Cipro prescription

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
hopenow
Regular User

Cipro prescription

Postby hopenow » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi All,

I had C diff around a year ago, and am now back to normal.

I have been having some awful groin/lower abdomen pain and have a CT scan scheduled. I have been prescribed Cipro in case it is an infection in the kidney/uti or similar due to there being leukocytes in a urine test.

Do I take it? I told my doc about my history with C diff he said there is nothing he can do about that..

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cipro prescription

Postby georgina » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:28 am

I would not touch Cipro unless my life would depend on it. With a history of Cdiff , Cipro will most likely put you at risk for another relapse. I would check the list of antibiotics under CDI section and present it to the doctor and demand for a least offending antibiotic.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:08 am

If antibiotic is being prescribed simply "in case of" infection, it well may be unnecessary. I'd ask about waiting until there's a definite diagnosis as to what is (or isn't) going on; if there's no major risk from waiting, I'd hold off taking the antibiotic if it were me. As for asking for least-offending antibiotic (in an instance where antibiotic actually is called for -- and I'm not convinced this is such an instance): it must be the least-offending antibiotic that would be effective against the specific type of problem it's being used for. If such a balance isn't struck, the antibiotic would be useless.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:49 pm

I would ask for a urine culture to see which bacteria, if any, is present and a sensitivity would tell you which antibiotic would work on that bacteria. Cipro is what gave me c difficile and it is very broad spectrum. I would want to know if I had a bacterial infection and if so, what bacteria it was so that I don't have to experiment with an antibiotic that may or may not work on that particular strain.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:06 pm

Even taking OTC painkillers can result in leukocytes in a urine dip test!
Your Dr should follow up with a urine culture to see if theres an infection that needs treating.
I would not trust a Dr that prescribes antibiotics that are far stronger than needed.
Or probably not needed!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”