Tips re Coronavirus

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Bobbie
Administrator

Tips re Coronavirus

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:55 pm

IMPORTANT READ :

James Robb is a Coronavirus expert. Google him. And then heed his advice.
Date: February 26, 2020 at 2:35:50 PM EST
Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.
The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:
1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.
Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.
2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.
3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.
4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.
I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim
James Robb, MD FCAP

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Re: Tips re Coronavirus

Postby D1dad » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:43 am

Interesting article. I stumbled upon this through a search, primarily does, or can zinc increase your risk of cdiff. I’m fully vaccinated and had a breakthrough infection from the delta variant. Luckily my shot has so far contained it to what I would call a really bad cold, bordering on the flu. I started vitamin c, D and zinc and read that zinc can cause diahrrea. I’m 2.5 yrs removed from my cdiff nightmare and wanna make sure my supplement won’t take me down the highway to hell again.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:18 pm

Vitamin C and zinc can cause D. I guess it depends how much you take and each person's tolerance is different. I can't take C anymore after C diff. Zinc never agreed with me, so I stay away from it. It gave me some neurological symptoms and I read it can kill your sense of smell, but that is the spray from I guess. I would check with your doctor.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:12 pm

I have always used zinc lozenges when I have had cold symptoms and have never had any problems. They are very popular. I am not sure if they are actually effective with Covid but I have heard this before. I suggest people try them if they wish and if they have a problem they can stop. Side effects are very individual.

Breakthrough infections are common with this Delta variant. Until everyone is vaccinated this country- and world- will struggle. My 93 yr old vaccinated mom got Covid, seemingly asymptomatic, but she has a brain fog and it is affecting her severely. She got it from exposure from a well meaning but unvaccinated person.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”