Advice? & Questions.. Just Diagnosed

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
MrsHurt
Brand New Poster

Advice? & Questions.. Just Diagnosed

Postby MrsHurt » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:30 am

Hello everyone. Yesterday I received a phone call to tell me that I have C-Diff. I have had a lot of medical issues throughout the years so when I started to have diarrhea I just waited for it to go away. My husband points out that that plan made no sense because I have lived with a lifetimes of severe constipation and then suddenly I am having issues holding it. I am a little concerned because I waited over 3 months to say something to my doctor and get tested (I don't even have all my tests back yet - just this one). 3½ months later and I am just now getting treated, I pick up my prescription this afternoon. Could the fact that I have waited so long affect how well my treatment works?

Even though I wish it wasn't c-diff, I am so happy they found something. I have had the worst pain, bloating and discomfort and I feel like it keeps getting worse and worse.

Is there anything I should be sure to look out for? Is that fact that I had severe symptoms for over 3 months going to hinder my treatment? My doctor is acting as though the antibiotics he called in will be enough.

Thank you in advance. Happy there is a place to go to talk to others... I am quite embarrassed.

Sincerely,

Rikki

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Advice? & Questions.. Just Diagnosed

Postby NanciT » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:10 am

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I would start the medication right away and I imagine you will start feeling better in a few days and notice a change. What medication did he give you? Vancomycin?

I am sorry you have suffered through this for 3 months, people often don't know they have this. Be careful with dehydration if you have alot of diarrhea, stick with a bland diet for now and consider taking a probiotic( time it hours out from the antibiotic) most start with florester.

If you have nausea, try "Sea Bands" which you can get at drug stores.

Once the medication is started, you should notice a big difference in a few days

Take Care

NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Advice? & Questions.. Just Diagnose

Postby Bobbie » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:12 pm

MrsHurr,
Another welcome. Follow NancyT's good advice.

Don't beat yourself up about not going to the doc sooner. Concentrate on getting well.

Were u on antibiotics prior to developimg c diff? What antibiotic ate u on now?

I know - c diff is a yucky, embarrassing disease. You are in the same situation as others on this site,

Again, welcome. Keep posting.

MrsHurt
Brand New Poster

Postby MrsHurt » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:42 pm

Thank you so much for the welcome and the responses. I thought I would add: I am 35 years old, female. Mom of 5 plus 3 step kids and 2 furpuppies and an AMAZING husband!! :-) I have had a lot of health issues, in fact, Saturday will be 1 year since I had brain surgery for Chiari mainly because I had a migraine every day for over 3 years.

I thought long and hard about how I could've picked it up. The people at my place of employment almost never wash their hands and then open doors and push elevator buttons. Then I remembered, in May at my son's graduation party my tooth started hurting something awful! I believe in June is when I finally went to the clinic and they gave me a 10 day course of Clindamycin antibiotics. My symptoms came on VERY abruptly - I literally woke up the morning of July 21 and (sorry in advance) I thought I just needed to pass gas but instead diarrhea went all over my bed. :-( Again I apologize for that detail. This was VERY strange because I have had a lifetime of severe constipation. (Literally I went once a month IF I was lucky.) I just figured I had finally caught a stomach bug. It continued on... but right before my period it would seem like things were improving but then it would go back again which is why I waited to call my doctor.

I finally broke down and called my doctor, got tested then treated with 10 days of Vancomycin. On day 10 - 12 I still had symptoms. On day 13 I went back to my doctor and they ordered another test. Then suddenly on day 14 everything seemed normal. On day 17 I submitted my test which later came back negative. I thought I was in the clear.

Another week passes and then BAM! The symptoms started all over again and it seems like they are worse this time, like I just made the infection very angry with me. I notified my doctor and he has ordered a colonoscopy but I still need to schedule it.

Now I have more worry and more questions. Can the symptoms and the infection continue to get worse if left untreated? I am 35 and having incontinence issues. That is simply not fair and so embarrassing.

Thank you for all the help.
Rikki

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:44 am

Hi Rikki - The symptoms you describe can happen with c difficile for sure. You might want to talk to your doctor about taking Dificid if you test positive again. It has helped many when vancomycin did not do the trick.
The symptoms can get worse if left untreated, but they can also get better. It really depends on the individual. Sometimes your body can fight it off without needed to treat, but it depends on the severity of the symptoms as well. I had low grade c diff for some time and did not treat, but when I had full blown infections, I absolutely had to treat it.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”