Over 3 months.

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
D1dad
Regular Contributor

Over 3 months.

Postby D1dad » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:22 pm

Well I’ve been hesitant as all get out to post this because, well I don’t wanna curse myself. July 24th will be 4 months and although there’s been a few bad days (self inflicted) all is well. Diet, BM the whole anchilada. 17 days total of flagyl and then a month afterwards of feeling like pure hell but I learned a lot about myself and my body, more than I wanted to, but this is cdiff. The first few months was constant fear as I travel a lot for work and with the help of this forum and lots of studying the online to boost gut health, I feel as good as ever with no dietary restrictions. Beer, spicy food, I’m lucky in that regard. Hopefully what I did will help someone else.

1st thing was benefiber, the smallest dose twice a day.
Lay off the probiotics! I was taking three separate ones a day, when I cut it down to one pro50 I really saw improvement. To much of a good thing is just that. The bloat and gurgling went away almost instantly.
Workout if you can and drink protein powder if you can tolerate it. There’s tons of amino acids that are great for gut health and help me gain back the weight I lost. I drink muscletech advanced whey FYI.
Take a multivitamin because you probably need it. Also Claritin. Not sure why my GI recommended it but between the suggestion of benefiber (which I no longer take) and Claritin things went uphill quickly.
Red meat, once again if you can eat it.

Last but not least is believe you will get better and get out and feel the sun on your face. Like most I was terrorized by this, especially for a guy who never had an abnormal BM and had a cast iron gut. When I started hitting the gym and gaining back strength I truly started feeling better. And please please please, lay off the mass amounts of probiotics. I was as guilty as anyone. Once I did that my gut started healing or at the very least stopped sounding like the hull of a sinking ship that looked 3 months pregnant.
I pray that each person who has had the misfortune of finding this site will beat this and at the very least a surefire cure will be found!
PS. Pepto was my friend quite a few times when things weren’t going so well.

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Re: Over 3 months.

Postby iamsick » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:39 pm

Sounds like you are well on you way and getting your life back on track. Wishing you wellness and happiness and thanks for posting your success story!
Teresa_68

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Re: Over 3 months.

Postby D1dad » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:20 am

Thank you very much. I forgot to list another supplement that was recommend by the doc...collagen powder. I don’t know if it was a major contributor, but it helps repair the stomach lining and was cheap. If nothing else I had more energy and beautiful hair and nails lol. Finding a good GI who was a , think outside of the box type was a huge help. I haven’t and probably won’t do any follow ups but the advice given on supplementation and repairing the biome of the gut was huge. Doc recommended taking a probiotic for a few months but doesn’t believe they’re some magic pill given the trillions of bacteria they are up against. Either way I’ll continue taking 1 pro50 a day as a lucky charm.

Return to “Success Stories”