Relapse? New infection?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Michelle7198
Contributor

Relapse? New infection?

Postby Michelle7198 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:35 am

I've been caring for my daughter who tested positive for non toxin producing cdiff. I've been in and out of hospitals for months with all the kids. yesterday morning my son had surgery. My stomach was bloated and i felt icky I chalked it up to maybe getting up early and not eating only having my coffee. I got home later that evening and felt horrible I threw up hoping that would do the trick. It didn't. I've been having diarrhea since then. I was able to fall asleep till 2am and it started again. Back to back profuse watery d. No smell. I haven't had a stomach bug in forever and cdiff was 4yrs ago. I don't have insurance so I'll have to go to the er. I don't necessarily feel horribly sick. Just stomach gurgling and the diarrhea.

roy
Administrator

Re: Relapse? New infection?

Postby roy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:41 am

If it started with vomiting it's almost 100% certain its NOT c.diff!
Going to ER could result in you being given meds for something that's going to resolve itself in a day or two without treatment.
If everyone with D went to ER (emphasis on E for Emergency) the system would stop working.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:33 am

Very true. I'm jumping the gun. Being the primary care giver to my 4 kids. I usually freak out first ask questions later. I'm going to treat this as possible stomach bug and go from there. Thank you!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:43 am

Even c.diff is "just" a common stomach bug in the majority of people.
It resolves and is never diagnosed.
If you test at the first sign of D it can easily result in over treating.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:51 am

Yea I thought about that especially since the dr that treated me once was eager to treat again. When I tested positive for antigen and not toxins.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:33 am

If you were in and out of hospitals, you probably did pick up a GI bug. I agree with Roy. Give it a couple of days. Of course if things get a lot worse, then go to ER. Make sure to keep hydrated. You could try taking some Florastor if it agrees with you. It is advertised for traveler's D.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:37 pm

It finally subsided! I took some florastor and culturelle. My stomach was still a little noisy today but getting better. Thank you all for your help. I have no idea what I'd do without people who understand

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”