yellow stool

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Medena
Contributor

yellow stool

Postby Medena » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:33 am

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anybody has the same experience... almost
2 years post cdiff and various negative tests , but I have never really returned to normal.
Episodes of morning loose stools, morning urgency, stools have always remained yellowish, even when formed. Abdominal pain, especially upper left area. Nausea, even rarely feelings of hot flashes and sudden cramps (like when vagus nerve is triggered).
The doctors give me IBS diagnosis. I'm having difficulty accepting that because it happens regardless of what I eat or stress and the usual IBS triggers.
I've done gastroscopy, colonoscopy and even double baloon enteroscopy, MRI on which they thought they see intesusseption, CT which only showed a small scar in that area, and they basically told me they don't know the reason for my troubles.
It all started with CDiff after childbirth.
If anyone has any idea on what I should do next, I'm already fed up with doctors... please reply. Thanks

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: yellow stool

Postby NanciT » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:47 am

I generally recommend seeing a GI and getting some testing done but it sounds like you have been through that. It also sounds like the diagnosis is IBS which is typical post CDIFF. Not everyone gets this, but many do. There are medications that can help.
If you are not happy with the diagnosis, get another GI opinion. If symptoms are persistent, that is the best option. Have all your test results, reports etc with you.

In my case, there is no question CDIFF changed my gut, I have issues on and of with IBS and I recently had a virus that last a month, while the rest of the family was fine after a week. My diet changed and there are times foods bother me that never did before. It can be very frustrating.

I went for a second opinion and got the same answer. I went off my VSL#3 but have now started taking it again.

I wish I had some answers, time seems to work for many.

NanciT

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:19 pm

I don't have any advice, but I think Nanci is right in getting a second opinion. Nanci, Where do you get VSL3? It's not being sold anywhere near me bc of the recall.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:29 pm

I took a look at the generic Costco sells and it's almost the same. It is also half the cost! It's called High Potency Probiotic with the same amount of the VSL3 They keep it at the pharmacy.

NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:18 pm

Thx for the info, NancyC. U can also order from the company that handles it now. Google for info.

Evidently, VSL3 was reformulated;.it appears to be recommended by many GIs. We don't r command any but note any info.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:41 am

I got my last bottle of VSL#3 from the company directly. There was a lawsuit by the original doctor who formulated VSL saying that the VSL that is sold now is different because it is dairy free and he won the lawsuit and sells the original formula of VSL under a different name - Visbiome. I actually do better with the VSL without the dairy so I did not want to try the Visbiome.

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:21 am

Its so hard to believe cdiff infection can cause IBS that lasts 2 years and ongoing, and completely mess up my gut. Before this I've had the guts of steel. I miss my old health. The new me is no fun at all, this illness messes up your life. :( The worst thing is I start to think Ill never get well again. Thnx for VSL recommendation, Ill give it a try.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 am

I think alot of us feel that way, who knows why some get CDIFF, take one round and then go back to normal life. I did see an article recently looking at the various strains and how they can actually change the gut. I clearly had one of those.

It is very frustrating, I go through periods of feeling great which I treasure, but recently my family all came down with a terrible virus. They all did well after a week, I was sick for a month, was tested for CDIFF, and various GI issues and nothing came up. Thankfully it finally went away.
This occurred and I had CDIFF 2014-2015.

Hang in there

NanciT

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:31 pm

I know NanciT... same happened to me in the beginning of September. Virus, all were good after a few days, I was suffering for much longer.
My main issue now is, I feel ok (not great, but ok) for 2,3 months and then suddenly unrelated to diet or anything, I wake up with urgency, loose movement, nausea, extreme abdominal pain, and it lasts for 1-2 weeks and then resolves to be repeated after a month or 2,3 months again. Its pure hell. They saw intesusseption on MRI and scarring of small bowel on CT scan, thats why they took me in for double baloon enteroscopy under general anestesia, on which they found nothing. They suspect intesusseption comes and goes, but are unable to catch where ao they could do a surgery. It might be cdiff related and it might be childbirth related, as I got cdiff 3 weeks postpartum, I'm now unable to pinpoint the cause.
I wish they find out more about this horrible disease. I also wish I've never taken the antibiotics that started my hell, or at least that my doctor warned me beforehand of the hell that might happen if I took it, I wouldn't have taken the risk.
Thanks for reading, you're a sweetheart.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:48 pm

Medina,

Color does not mean much. Do a search on "color of stools." Could be what u ate. If still concerned, call doc. Know you are tired of them. Me, too.

Best wishes.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:12 pm

At this point you just have to trust that it is IBS. I am in the same boat for 7 years. An attack doesn’t always need a trigger. I am just coming out of an almost 4 week intestinal virus that most people recover from much faster, same as NanciT.
There are meds that can be used, both short term and longer term. You should ask your dr, especially a GI, about possibly prescribing something.

Rita

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:50 am

Yea true, I should just settle with the IBS diagnosis and try to live normally with the new situation.. thanks all for your time and replies, appreciate it!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”