How Y'all Feeling About The Coronavirus

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Re: How Y'all Feeling About The Coronavirus

Postby BetsyS » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:48 am

COCVID 20 = Coronacomputervirus

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:10 am

So far I think there are 3 in my county, all related to travel on the same trip- a Nile River cruise- and 20 others being monitored because of travel or contact with people who were positive. I just turned 70 but am healthy with no illnesses (IBS and GERD doesn’t count!) so I am not sure about my risk. I am very worried about my 92 yr old mom who is compromised and have told her my visits to her are going to be very limited so I don’t infect her, and I have cancelled all but her most critical dr appts. I volunteer as an RN in a free medical clinic and just dropped out of that for now out of fear that I will carry something to my mom. Just so many considerations....

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:17 am

We have had over 50 cases or more in the county. My husband volunteered at City Hall, but they are not allowing volunteers now, which is good. Church services are suspended for the most part. Only 250 can go in and have to sit 6 feet apart. Priests urging people not to go. I'm not. Finally found some potatoes today though - so that is good. Shelves are still bare. Husband went all around to find baby wipes for my grandson and finally did at the pharmacy close to a university. I guess not much need for university students to hoard baby wipes! It's really crazy though. Stores are closing early to try and fill the shelves before the next day.

Roy, yes, you're right. I've had some bad luck, but I'm still here. Although we have a lot of cases in the county, we also have millions of people. With not being able to test, I'm sure there are many more who have milder symptoms and just think it is a cold or flu. I have had a sore throat and nasal congestion, achiness off and on for over a week, but no fever, so I doubt it is coronavirus, but who knows. The weather has been cold and rainy and that doesn't help either. I am on 2 weeks break now from work and after that we will teach online, so I just stay at home in front of my computer and connect with the students. All the schools are shut down for the next two weeks. Ours has Spring break anyway. Libraries are closed and they only are letting a certain amount of people into stores because it can't go over 250, but that is good too. Hopefully, it will help. Read that some guy out of Kentucky has almost 18,000 bottle of hand sanitizer that he bought up and wanted to sell at premium prices, but Amazon and ebay yanked his advertising. I guess he doesn't care about all the people who can't even get one bottle - $$$$ over public safety.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:52 am

Our government are not reacting fast enough.
The advice we are getting does not seem to be the same as the rest of the worlds and people are not happy to follow it.
Schools are open but it looks like parents are going to keep their kids home regardless.
theres suggestions that there will be a cut off age where medical attention will not be given.
I preped a month ago so my wife and I are now considering our options.
Looks like lockdown and isolation time.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:41 am

Roy, if you think your government is not reacting fast enough try listening to the statements that came and still come out of the US government. I only trust Dr. Faucci, which is a shame to say. We should be able to have 100% faith in our leaders, who should not be contradicting themselves and each others and the facts!
I can’t believe the UK would consider an age cutoff for treatment.
Stay healthy and wash, wash, wash.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:29 pm

There’s a handful of cases in Ohio and now they’re considering closing our schools the rest of the year. I just watched my dad get sent to hospice because the flu and pneumonia ravaged his lungs to the point theres was nothing they could do to help him with his cancer yet not a peep was said about the flu. I’m off work till who knows when because I’m not able to go to where my company does business which is hospitals and long term care facilities. My daughters supposed to be married in key west in May and we have guests coming from England which probably won’t make it. I personally think this whole things insane and hopefully way overblown.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:38 pm

This is a pandemic with a high death rate. I don’t believe it’s overblown. And I am speaking as a medical professional.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:43 pm

My daughter is an RN at a level 1 trauma center so I’m familiar with preparedness that’s going on. Let’s just hope we’re two weeks ahead of this thing.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:04 pm

Still the fact remains that not long ago none of us had heard of c.diff!
Covid 19 has under 3% mortality C.diff has over 6%
If 10,000 US citizens die this year it will be terrible and covid 19 will will be on everyones mind for years to come.
Meanwhile 29,000 will die of c.diff
Billions of £$¥₩€ will be spent on coronavirus.
If a fraction of that effort went to c.diff research a cure might be found.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Well said Roy! I read an article somewhere which I’m sure doesn’t still stand that cdiffs mortality rate was off the charts. The mortality rate of the flu is around 1-2% which infects millions world wide. Thus far I’m seeing numbers of 2-3% from the outbreak in China. Would I be scared as an older person with health issues right now? Dam straight! The silver lining that I’m seeing in this is that the virus peaks and then seems to go away.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:04 pm

UK c.diff mortality rates were inaccurate because of the rules of reporting.
US is probably the same.
When someone dies the primary cause of death is listed first on a death certificate.
Listed after that are the things that lead up to that death.
So
IF organ failure is listed first and c.diff is listed second it's not counted as a c.diff death, even though c.diff caused the organ failure!
It's one of the injustices we campaigned about in 2008.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:17 pm

Death rates for seasonal flu are way less percentage wise, I believe less than 1%. Coronavirus is 10 times higher and for older folks or immucompromised the charts say 15%. That is for over 80, but with each decade the percentage goes up. For 60+ I read somethinglike 4 or 5. If you live in a big city, like I do, you have way more exposure. I'm sure there are many who have mild symptoms and don't even know they have it. I plan to stay home as much as possible. Canceled all medical appointments except cardiologist. Wish I could cancel dentist, but need to get tooth fixed before it gets much worse.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:05 pm

I heard that Mexico has asked Trump to hurry up and finish that wall!

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:57 am

Toledo has designated one of their outlying hospitals as a corona test site. Luckily my daughter works about 10 miles from there. They have police guarding entrances and all visitors have been banned unless it’s an end of life situation. I actually am going to need TP and doubt I’ll be successful. My son who was a potential MLB draft pick just found out last night that his season has officially been canceled although we knew that was coming. Thus far OhIo has 50 cases.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:15 am

My niece is working is a physician for an urgent care c!inic. Her specialty is difficult pregnancies, but she's been moved to the Coronavirus team. Yesterday she was assigned to testing. We are of course worried about her, but she said she is young, healthy and in better shape than some of the other doctors.

I am thankful for the medical professionals out there who have placed themselves at risk to help others!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”