Symptom and IBS free, one-year post c.diff

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Believe
Regular User

Symptom and IBS free, one-year post c.diff

Postby Believe » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:10 pm

I had c.diff one year ago, in late winter to spring 2018, following extended visits to comfort a loved one at a nursing home; but I later realized I had not been as careful as I should have been. I had the disease for 7 weeks before I got tested (it was relatively mild, so I finally just got to thinking, What the hell is going on with me? and got a stool test. Surprise!). Two rounds of antibios (Flagyl, followed by Vanco) later, I struggled with IBS for most of the past year in my recovery. I was despondent, felt house-bound and like my career days were ending. For the record, I'm an "older" 50+ mom of a tween.

But my energy and positivity and good health have been restored! I'm excited to report immense progress, and I wish to inspire hope. I have felt restored to completely normal for the past 4 months, once again eating anything I like, just like the old days.

In my case, feeling well and free is due to taking a powder supplement that I mix 1 tablespoon in with a full glass of water, and toss back first thing in the morning. [Please, an important note: I had long felt my c.diff was gone when I began this powder supplement. I did not believe myself to still carry any active infection. I was quite sure I only had post-infectious IBS, because my episodes of D were very brief and sporadic, only occurring once every 2-3 weeks, responding to Pepto Bismol, and always due to having eaten something fibrous, raw or spicy.]

The supplement I take is "GI-Revive" by Designs for Health, a top pharmaceutical grade company. It was recommended by a ND I consulted with who had treated cases of c.diff. I started using this powder supplement in early April 2019 (one year post-c.diff). It helped me get my life back -- within days! I used it each morning for 3-4 months. At this point, I'm going to cut back to taking it 3x week, and see how I hold up. If I start feeling crampy or touchy again, I'll start take it more frequently again. My functional medicine internist told me I can take it indefinitely, and that it's safe. It's slightly gritty, but tastes rather delicious, like peach.

Long ago in recover, he prescribed me Klaire Labs' "There-Biotic Complete" as well as Klaire Labs' "Saccharomyces Boulardii" which need to be kept in the fridge; at this point, I take one capsule of each, most days, for maintenance. In fact, I consume them with my glass of GI-Revive.

I send love and all my heart to those suffering, and pray for you to keep the faith and keep searching. You will heal. It definitely takes time.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Symptom and IBS free, one-year post c.diff

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:29 pm

Thank you for posting and I am glad you are doing well. Wishing you continued good health!

momo123
Regular User

Postby momo123 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 am

Thank you for sharing your story i thought i was the only person that didn’t have D daily mine would go once or twice maybe 3 times back to back then would go away for 3-5 weeks.

momo123
Regular User

Postby momo123 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:26 pm

How were your stools after antibiotics... or many BM did you have ?

Believe
Regular User

Postby Believe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:04 pm

Hi Momo123! Please forgive my tardy reply! Been a long week.

I kept a journal during recovery, and just revisited it. I had 2 rounds of antibios, and finally started to firm up during the Vanco treatment. But then a few days after completing Vanco, I had a loose BM. I freaked out. But I had read here about the “3-day rule”, so I tried hard to have faith and patience, take some Pepto, and simplify my eating. I ate very small amounts of only mild foods like banana, avocado, gluten free crackers, gluten free noodles, soft pulled chicken, scrambled egg, and well-cooked veg soup.

And slowly, I improved. But I noticed if I started doing well for a while, I’d think I was healed, and would grow daring and try to eat spicy or gritty, raw or fibrous food again ... and I’d slip right back down the rabbit hole. I’d go right back to square one with cramping and an episode of D. I was very nervous for a very, very long time.

When you describe your few D episodes as being spaced about every few weeks in between normal spells, are you referring to your recovery experience? If so, sounds like my own experience!

Cheers :-)

momo123
Regular User

Postby momo123 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:23 am

Well that was actually during my cdiff before i knew i had it . I am now 9 days off dificid and they are formed and a little soft . While i was on the meds they were solid. But during my whole cdiff experience they were spread out my d that is.

momo123
Regular User

Postby momo123 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:25 am

Knock on wood i have not had a D episode since 4 weeks ago before i took a stool sample to see if i had replapsed. And before that was almost 2 1/2 months

Return to “Success Stories”