Muscle pain

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Fish1
Regular User

Re: Muscle pain

Postby Fish1 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:06 pm

Seven days ago I experienced a small amount of diarrhea that worried me. No muscus or blood just a little diarrhea. Then later on I had bad cramps in my abdomen and eventually had a significant BM passing a large amount of soft stool. I immediately felt relief from the cramping. The next day I passed another stool Bristol six but a very small amount again. This has happened a couple of times over the last few days. When I have gone it’s been Bristol six and a very small amount. I haven’t passed a significant amount of stool for six days. I went to see my GI because I thought perhaps this was another relapse. I was also having terrible leg cramps and fatigue. The GI did not think the leg cramps were anything to do with C diff. He also explained that in constipation sometimes a small amount of stool will make its way around a hard stool and have the consistency of diarrhea. My GI said that even if I wasn’t eating, if the c diff were back I would be having a good amount of watery diarrhea, which I am not. They ran a CBC on me and everything came back normal with no signs of infection. I ate some avacado and some whole grain bread today to try to up My fiber intake but still nothing. I have a pain in my upper abdomen and am belching and feel bloated. I really don’t have much appetite. I feel like I must have a solid stool that isn’t moving. They wanted me to do a stool test but I haven’t passed anything so that’s not happening. I reaaly thinkmit must be IBS. I was a work in appointment and felt rushed and nervous so I forgot to ask about a stool softener if I remained consripated. It’s the weekend and I don’t know what to do. I’ve seen where a lot of people have taken miralax but I don’t know if I should.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:23 am

Sometimes when I am C and I strain on the toilet, my sciatica acts up too. I agree with Roy about not taking a laxative. Try drinking some juice or eating foods with more fiber.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:44 pm

I ate some whole grain bread and two avocados and finally went a little today. It was not diarrhea but more like soft stool. I’m hoping I can get this under control by adding in natural stimulants like you have suggested, and I don’t develop anymore diarrhea. So hoping this is just IBS and no c diff relaspe. I’m holding off on the stool sample. I’m only a little over two weeks out from vanco so I wouldn’t get an accurate result anyway. I appreciate the listening ear. As many have said I don’t know what I’d do without this support group.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:56 pm

Again, agree with Beth. Up the fluids, especially fruit juices- pear nectar and the like are good. And as Roy said, no laxatives! You don’t want to cause d and really confound things! Use diet to help move things. Your GI dr is guiding you. It really might be IBS so don’t panic and wait it out naturally.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:54 am

During my bout with C-Diff I had problems with weakness, swelling and pain in both legs, ankles and feet. I feel that my leg problems might have been caused by taking Metronidazole ( Flagyl ), but can't be sure.

I was feeling great before experiencing the horrible C-diff. After taking a round of vancomycin I would feel great again, but then after a few days, I would get very sickly. I didn't wait for the normal signs of a C-diff re-occurrence. I wanted to act as soon as possible to prevent any damage from an ongoing infection, so I requested dificid, which they provided to me as long as I submitted a sample for C-diff testing. The test came back negative and they told me not to take the dificid. I took the dificid anyway, because I was sure that I was infected, and if not C-diff, I was infected by something!? The 10 days of dificid, Sept 12, 2017, cured me, and, at 75, I have gone back to feeling great ever since.

Best of luck and I wish you the best to feel much better! Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:09 am

You should not take medication for an infection you do not have! That can cause more complications than it can fix. It is bad practice and bad advice to follow even if it seemed to work for someone.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:06 am

I agree with Ril. I wish I hadn’t started the Vanco Taper as soon as I did because it may not have had a true relaspe but PI IBS. I don’t think we gave it enough time. I was seeing my PC physican at the time, who is a great doctor but not a GI, and I was scared so I took it. This time I’m seeing a GI, and they haven’t prescribed anything. As it is I’m Experiencing constipation and not diarrhea now anyway. My GI did tell me to take Miralax for the constipation but I haven’t done it yet as several on here advise against it. As I said in an earlier post, I have gone some but not much over the last few days. Still wondering if I should take it as the natural route isn’t giving me very good results.

Fish1
Regular User

Re: Muscle pain update

Postby Fish1 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:39 pm

I’m starting to get a little concerned. I never did the Miralax because I was afraid to. So I have been going to the bathroom but only small amounts at a time mostly soft stool or small amounts of diarrhea. Nothing that I could even do a sample
On. Now though I have stopped producing soft stool, and only have very small amounts of diarrhea and today there has been some pink muscus with it. I am having stomach cramps. I’m still concerned about c diff but I’m so confused. Wouldn’t I be having much more diarrhea than what I am. Could I still be constipated and this be a result of that? I hate this stuff it’s driving me crazy and has totally taken over my life. Any feedback is appreciated.

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:58 pm

You may be dealing with inflammation left over from your battle with c-diff. Even though you are probably past the c-diff the toxins cause inflammation with can cause some bleeding. This was the case for me. It will take time for the inflammation to heal. In recovery I often had mucus with some blood from hemorrhoids. When I relapsed I knew it because I simply could not stay out of the bathroom. It takes time for your body to heal. Try to eat bland and drink plenty of water. Benefiber really helped me when I had constipation but I started off with a tiny amount and slowly worked my way up. Easier said than done but try to keep your anxiety in check. Anxiety alone can effect the gut. It sounds like you have a mild case. You will get better. Hang in there.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:53 pm

Update: My leg cramps have disappeared and I’m convinced it was my siactica from straining when constipated. Also I finally started having a BM. Not much for a long while but then today I went twice. Formed and normal Looking. I did have to take the Miralax to get me going. I started taking half the dose a few days ago and that’s when I started getting results. It’s looking more and more like what I experienced was PI IBS that presented with a minor amount of diarrhea then major constipation. This is such a roller coaster ride. I’m so glad I didn’t run to get meds again. That’s what I did when I first relapsed which makes me think that possibly it wasn’t a relapse at all because we never tested. Anyway if I get diarrhea again I’m going to wait and just do my probiotics as I did this time. I’m still having bloating and little knife like cramps in my abdomen but I guess that’s what IBS feels like. I really appreciate having this forum because I know everyone here understands the emotional
Strain and worry this stuff has on a person. Thanks for your support. I know you will be there if I need you again.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:29 am

Glad you are feeling better. When my mom had c diff many years ago, she presented with PI-IBS that was mostly C, but she was bedridden, so I assumed it was because she did move about. She also had a lot of gas, etc. She took Miralax almost every day too and she never had a relapse after her first few bouts with c diff. I think she relapsed once or twice, but then never again despite taking antibiotics. She took a probiotic every day for years.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:00 am

Beth 22 thanks for sharing your mother’s experience with me. I stopped taking my Florastor and eating yogurt because I was afraid it was contributing to my constipation. I still drink about 6 Oz keifer everyday. I am worried about cutting out the Florastor though. I don’t want to give any remaining spores a chance to repopulate, but was trying to get this constipation under control. Also I have been battling severe dry mouth, to the point it wakes me up at least five times a night for a drink of water. My tongue is literally stuck to the roof of my mouth. Could this be the constipation causing it or perhaps too many probiotics? Thoughts please. Thank you

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:53 am

If I remember right, Florastor gave me dry mouth too, but unlike you, it also gave me looser stools and even a rash. Some medications can cause dry mouth and some auto-immune conditions. Make sure you are drinking enough. If it continues, I would tell your doctor.

CindyP
New User

Postby CindyP » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:40 am

Something you might try for C is 4 oz of warm prune juice. I think using food rather than meds is the way to go (pun intended...).

Return to “Free Form Discussion”