FMT Tomorrow

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
MeliMel
Regular User

FMT Tomorrow

Postby MeliMel » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:30 pm

Well, tomorrow I will be getting an FMT. I was first diagnosed with CDiff in November. My first treatment was Vanco, followed by 3 courses of Dificid. After my recent relapse in January my Infectious Disease doctor moved things along for me to do an FMT. While waiting I completed another 2 courses of Dificid. I pray and I hope this FMT does the trick and cures me from CDiff. I am open to any advice and/ or feedback from any in the group who have had an FMT before.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: FMT Tomorrow

Postby Bobbie » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:07 pm

MeliMel,
Best of luck tomorrow. Ask your doc about holding FMT as long as possible and what to eat after it is over. Our best wishes and prayers to You!!!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:07 am

Don't freak out if your stools are mushy or if you have D after FMT. It takes a while for the bms to normalize and this varies in time from person to person.

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:48 am

Thank you Bobbie for the prayers and well wishes! The procedure itself was more painful than I anticipated. The doctor mentioned there was difficulty moving the scope around as I have "loppy intestines". I am still very sore in my stomach, but trying to take it easy. The doctor said to hold as long as possible but at least a minimum of 2 hours. I held for 7-8 hours. He mentioned to eat what I could as tolerated. And no probiotics. However probiotic foods such as yogurt is fine. Expecting D to continue for a few days so will try to stay calm about that. Passed what seems to maybe be some M this AM but I'm sure it's inflammation from the procedure. Praying this cures the CDiff. It has been an exhausting couple of months. Just want to have good health.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:09 am

Good luck and I hope it worked for you. Go easy on what you eat for the first few days because your intestines are pretty irritated from the laxative prep and the procedure itself. Then add things back slowly.

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 am

Thank you Beth! I'm doing a bland diet, adding fiber foods when I can little by little. I actually haven't had a bowel movement yet. I did the night of my FMT (Wed), late evening and then in the middle of the night. But didn't go during the day yesterday or so far this morning, although it's still early. Is it normal for things to also slow down?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:27 pm

Irregularity is common, C diff is always a surprise!!

Ask your doc about adding Benefiber later.

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:43 pm

Thanks Bobbie! You never know with recovery right?! Still haven't had a BM. I will call Monday if I still haven't gone by then.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:50 pm

I did not go for 3 or 4 days after the colonoscopy FMT. I figured that since everything was cleaned out with the laxative prep, it needs time to fill up the intestines again. That is a good sign though. Check with your doctor if things don't start moving and see what he/she advises. I would probably try foods with fiber rather than a laxative. You've had enough D with c difficile!

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:59 am

I finally had a BM 4 days after my FMT. BMs were solid and as healthy looking as possible! I excessively passed gas all throughout last night. So far today things are very soft, getting fluffy, and lighter in color. Although I am trying not to freak out I am anxious. Could it be the high fiber diet I've been on? I've been eating Bran cereal (with no milk), cooked vegetables, sweet and regular potatoes, the last few nights spaghetti squash specifically, pistachios. This morning was a sudden shift. I'm exactly 1 week from my FMT. This is my usual relapse timeframe.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:38 pm

melimel,
Probably too much fiber.

Pls post details in TMI.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:22 am

I would cut down on the fiber as well. I did not tolerate it after FMT. Add it back slowly.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi MeliMel,

what are your updates post FMT? Hope you are doing well? Did they use frozen fecal using colonoscopy?
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:37 pm

Hi Ali-Mar! This coming Wednesday will be 8 weeks post FMT and CDiff free. The longest I have gone since first getting CDiff in November 2019. FMT recovery has been much like RX recovery. Nerve wracking. Lol Once I started using the restroom again I would have about 2 BMs a day. And now 1 a day. They vary in appearance but look nothing like CDiff BMS. I planned on doing an update but was going to push it out further. I slowly have brought foods back. Some things I can no longer tolerate, or at least comfortably. Such as dairy dips. Although cheese is fine. Ice cream not so much. Some days I feel like a million bucks and others I feel awful and I'm certain it's coming back. But I relax and realize I'm doing okay. I am having major hemorrhoid flares off and on, which has not been fun. At times my stomach feels like before, normal, then I'll run into a few days of belly aches and all day gas. Lol I just try to take it day by day and hope and pray I continue to stay CDiff free. I hope you also stay on the road to recovery and goos health. PM if you have any other questions. :)

Return to “FMT Discussion”