Prednisone sterooid

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Amila
Regular User

Prednisone sterooid

Postby Amila » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:05 pm

Hello all,

I have been prescribed a week long course of Prednisone, orally. I am more than three years free of C Diff i got from Clyndamicin. Is a week of 60 mg daily of Prednisone safe when it comes to C DIff? I was prescribed it for a sudden hearing loss in one ear, and Prednisone apparently has been proven to restore it partly, if not all ( auditory nerve inflammation).

I read there were studies in 2013/14 that pointed to steroids actually help prevent C DIff.

Every opinion and piece of advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Amila

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Prednisone sterooid

Postby AllisS » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:25 pm

Prednisone will not trigger C. diff. That said, steroids are extremely potent drugs that should be taken for the shortest possible duration. If there's a medical reason to take them and you have confidence in the doctor and the recommended treatment, you should probably take them under the doctor's guidance.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Amila
Regular User

Postby Amila » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:34 pm

AllisS, Thank you so much.

That is very encouraging, and I went through the NIH data base, and although not lightly taken medicine, prednisone and other steroids are in no way connected with C DIff.

I am additionally in lot of distress because I was also given referral for MRI of the brain, although the doctor (ENT) said that he does not believe it is an auditory nerve tumor, however, even it is, they are benign. My MRI is on Sunday, and - need I say - I am more scared of C Diff than anything else.

As I mentioned earlier, there are clinical studies that proved that Prednisone actually prevents C Diff . But, we all, who experienced C DIff, will, I guess, eternally remain afraid of it as of death itself.

If anybody else knows anything about Prednisone, or used it without C DIff problems, I would highly appreciate their input. Again, Allis, thank you very much.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:22 am

My Gi told me that prednisone lowers the immune system and he preferred that I did not take it. I never looked it up, but the only time I tried prednisone many years before c diff, I got terrible D and had to stop it. I did not take it again. Hearing is important. I assume you have to take it right away for it to be effective, but if not, ask if you can wait until after the MRI to see if it is something else that the prednisone would not help. Or you could start it and if it turns out to be something different, you can always discontinue if the doctor advises you to do so.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:52 pm

I have taken steroid packs several times since having c diff and have never had a problem.

Rita

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”