CDIFF relapse or IBS Flare

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
lunasdad
Regular User

CDIFF relapse or IBS Flare

Postby lunasdad » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:44 am

Was feeling really good for a few weeks after my first relapse but this week has been a roller coaster. On Sunday Inwas feeling great but was woken up early Monday morning with stomach pain and a urgent BM. Went again Agee hours later and took Imodium. For the rest of this week I have been having small formed stools with urgency typically after eating. This morning I ran to the bathroom and had another bout of loose stools. At this point I am not sure if I should go back on meds or if this is just par the course with IBS. I know the 3 day rule but in my case the IBS makes it difficult to know wether it’s the cdiff or IBS. Haven’t called the doctor but he will probably test again and if it’s positive he will suggest a Vanco taper which I am nervous about. Appreciate any thoughts from those of you with similar issues.

CindyP
New User

Re: CDIFF relapse or IBS Flare

Postby CindyP » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:17 am

My GI doc said she would only retest after 10 days of D. I guess the thinking is that food-borne illness etc will resolve by the 10 days, but c diff won't.

I just recently caught Norovirus - which generally takes 3-4 days to resolve. In my case, I think since my gut is so ravaged, it took me over 10 days to get better.

My stool test showed both Norovirus and C Diff. I was prescribed a vancomycin taper, which I decided to wait to take (against the advice of the doc.) I'm really glad I waited, because I'm back to normal.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Try to avoid Imodium “just in case”. Try using pepto.
It sounds like IBS which typically strikes in the morning and after eating. C diff will generally cause watery d and you would not revert to formed stool, but keep a watch.
I had the same issue...I panicked because of IBS and treated, and a couple of days later realized but my GI wanted me to continue the vanco. He did not believe in testing and treated based on symptoms and that was my report.

Recovery can be frustrating and scary. I would keep a watch on things and call the dr if it gets worse. The 3 days rule is your friend for now.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:43 am

It does sound more like IBS . Pepto is a good idea . A binding agent is also useful , something like Questran , doesn't stop your transit , absorbs some of the toxins and helps bulk up your stool.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”