Is This Post IBS?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
MeliMel
Regular User

Is This Post IBS?

Postby MeliMel » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:02 pm

Hello Again All. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I finished my first treatment of Vanco. Just wondering if how I am feeling now is Post IBS or should I be concerned? While being treated for CDiff my stools were not that watery but soft formed and/ or mushy. Last week I had a pattern of being constipated for 2 days with relief on the 3rd day. The last two days my stools have been much softer again and break when flushed, little bit of mucus. I am going about 2-3 times in the morning, about an hour apart. I still feel bloated and have stomach pains throughout the day as well as increased nausea. Gas comes and goes. My diet is still bland, chicken, baked potato, green beans, just added gluten free bread and tried eggs for the first time. I was eating white rice but due to the constipation I stopped. Is this what Post IBS is like? I'm aware to look out for and follow the 3 day rule but I as I mentioned before I never had the watery D prior to starting Vanco. So in my case I'm not sure what to look out for again.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Is This Post IBS?

Postby NanciT » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:12 pm

It's always best to check with your GI, we cannot diagnose. It certainly sounds like Post IBS but there are medications that can help and you would need to see your GI. I took Levsin for nearly a year after CDIFF and it helped me alot.

Most think things will return to "normal" after meds are finished, but with CDIFF that is not often the case, It can take time for the gut to heal, sticking to a bland diet is good especially if you are dealing with IBS

It can take time....check in with your GI if it continues, medication may help

Take Care

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:34 am

Be sure to read the label when you buy gluten free bread . Most gluten of those contains hard to digest fibers and lots of sugar. I have found that the sourdough bread is easier to digest.

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:21 pm

I spoke with my new GI about my concerns and she advised she is working on a prior authorization to prescribe me Xifaxan 550mg. Isn't that usually used to treat SIBO? We briefly discussed the possibility of SIBO last week when I saw her but we did not test and from the sound of her message it seems she wants to prescribe without testing. Thoughts? Can this antibiotic cause a relapse in CDiff?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:49 pm

Xifaxan is considered to generally be safe and is sometimes even used as a chaser after c diff. My GI assured me it was safe when he prescribed it. He prescribed it for my IBS as it is now used for that as well as SIBO and if it so happened I had SIBO as well, it would have addressed that too.

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:09 am

I have been waiting for my prior authorization to go through for Xifaxan, my doctor is using a Specialty Pharmacy. I continue to have soft formed stools that break when flushed and since Friday night, an increase of M. There have been times when I only pass M. It has been concerning me. Does anyone get M due to their IBS? Also, I have been having some oral issues and have a dentist appointment tomorrow. I think they may prescribe antibiotics. My gums behind my wisdom teeth are swollen and have bumped up, kinda have a slight cut or wanting to form over the tooth.. It's getting very painful and has been causing some pain to spread a little further down the jaw line. I feel like I can't seem to catch a break. One thing after another while constantly always worrying about CDiff and it's possible return.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:49 pm

Mucous is a sign of intestinal inflammation and I have had it with IBS many times during flares.
If your wisdom teeth need to be extracted and are infected the oral surgeon can likely clean the infection during the extraction. I have had that done with an infected molar. That’s a lot of “ifs” so bottom line is don’t worry yet, although it’s what we all do.

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:09 pm

Ril thanks for the response! I greatly appreciate it. I have been so upset and worried all weekend with M. It started late and once Friday night. Yesterday started off normal but by the early afternoon the M started and continued all day till the evening. It has been non-stop since this morning. I had 4 BMs early this morning with some M but after that it's been non-stop M just by itself. The amount is what concerns me. I'll pass M even after drinking water it seems. I worry because these were the symptoms that lead to my CD testing and positive result. I have also had stomach cramping throughout the day. I'm scared it's returning.

I will share my antibiotics concerns with my dentist tomorrow. I want to avoid antibiotics as much as possible as I'm already worried with how I feel.

Return to “Too Much Information”