Newly Diagnosed - 1st Timer

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
MarieTh3
New User

Newly Diagnosed - 1st Timer

Postby MarieTh3 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:49 pm

Hello, I was diagnosed with cdiff on Friday, 12/27 after a hemorrhoidectomy surgery on 12/20. The cdiff took over my life 12/22-ish until I took myself to the ER at 4 am on 12/27. I’ve been on vancomycin for 24+ hours now. Had 1 “healthy” and solid BM over night last night but today I’ve had little episodes of soft (not watery) spurts of stool, little to no blood in the stool. I’ve gone maybe 4 times but no serious stool movement but then again I haven’t eaten much of anything with any consistency. The cdiff stool smell is almost gone. Is this typical with BM positive progress with cdiff treatment? I’m scared my body is rejecting or resistant to the vancomycin. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

jG43
Contributor

Re: Newly Diagnosed - 1st Timer

Postby jG43 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:53 am

My GI told me that the cdiff bacteria produces the toxins that cause the liquid stool. As the Vanco kills off the c-diff the toxin level should subside. As the cdiff dies off you may experience loose stool. I remember that the 2nd and 3rd day on the medicine I experienced urgency with loose movements I usually got relief with in 48 to 72 hours. I experienced some periodic liquid stool for the first couple of days on Vanco but it began to go away by the fourth day of medicine. It sounds like you are doing just fine so far. If you don’t get relief they can increase the dosage. Hang in there. Your movements are likely to be off while the Vanco kills the cdiff and your gut begins to heal. Eating bland foods and drinking plenty of water will help.

MarieTh3
New User

Postby MarieTh3 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:03 am

@jg23 thank you so much for your feedback! Excellent to know it’ll take a few days. Wish the doctors had provided a bit more education about what to expect before releasing me from the hospital. THANK YOU!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:25 am

MarieTH3

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

As you start your treatment, symptoms should slowly improve. It can take some time and once you finish the Vanco, it may also take time for BM's to get back to where they were before. It is a process. The gut can take time to heal.

It's only been a few days so give your self the time to treat and heal

Feel better soon

NanciT

MarieTh3
New User

Postby MarieTh3 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:03 pm

Thank NanciT. Appreciate the response.

I just used the sitz bath and when i sat down, mucus-like bright red blood came out without me pushing or straining with one smaller size blood clot in the shape of a grain of rice (maybe about .5-.75” long). I haven’t had any other movement, except passing gas all night yesterday (finally!). No urge to go either - yesterday was a light day, too without many bowel movements. I can hear some easy movement in my gut. Still light diet of toast, rice and soup. Plenty of fluids. Should I be alarmed with the blood that came out today?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:29 pm

Marie

Check in with your doctor, when it comes to blood we always recommend that. I would stick with a bland diet, it's much easier on the gut

Take Care

NanciT

Return to “Free Form Discussion”