A little nervous here and need some advice about Dificid

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
iamsick
Long Time Contributor

A little nervous here and need some advice about Dificid

Postby iamsick » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:01 pm

I am having a lesion removed from my shin, well doctor called it a granuloma, Pyogenic, tomorrow in the office and stated I will not need any antibiotics before or after but....,, if I do, do I ask for Dificid to take along with it? Also,in you opinion what would be the safest antibiotic be to take? Thank you:)
Teresa_68

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: A little nervous here and need some advice about Dificid

Postby beth22 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:13 am

If you need antibiotics, ask for an ointment. I used Mupirocin (Bactroban) when I had a skin infection after a biopsy. Did not need to take oral antibiotics.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:27 am

I had one of those removed 6 months ago, no antibiotic needed. (cut out 20+tiny stitches)
Research into if it will go away without treatment.
Most will disappear in a year or two if they are left alone.
I wish I had left mine to do it's own thing, now I have 6! all within an inch of the scar!
It was not worth having it removed.

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:57 am

Beth22, I'll ask for that ointment, believe my husband has used it the past.

Roy, ouch, that was quit a few. Mine started over a year ago, has grown and will not completely heal, even weeps after showering. I'm now 64 and the body is not working as well as it did:( Getting old is not for sissies!
Teresa_68

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:15 pm

Well had my procedure yesterday, doctor made a cutout about the size of a quarter and has sent off to identify. No antibiotics, no ointments, just change bandage regularly and clean with water. Happy it's over. Stitches removed in two weeks and should receive lab results by then. Oh, I was loving the medical information they were running on the monitors throughout the waiting area, all about the bad and good of antibiotics, quizzes too, I go them all right:)
Teresa_68

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:11 am

Good you don't need any treatment. Most biopsies and excisions heal without treatment. Mine got infected because the doctor's assistant did not give me wound care instructions, but the ointment took care of it. I just mentioned it in case you needed anything. Most likely you won't.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:24 am

Mine got infected and treatment was to pull out some stitches so the puss could escape!
No antibiotic needed for a localised infection and it healed fine.

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:57 pm

Cool, how long it take to heal?
Teresa_68

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Beth, the MA, (medical assistant) was watching/assisting him, she did not any clean the blood that run down from the procedure. I had to ask and she then just handed me those little alcohol packets. The doctor asked her to give my daughter some gauze and she just handed them to my daughter unwrapped, my daughter then just wrapped them in some tissue. I'm assuming she's new to the field. I changed the bandage yesterday and will again today. You know,they use give you a written procedure for after care with any procedure.
Teresa_68

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:23 pm

90% healed in 3 weeks, pussy spots took about 6 weeks.
Itched like mad and sensitive for about 3 months.
but mine was on my ring finger knuckle so not much chance of keeping it clean or resting it.
Instructions were to not clean it, keep it dry for 14 days,no bathing and waterproof covering in the shower.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:13 pm

Iamsick,
Glad it went well.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:04 am

Mine was just a biopsy and I was told to put some peroxide on it first and then apply the ointment. I had to use the ointment for about a week. After that I did not do anything. I don't know what the first instructions were because they were not given to me, but I have treated skin cancer wound on my husband that was taken off and the instructions were to use peroxide for the first few days to clean and then put either aquafor or antibiotic ointment like neosporin on it for a few days. I think we did the neosporin for a day or two and then just used the aquafor. His wound was several layers deep. It never got infected.

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:50 pm

Thanks for the input, my doctor and the nurse said DO NOT apply anything to the wound and keep it uncovered. This is 180 degrees different than any plan in the past. So will see how this all pans out. Looks good today, drying up. Have the one leg exposed from the knee down, not sexy, well nothing is when your 64, ha!
Teresa_68

Return to “Free Form Discussion”