Recovery & feeling like a bad Mom/wife :(

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Rev1119
Contributor

Recovery & feeling like a bad Mom/wife :(

Postby Rev1119 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:46 am

Hi all -

Fairly new to C. Diff recovery. Was diagnosed in late September, treated on vanco until mid October. I later tested negative for C. Diff via PCR through a colonoscopy in the hospital. Right now I am 5 weeks post vanco and still definitely having my bad days (last week when I made the mistake of eating a huge plate of pasta, and today now that I caught a cold from my son). I've always had IBS-D and had bad stomach days, but now that I am post-C. Diff when I have bad days, they hit me hard. My bad days lately consist of 1-2 funny stools (but not the frequent C. Diff kind), sometimes AM nausea and a gurgly crampy stomach. Also, is this common during recovery?

With this cold/the resulting GI symptoms, I'm not really eating and didn't sleep much last night. Today is my son's birthday party and I can barely move - I know that staying home from the party is what I have to do, and my whole family is also telling me to do so. I've also not been keeping up with things at home; my husband has had to take on a lot of the housework and cooking. I'm feeling barely functional these days - all I can do lately is drop off/pick up my son from school and somehow make it through working part-time at this point (which I have to do because I missed 5 weeks due to C. Diff/side effects from vanco). I'm having extreme feelings of guilt about all this and feel like a bad Mom/wife. Anyone else experienced this? Any support here would be helpful. Oh, and I just want my life to be normal again!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recovery & feeling like a bad Mom/wife :(

Postby NanciT » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:07 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Recovery can be difficult, some good days, some bad days. I did read you had GI issues before CDIFF, was there anything that helped? Post CDIFF IBS can be difficult, I took Levsin during this period of time which really helped the IBS. Have you spoken to your GI about any type of medication to help with symptoms?
Give yourself time to recover, try a "small" meal first before having a large portion to see how it goes. I did this for months. As far as work etc, in my case because I had CDIFF and treatment for a year, in order to keep my position I pushed myself through. I work part time and was able to do this but did find when I got home I was exhausted for a long period time until I could really eat a healthy balanced meal. That was key for me, I stuck with a bland diet and slowly added foods. Other's on the site go right back to a regular diet, it is very individual and you need to see what works for you.

I continued taking VSL#3 although my GI told me I did not need it, it helped. I stopped after a year post CDIFF.

The gut needs to heal, get the extra rest your body is telling you to take right now. I understand wanting to get your life back, give yourself the time you need. Check in with your GI about some medication

Feel better soon

NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:58 pm

Another welcome and glad you have found this site. Also glad you are into recovery.
I too had suffered with IBS-d long before c diff so after a difficult recovery, I continued to struggle with post infectious (PI) IBS.

NanciT gave you great advice about handling diet in recovery. What you are experiencing happens to many of us. I had a lot of nausea, had food intolerances and felt crummy for a long time. Not everyone struggles so it is hard to say how or for how long you will feel that way so give yourself a break. Stools take on a “new normal” so as long as you don’t have a lot of watery d you are fine. As NanciT said, there are a lot of medications that can help. I have used several as I think when you already have IBS you might possibly struggle a bit more. You should ask your dr if you continue to have difficulty.

This site is a great place to get support and suggestions. I wish you the best.
Rita

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Rev1119,

Follow the others' excellent advice. Dump the guilt and concentrate on your getting better. C diff is hard in so many ways including emotionally,

When you are you will easily revert to emphasis as wife/mother.

Keep posting.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:51 am

My wife didn’t get it and I felt like a huge baby over it. Eventually things will improve but it just takes time. Unfortunately time moves fast but not in recovery from cdiff, weeks will turn to months so just hang in there. Eventually it will just be a really bad dream.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Thank you all for your wonderful advice! It's been more than a week since I''ve posted and in addition to following your advice (not eating large portions, taking meds when needed, ditching the Mom/wife guilt and hanging in there through the tough times) I have been following my doctor's advice of eating a low residue diet for the moment and am feeling much, much better physically and emotionally as a result. I'm even looking forward to the smaller plate of plain turkey and mashed potatoes I plan on eating tomorrow :) May you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving - and again, I am most thankful for your advice!!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:35 pm

Glad the site is helpful. It is why we are here. A belated Happy Thanksgiving back at you.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”