Probiotics

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
momo123
Regular User

Probiotics

Postby momo123 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:15 pm

Hi y’all ,

Iv post it on here before but I just wanted to ask a question about probiotics. Has anyone ever taken VSL #3 and s boulardii together? I have heard such good things about this. I am
Already taken vsl 2 times a day. How should i take these and how much ?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Probiotics

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 am

Yes, I have heard of people doing that. VSL#3 and SB are two entirely different types of probiotics. One is a yeast and the other bacterial strains. If you tolerate both, go for it. I do not tolerate the SB at all. It makes symptoms worse and even gave me a rash, but many people have had positive results with it.

momo123
Regular User

Postby momo123 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:13 am

Great thank you , I’m new to all this probiotic stuff so thank you for the info

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:38 am

I took those two probiotics together for quite a few months. I'd been taking VSL3 for several years. A doctor suggested adding the Florastor for several weeks prior to and several weeks following a hip-replacement surgery that I was to have, because Florastor has shown some effectiveness in preventing C. difficile in hospitalized patients (and the hospital is an area of risk for contracting C. diff). I continued with the Florastor for much longer -- perhaps up to a year -- until my GI dr said there was no reason to continue.

Evidence that probiotics make any positive difference is still theoretical; clinical studies to confirm this are lacking. Recently there have been articles that raise the possibility of negative effects from probiotics. The jury is still very much out.

I recently discontinued VSL3 because I thought I had started to notice some effects I didn't like. Around the time I did that, I read, on this site, that VSL's formulation had been changed, so perhaps what I was taking for several years was no longer the same and was producing unwanted effects.

In case it's not obvious from the above, I'm fairly skeptical about the benefits of probiotics. It's human nature to want to feel like you can "do something" to prevent a bad outcome or bring about a good one. I think the probiotic industry plays on that impulse.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:25 pm

I don’t think they can hurt but I’ve learned certain ones make me feel like I’m relapsing. My GI said to take one fore a few months after but had no issue if I took it longer. I have been eating pickles like a mad man and I feel they help more than a pill.

momo123
Regular User

Postby momo123 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:50 pm

Just like regular pickles ?? I did make some homemade pickles last weekend haven’t opened them yet

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:06 am

It's just silliness to think that eating pickles is going to be therapeutic in some way.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:47 pm

Fermented pickles are full of probiotics. How is that silly?

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Yes momo as long as you didn’t use vinegar. We make around 30 jars a year and let them ferment and unlike years past I won’t be giving any away.

loctus
Brand New Poster

Postby loctus » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:11 am

Has anyone heard something of shilajit? my yoga instructor says once right shilajit dosages (https://purblack.com/shilajit-fulvic-acid/ ) are dissolved in water or milk it acquires probiotic characteristics
Last edited by loctus on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:49 am

I had to look it up!
I would doubt if it had probiotic properties.
Raw it's highly contaminated and processed its had any bacteria, mold, viruses etc removed so that results in no "live bio" content.
If you have c.diff your yoga teacher is NOT a good source for advice.
We used to say these things "might help cant hurt" but more recently it's been proven that unnatural probiotics compete with good gut flora as well as the bad.
Ask you Drs advice before spending $$$ on unproven and untested medication.

Return to “Treatments”