Muscle pain

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Fish1
Regular User

Muscle pain

Postby Fish1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:44 pm

I finished my vanco pulse/taper two weeks ago for my relaspe and have been doing great.i added back foods and have really felt more “normal” than ever. A couple days ago I baked some
Lemon sugar cookies and ate more than I should along with shrimp scampi for dinner. I was careful not to eat the sauce but ate the shrimp and pasta, which I had eaten the week before with no problem. Anyway that night I started having some pains And then had a small amount of diarrhea, not watery. I figured it was IBS. The next morning I had more of the same. I had been constipated prior to this episode for about three days. Later that day I had terrible stomach cramps and diarrhea, again no mucus and not watery. I also felt extremely nauseous all day. That night the severe leg cramps started.i have not had any more diarrhea, just passed some mushy stools so I’m
Still thinking this is IBS, maybe resultant from the sugar in the cookies or the fat in the scampi. The leg cramps have continued, they are awful. I immediately went back to a bland diet, and actually haven’t had much of an appetite since this started. My stomach still aches a little but not as bad when it first started. I know the 3 day WD rule and that isn’t happening. I guess I want to know if leg cramps and lower back pain would be consistent with IBS or could I be starting a relaspe again. I so hope not. I’ve continued with the probiotics and upped my keifer again. This is going on five months for me and I’m just exhausted from being sick and so disappointed because I was feeling reaaly good two days ago. Has anyone had similar experience with PI IBS and severe muscle cramps? I’m out of town and so can’t get in touch with my doctor. Thank you

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Muscle pain

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:05 am

I remember getting muscle cramps when I was still on vanco. I know you can get leg cramps if you get dehydrated. Were you drinking enough? I would definitely check with your doctor. That is not a common symptom that I have heard of for either IBS or C diff.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:47 am

Beth I’m out of town and won’t be back for a few days but plan on calling doctor as soon as I get home. I’m afraid to take Advil but I wonder if I could take a Tylenol tablet. The pain is so bad I can’t sleep. I’ve tried hot bath and it subsided for about an hour then comes right back. Maybe it’s My sciatica acting up but It didn’t start until the issues with my other symptoms so I thought it must be related. Do you think a Tylenol would hurt? I’ve avoided taking any pain meds since the c diff and have endured some terrific headaches but these leg cramps are doing me
In.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:33 am

Not sure why you're reluctant to take a pain med. Neither Advil nor Tylenol will trigger C. diff, if that's your concern.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:25 am

I’m worried about my gut reacting to it. I’ve been having sharp pains in my upper abdomen and a lot of gas. I wasn’t sure if it would make it worse. I feel constipated too and have toyed with the idea of using a suppository for relief. I thought maybe because of constipation my siactia was acting up.i guess I’m afraid of doing something to make me more
Miserable than I already am.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:25 am

It's unlikely that Advil or Tylenol would make the pain worse; worst-case scenario, they just wouldn't be effective. Constipation can certainly cause abdominal pain and gas. You could try an OTC remedy such as Miralex, which is relatively gentle. Severe abdominal pain can be a symptom of myriad things and should be assessed by a medical practitioner. If the pain continues or worsens, you may want to give your doctor's office a call, since you're currently out of town, and describe your symptoms.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:30 pm

We’re going home tomorrow morning and I have an appointment with my GI tomorrow afternoon. I told her what’s going on and she wants to test my potassium levels and electrolytes as a possible cause of leg pains. She said since the diarrhea was short lived and followed closely by constipation it’s doubtful a relaspe but she wants to check me out and try to determine what’s going on. Agreed possible IBS.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:07 am

After cdiff I really didn’t have any intolerances until I took Advil. It literally makes my stomach feel like I drank bleach. No issues before or during. While nsaids won’t cause a relapse there’s studies that it messes with flora so on the rare occasions I need it Tylenol works fine for me.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks I see my GI today and I’m gonna ask her about Tylenol. Unfortunately I started having diarrhea this morning. I’m trying not to freak out and I’m going to see what she suggests. Hoping because it followed conatipation it’s just IBS. This stuff just keeps on giving and giving doesn’t it.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:38 pm

C diff can upset the GI tract for a long time. Glad u are seeing your doc. Ask him/her about using a heating pad for the pain / no side effects.

Welcome to the site. Read the first forum. Keep posting. Eventually, you will be fine.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:04 pm

I have been seeing a NP at my gastro office, but today I saw the regular GI as well. He said exactly the same thing to me today about the GI track and that it could take a year or more for it to return to normal and even then it might not be as it was before. He told me the fact that I had a bout of constipation followed by diarrhea was not indicative of a c diff relaspe. I told him I had barely been eating since it started and he said that even if I wasn’t eating at all I would be having profuse watery diarrhea if it was a c diff relaspe. Does this sound right to you guys? They did a blood work up on me which includes WBC and he said when that comes in it would help tell the tale as well. He also wants me to do a stool test. It’s been two weeks since I finished my Vanco Taper/pulse. I’m afraid of a false positive but I’m gonna do it. Next he told me I could take Tylenol for leg cramps, although he doesn’t think the muscle cramps really are related to c diff but he did say it could happen rarely. I guess I’m somewhat comforted by the visit as I still have hope that this is not another relapse. I’m really afraid to eat tonight because I just know I’m gonna have diarrhea. I feel so dishearted by this. I was doing so well just last week. My stool was so pretty....a nice brown color and solid; Now it’s Bristol 6 and yellow. I just can’t believe how fast you can go downhill. This stuff really takes a toll on you emotionally. If indeed I end up with a relaspe, they want to do difficid this time. Are the side effects bad? I had to come off Flagyl within four days because I was in misery from it. I didn’t have any problems with vanco, but since I’ve done the taper I guess the next step would be difficid. Thanks for listening and any feedback is so appreciated

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:34 pm

I think you're getting ahead of yourself in terms of questions about drugs to treat C. diff, since your symptoms don't sound indicative of a relapse. The stool test is indeed likely to be a false-positive, coming as it will be soon after your having had C. diff, so I'm doubtful as to why your dr has ordered it. If it comes back positive, that's not a sound basis for treating against C. diff; treatment should be based on symptoms, not a test result.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:51 am

When you had it the first time did you have other symptoms outside of diahrrea? When I had it I had a pounding heart, fever, the shakes and my butt, not hemeroids, butt bones felt like someone beat them with a hammer. I relapsed or I guess you could say, didn’t take a long enough course of meds, and knew it right away due to the symptoms I mentioned.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:52 am

D1Dad yes I am having pain in my butt but it shoots down the backs of my legs and into hips as well. I’m thinking sicatica, possibly aggravated by sitting more because I’ve been fatigued.
I haven’t had anymore diarrhea since yesterday morning and actually feel constipated again. Just got my lab results and WBC and everything else is within normal range, no signs of infection. Perhaps it’s my immune system trying to fight the few demonic little spores left over from the vanco. I didn’t do stool sample as I haven’t produced any stool to test. If I haven’t produced a stool in 24 hours I may do a suppository. I’m thinking that might be better than An oral laxative because it won’t get into my gut And possibly upset the good baterica I have achieved. It’s scary but I guess it’s just IBS. Thanks for the feedback. The people on this forum are such a comfort and the available knowledge here is unmatched..

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:11 am

Its always better to let your gut sort itself out and not take laxatives or use suppositories!
Definatly no reason to use either just because you have not had a bm for 24/48 hours!
That's not constipation it's normal!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”