What did you give up for lent?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
BetsyS
Regular Contributor

What did you give up for lent?

Postby BetsyS » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:36 am

It's that time of the year. Yesterday was Fat (Shrove) Tuesday. In some cultures, they celebrate pre-Lent with rich foods, alcohol and riotous partying ala Mardi Gras. Not to be outdone, I threw all caution to the wind last night and celebrated in the Anglican tradition of pancakes and applesauce. It really was a celebration for me. My IBS has become so severe lately I've been pretty much living on rice & lentils with turmeric, eggs and bananas. I am pleased to say I survived without incident.

Now today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, and I am faced with the decision of what to give up. I am already forgoing my favorite foods: coffee, chocolate and gummy bears, mochas (coffee with chocolate), everything with sugar, coffee with cream, steak and all meat but chicken, lattes (coffee with steamed milk), vegetables both cooked and raw, dry cappuccinos (coffee with milk froth) and did I mention coffee? I think I've given up enough already.

Lent is supposed to be a time of spiritual reflection, enrichment and growth. C Diff has made me very ego-centric about my health. Not exactly obsessed, but bad enough I will share my troubles with anyone who will listen. So I've decided during Lent I am going try to not make my C Diff, IBS, cancer or recent surgeries a topic of conversation. I am still having a rough time and will need some support, so I am making a few exceptions: my immediate family, my best friends, my Drs. and of course this Discussion Board.

I just hope I can make it the whole 40 days and 40 nights!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: What did you give up for lent?

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:10 am

I'm trying to give up complaining and judging people. After c difficile, I have given up many foods that I used to love (cheesecake for one), so I am not thinking in terms of food. For me, giving up food and treats for lent really doesn't mean much since food doesn't define the person that one is. Giving up bad habits seems more appropriate. Just my opinion.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:05 am

I agree, and wish you luck in your endeavor! I think Lent should be a time of personal growth.

i am overweight, so I usually give up something I really love to eat/drink to work on my self discipline, and pair it with something which will make me a better person. This year I'm already exercising extreme discipline as far as food is concerned. Unfortunately the whole experience has me too focused on me and not others. Hopefully the outcome will be improved health and generosity of spirit.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:53 pm

BetsyS,
Wise words. Unfortunately, most of us are ultimately "me" people and concentrate on our own needs.

Apologies for not answering your PM - answering it now.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”