Just a stomach bug or Cdiff back?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Napper
Regular User

Just a stomach bug or Cdiff back?

Postby Napper » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi all.

It's been two years to the day that I got C diff. Went through it all, right down to the transplant.

Fast forward to this week. Hubby went on travel on Sunday. Woke up Monday with body aches, fever, chills and D. He stayed in his hotel and teleworked. By Wed morning, he was feeling so bad, he went to the ER. Did blood work, came back fine, WB elevated slightly. Did a flu test, negative. So they hydrated him, gave him anti nausea meds, and cramping meds and sent him on his way. He's better today. Needs to get on a plane Friday to come home.

Well, imagine my surprise. I woke up Tuesday feeling achy and nauseous. I thought because he was so far away, I managed to avoid getting sick. Then by Wed morning, got the big D. I have no appetite and today, I'm feeling weak and my stomach is tender. Anything I drink goes right through me. I've probably gone 15 x today. If I'm still feeling miserable tomorrow, I'm heading to the ER for hydration.

My question is this. Is it possible for him to have CDiff and be able to fight it on his own because he's healthy? Or is this just a stomach bug?

Second... Is it possible that I started out with the same bug, but since I had Cdiff before, my body can't fight a normal bug and the cdiff took over. The reason I ask is these symptoms are so identical to the last time. Watery D 15 or more times a day. I'm afraid to eat, not that I'm hungry, but I'm thirsty and that just comes right out.

Another thing, I have rheumatoid arthritis, so my immune system is off.

Thanks for any answers.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Just a stomach bug or Cdiff back?

Postby beth22 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:23 am

Hi Napper - Sorry you are feeling ill, but there are stomach bugs going around. It could be that or it could be a different bacteria that you both picked up from food that you ate. After c diff, I find that any stomach bug affects me way more than in the past and takes a lot longer to go away. If it continues, then test, but also test with a stool culture for other pathogens. I had campylobacter once after c diff and the symptoms were identical. It did not need treatment and resolved on its own.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:15 am

It does sound like a GI virus that you and you husband are both sharing . If you are unable to keep down liquids, go to ER before you become dehydrated to get iv fluids. I second what Beth said , get tested if your symptoms don't subside.

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:48 am

Thank you for the responses. I agree that it sounds like a virus, but boy is it bad!! I was up every hour and had nothing in my stomach! I'm exhausted. Just want to sleep. A friend is driving me to the ER this morning so hopefully I'll get some relief.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:47 pm

Might be better to tough it our for a day and see if it resolves.
ER is not the place for tummy bugs unless your very ill very old or very young.

CindyP
New User

Postby CindyP » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:38 am

I got Norovirus a few weeks after my last antibiotic. Thought I was relapsing. Doc did a stool culture and found the noro, but also said I had c diff again, and wanted to treat that with more antibiotics. I decided to wait it out - it took 10 days to get over the noro, and the c diff never reared its ugly head.

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:00 pm

same problem with me right now, had a viral throat infection and then the D suddenly started in an agressive way (sudden unbelievable abdominal cramps while I was driving, I've never experienced such pain in my life, I've almost fainted and felt like something's moving inside my intestines, followed by urgency and D).
I went 3 times to ER for hydration, tested negative on cdiff, done CT scan due to suspected obstruction, everything including bloodwork came back clear, so the drs told me it's probably a virus or a bad case of IBS, so be patient and wait until it's run it's course.
Very unpleasant, a lot of gargling sounds, gas, urgency, D... you name it I've got it for a week already. And probiotics seemed to make it worse!
So what can we do other than hang in there...
I just hope it's a virus and not the new addition to IBS symptoms... because this was the worst thing ever. It makes me anxious to think that painful episode can happen again at any annanounced time... it does't sound like IBS, or does it?
Hang in there

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:31 am

I just read an article that said an "unexpected virus" has hit in the US causing D and vomiting. They did not specify what it was, but said it was widespread. Maybe you got it. My friends in Florida all had what doctors think is norovirus, although they did not test for it. Two year old was hospitalized for a day with it, but all are better. I think there is quite a bit going around. Not much to do with viruses unfortunately.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:59 pm

It’s in ohio right now as well as influenza B. My nephew and brother in law have the flu while the other has hit my house. My son and I both though we were getting a cold and then the stomach side of it acted up with sneezing. My stomach has been a mess for 3 days now and am sneezing 15-20 times a day. I’ve had a cold and a stomach thing but never both at once. I had to get new tires on my sons car today before he heads back to school and I ran a 4.2 40 yard dash to the restroom. You know it’s bad when you go at Walmart lol. I just took some mucinex nighttime and hope after a good nights rest I’ll feel better for Xmas.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”