was adamant about bactrim due to its effectiveness against MRSA. Knock on wood, but 2 days in and all is OK. The swelling has gone down dramatically and I’ve added florastor each time I take an antibiotic and eating a yogurt in between the 2 doses. If anything I’m suffering a little constipation. My pcp has been the attending at a local nursing home for the last 10 yrs so cdiff isn’t new to him and he’s not an antibiotic dealer by any means. I figured he’d have just lanced it and prescribed something topical but it just wasn’t able to happen.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:33 am

D1dad, I'm glad to hear things are going okay so far and that your infection is clearing up. I hope everything continues to go well.

Highland5
New User

Postby Highland5 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:46 pm

I'm currently taking Bactrim for prostatitis. I've been on it for 16 days and will likely be on it for at least 28 days. So far no issues at all.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:36 pm

That’s good to hear. I’m on day 4 of 5 and the infection is completely gone. I emailed my doc and he said if it was cleared then don’t worry about the last day. I’ve never taken bactrim and knock on wood, no side effects at all. If anything I’m getting worried about constipation. The stuff works amazingly fast. I have been doing epsom salt soaks so maybe that sped up the process.

DaveMal
New User

Postby DaveMal » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:45 pm

Good to hear, D1dad. Good luck!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:09 pm

That's good to hear. I would keep taking the probiotics for a few weeks after you stop the meds.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:55 am

For sure Beth. I’ve taken a probiotic daily ever since I got cdiff in early 2019. I added a florastor each time I took the AB, I have enough to take for a couple weeks and will. My gi really liked Phillips colon health, not sure why but it’s worked well with no side effects the last several months. When I got cdiff the first time it was from augmentin which that stuff always gave me D but never advanced to cdiff until the last day, the last time I took it. My pcp said he had just treated an infant who contracted it from amoxicillin and said that more needs to be done about handing out amoxicillin so freely and that in his opinion it should be considered a high offender. For bacterial sinus infections he simply won’t use augmentin, goes for a zpak first and has had good luck in doing so and no reports of cdiff from his patients.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”