Gas Pain

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ChrisD
Regular User

Gas Pain

Postby ChrisD » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:03 am

All-

I have been posting in another forum on my Dificid experience. I am sorry if it is not proper to have multiple forums but wanted to ask folks about the following topic. Aside from urgency, my biggest problem is gas and gas pain. I pass gas all day long and its painful. Most days it is worse than the urgency and wbm. What have others done to combat this. My diet is really not one that should create gas like this. I feel like I can turn the corner if I can get over the gas and pain which i think is making my movements worse.

Thanks

CindyP
New User

Re: Gas Pain

Postby CindyP » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Post infectious IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) can be really tough to deal with.

Some things I've tried:

Simethicone for gas. Doctor recommended. It's called Gas-X.

FODMAP diet. This is about eliminating foods that ferment in your gut, causing gas and pain. There's a great app from Monash University in Australia that will tell you everything you need to know about IBS and the diet. The app tells you which foods are high in FODMAPs and which are low. Very helpful. (BTW - two of the worst culprits are onion and garlic.)
https://www.monashfodmap.com/ibs-centra ... t-the-app/

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:38 am

Personally, I wouldn't recommend that you attempt the FODMAP diet at this time. It's an extremely restrictive diet, which makes it hard to follow. I think you have enough on your plate as is. Gas-X is OTC and can be rather helpful.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:07 pm

What’s interesting is that I am following a low fermentation diet and also eating foods that you would think would not cause the gas and bloating. I’ll try GasX.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:31 am

I have found that the fennel tea is very helpful with gas , for me . Give it a try , have a cup, won't hurt , might help .

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:19 am

I finished the Dificid on Monday. The gas pain has greatly subsided. Problem is I am still having the runs. I know that it can take awhile to heal. My doctor suggested I take Questran, which others have suggested as well. Is it best to take it now or give it a few days/weeks to see if the Dificid did the job?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:02 am

Questran binds up toxins, so it might be good to take it now as it would help to get rid of any residual from c diff.

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:31 pm

My pharmacy had to order so I am going to get it on Monday. I feel so much worse since I finished the Dificid. To make matters worse, my dog has a really bad stomach infection as well. I guess its sympathy. I haven't asked my doctor about what next regarding the cdiff as I know testing now is useless but I was somewhat ok on the Dificd whuch I finished last Sunday and felt ok for the first few days, but since Thursday night things have gone down hill.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:48 am

That can happen when you finish meds, whether Dificid of vanco. It happened to me with vanco. The Questran tends to be constipating, so if you have looser stools, that would help too.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:16 am

Dogs can get c.diff.
Get him tested if he has D for more than a couple of days.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:24 am

I used questran very successfully. I was told it would work within 1-2 weeks but it actually took longer to kick in in my case so have patience if it doesn’t work quickly because it may still work.
Make sure the generic is ordered, cholestyramine. I believe it will automatically be substituted unless your dr specified the brand be dispensed. It is much less expensive.

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:32 pm

How often did you take the Questran. My doc prescribed it as needed.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:17 pm

I don’t remember exactly but I know I took it regularly. There were prescribing directions.
And it was another med that took longer to work for me, not questran...(cholestyramine). I think that worked pretty quickly but it was a long time ago.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:17 am

I would call the pharmacy where you got it and ask what the usual dosing is. I had cholestyramine as well and it said on the box.

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:17 pm

Doctor said its basically trial and error. Start with one packet a day and then increase to 3 or decrease depending on how I am feeling. I was just curious how others have taken it because I have seen where it should be taken at night before bed, some people take it before meals and others with meals.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”