How Y'all Feeling About The Coronavirus

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Zay
Regular User

How Y'all Feeling About The Coronavirus

Postby Zay » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:00 pm

I am still trying to heal from this, I don't need a new worry. Like I am not panicking, but definitely prepping. There is some scary news out there.

How do y'all feel about this and if you are preparing how are you preparing?

roy
Administrator

Re: How Y'all Feeling About The Coronavirus

Postby roy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:35 pm

Probably a LOT more instances and deaths from c.diff than coronavirus this year!
Half a million cases of c.diff (and it has 4X the fatality rate of coronavirus) but it's still sidelined.
Publicity around Covid-19 will get the attention and the finances to come up with a vaccine quite quickly, I wish they would do the same for c.diff.

Bought some masks "just in case" and they are becoming hard to get in UK.

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:01 am

It is sad that so many of these illnesses are not being taken seriously, especially c diff, but until doctors stop just looking at it as "antibiotic induced diarrhea" and start realizing this is a life altering illness I am afraid it will stay on the sidelines.

We didn't get any masks and the ones we did fine were ridiculously expensive, but we have enough supplies to hide out for a while, but it doesn't really matter, my hubby works in the public so there's a chance IF it spreads he will be exposed to it

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:01 am

Lots more people get the flu and die from it. We lost a cousin to it two years ago and I was hospitalized with flu in 2016 with a white count as low as someone getting chemo. More to worry about with that, especially since flu shots are not at effective some years. The cousin who died had one and it obviously did not help her.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:31 am

Your right Beth, theres so many scares with various "new" flu viruses we should be used to it!
I often wonder if these scares coincide with political decisions that sneak past the public unnoticed because of the dramatic headlines in the media.

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:47 am

Honestly, I think all the new flu scares are less political and more about big pharma money as they demand that everyone gets flu shots, which only work temporary, and only covers 3 strands of flu which they guess every so often which strands they think is going to be a problem.

As much as I would like to believe it is political, there are too many conflicting resources between the news media and data coming out elsewhere.

I do think this could have been more preventable. I know some people don't show symptoms so of course there isn't anything we can do there, but the rest showing mild to severe symptoms should not have been travelling or out in public, covering their mouth when coughing and sneezing, and washing their hands.

People need to wash their hands and stop going out when sick.
Last edited by Zay on Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:44 pm

Zay,

Agree, some political maneuvering but not whole story. Best advice wash your hands.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:43 pm

Zay, this is not a political site so please don’t accuse any news media of targeting the administration or as a medical person I can start saying plenty about the handling of the virus response but am now restraining myself.....

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:41 pm

Oh sorry, I didn't really mean to make it political as I was just referencing the various articles I have been reading from all media outlets, and was talking about the media to respond from Roy's comment. I understand some are more sensitive than others and it is a sensitive subject.

I just mainly wanted to keep the conversation going, didn't mean to offend anyone or cause the post to get tense, but I changed it to make you more comfortable.

We can definitely veer it elsewhere. There are plenty of other aspects to discuss.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:52 pm

Masks are only good to prevent you from spreading the virus if you are ill. The common kind do not prevent the virus from getting through and infecting you.
In the case of “regular” flu and it seems with Covid-19, although less is known, the people most at risk of complications are the elderly (how old?) and especially those with other medical problems.
Having flu shots, and whenever they finally come out with a vaccine for this, likely a year away, while no guarantee of immunity, is still better than not.

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:45 pm

I agree, people need their vaccines and when this one comes out need to get it

I didn't know the masks couldn't prevent you from getting it. I didn't buy any masks and already wash my hands religiously.

I think I read in the news there were a couple companies already animal testing the vaccines and I believe a place in China went straight to human testing. Originally articles said the vaccine wouldn't be ready until 2021, but with people already testing I wonder if it'll come out sooner

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:21 pm

It's becoming hard to buy antibacterial soap, Clorox type wipes and anything remotely "germicidal" in UK.
Hand sanitizer gel and Medical type masks are impossible to find in any shops and DIY shops are limiting the amount of dust masks to 5 per customer (not effective anyway)
Online supermarkets are sold out of some longlife foods.
Not exactly panic buying but people are definatly stocking up on essentials.
Might be wise for c.differs to stock up on wipes/bleach and loo paper!

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:09 pm

I already have a box of 100 masks. My sister bought them online in Nov. when I was in the hospital with C Diff. She mistakenly thought it would protect them when I came home....

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:47 am

Yes, I am already stocked on those hospital wipes, cleaners, and bleach as well as paper towels. People are starting to panic buy here in Texas and shelves are starting to look more and more empty.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:40 am

I live in Oregon where two community spread cases were identified this weekend, plus Kirkland WA is just a couple of hours North. They have had two deaths. I did my weekly grocery shopping yesterday and shelves are bare not just for cleaning and flu supplies, but also food. People are concerned and are stocking up so they won't have to go out. I have to admit I stocked up on canned goods for my mom and bought extra lentils and rice for me. What we don't use will go to the food bank this Summer.

My bank was contacted by a local physician Friday with suggestions on steps we should be taking. A lot of it for now is community perception, but we are meeting this week for emergency contingency planning. It makes sense to be prepared.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”