22 Year Old Struggling with C.Diff

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Student4
New User

22 Year Old Struggling with C.Diff

Postby Student4 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:20 am

Hi everyone!

I am new to this support group. I am a 22 year old female in college. I say that with sadness because my senior year has been full of hospitalizations, medications, and pain. I was prescribed antibiotics three months ago for a skin infection which resulted in me getting heavy D and dehydration--C.Diff. To make matters worse, I was misdiagnosed with "Traveler's D" and given more unneeded antibiotics resulting in two hospitalizations with severe C.Diff. I have been on Vancomycin twice now and I just started Dificid after my second recurrence recently. If this fails, I have to do a FMT according to my GI. This has all been a shock because I was a healthy young woman my entire life. Now I am getting used to hospitals and taking medicine every day. Unfortunately, I had to withdraw from my school semester because of C. Diff so me and the bacteria are currently on bad terms lol. I now have anxiety and PTSD from C.Diff which causes just as much emotional pain as physical. A lot of times I want to give up because of this debilitating bacteria, but I know I just have to keep on fighting! I am praying for everyone to get cured and those who have gotten cured to remain healthy. I will update through my journey!

Sincerely,

The Student who wants to return to class

P.S. if anyone has success stories with Dificid please share. Any type of positivity is much needed! I appreciate it

DD454
New User

Re: 22 Year Old Struggling with C.Diff

Postby DD454 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:06 pm

Hi! I am also a 22 year old who had C Diff awhile ago. I went undiagnosed for about 3 weeks. They finally diagnosed me and put me on Flagyl which really screwed me up. I started to have mood changes and burning sensations up and down my back. I went to a GI doctor and they put me on Vancomycin for another 2 weeks. With that, I also ended up OCD and was in therapy for about 2 years. All of these treatments I took with Florastor which is the best thing to take if you have C Diff and need to take antibiotics. I definitely recommend it. My C Diff started with a nasal surgery and being prescribed the antibiotic Clindamycin.

You will get through this! If you need someone to talk to, just DM me!

Student4
New User

Postby Student4 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:14 am

Hey everyone! Sharing an update with y’all. I’m on day 42 cdiff free and I’m wondering when will I stop counting the days? I keep thinking a relapse will come but it’s really hard to stop myself from thinking that without having a goal in mind. I think once I’m 3 months cdiff free (hopefully I get there) I will stop counting.

This came with the toughest of times though. But ever since going completely bland and vegan, my IBS has chilled out a bit. I also noticed that probiotics were really upsetting my stomach, so after a month I stopped taking them. I will continue updating hopefully good news! Stay safe.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:42 am

I was a year in March since diagnosed, finished my meds around April 1. When you hit 3 months you can pretty much say your in the clear. Around 6-8 months I wasn’t worried about a relapse but still was nervous about every trip to the can. A year later I really don’t give it much of a thought. Flush the toilet and walk away. If you can eat normally without issues then by all means do it, it will help you gain back strength and round out your stomach flora. As soon as I was able to get back to a normal diet, things really turned a corner.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:58 am

I am 19 days post-Vanco and constantly worry! Based on the CDC website (following ), most relapses are within 2-8 weeks (https://www.cdc.gov/cdiff/after.html)

Based on member stories I read here and on Facebook, many of the relapses are 3 or 4 weeks after the treatment. This coming Friday will be my 3rd-week post-Vanco, so I worry a lot about this week and next week

I think it is important to take probiotics, I would try other brands and see if they are more tolerable
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:04 am

Student4 wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I am new to this support group. I am a 22 year old female in college. I say
> that with sadness because my senior year has been full of hospitalizations,
> medications, and pain. I was prescribed antibiotics three months ago for a
> skin infection which resulted in me getting heavy D and
> dehydration--C.Diff. To make matters worse, I was misdiagnosed with
> "Traveler's D" and given more unneeded antibiotics resulting in
> two hospitalizations with severe C.Diff. I have been on Vancomycin twice
> now and I just started Dificid after my second recurrence recently. If this
> fails, I have to do a FMT according to my GI. This has all been a shock
> because I was a healthy young woman my entire life. Now I am getting used
> to hospitals and taking medicine every day. Unfortunately, I had to
> withdraw from my school semester because of C. Diff so me and the bacteria
> are currently on bad terms lol. I now have anxiety and PTSD from C.Diff
> which causes just as much emotional pain as physical. A lot of times I want
> to give up because of this debilitating bacteria, but I know I just have to
> keep on fighting! I am praying for everyone to get cured and those who have
> gotten cured to remain healthy. I will update through my journey!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> The Student who wants to return to class
>
> P.S. if anyone has success stories with Dificid please share. Any type of
> positivity is much needed! I appreciate it

To be quite honest, anxiety goes hand in hand with cdiff.
Not only because it's a horrible and scary experience, but because it messes up your gut flora - which is responsible for the good mood.

It will all go back to normal, once the infection is gone and the good bacteria is back. The recovery does take time.

The best advice I can give is, get the probiotics as much as you can naturally, from foods, from interacting with the community, from spending time outdoors and getting in touch with nature and soil. Nature heals. Give it some time. Eventually, everything will be ok.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:28 am

Please check the date of the post before replying.
This thread is almost 2 years old and the poster will probably not see it.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”