Questran vs. Enteragam

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
okaylo
Regular Contributor

Questran vs. Enteragam

Postby okaylo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:52 am

I have taken Questran off and on for years for IBS-D. I began taking it again recently but it seems to be flaring my bladder since I have Interstitial Cystitis and Questran has orange flavoring. I asked my GI doc about this and he said he didn’t think it would bother me... I know some people have had luck with Enteragam... Is the powder flavorless or does it have a specific flavoring as well?

I have heard that Questran can be made at a compounding pharmacy in a flavorless version but my GI doc said he’d never heard of that.

Anyone with IC or bladder problems and experience with either med would be so helpful.

Thanks.

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Re: Questran vs. Enteragam

Postby Lid49 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:25 pm

Enteragam has no flavor.

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:44 pm

Wonderful. Thanks Lid49.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Enteragam is much more expensive than questran. Just so you are aware.

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:34 pm

Thanks Ril. Hopefully it's not too steep. I've heard there's a mail option that may be cheaper. Still waiting on my doc's office to approve the med.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:24 pm

My GI was able to get it through a specialty pharmacy for me that shipped it to my house for $45/month with my insurance but I have heard of others who have had to pay many times that. Perhapsyours has that same connection.
Best of luck.

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks for the info Ril. That's very helpful. :)

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:12 pm

https://enteragam.com/assets/lib/patientguide.pdf
This might help you decide if it's right for you.

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:12 pm

Thanks Roy! Sounds like it may just help me a lot! Greatly appreciated.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Enteragam has no added flavor, but to me it tastes vaguely gamy or farm/barn - not a particularly pleasant flavor, but at least it is not intense/strong.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:01 pm

I used Enteragam successfully until going on Viberzi. The biggest drawback besides price is the nuisance of having to mix it up but you are already used to mixing questran.

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Thanks Research Grandma. I agree about the taste. It's not horrible though. I can manage.

Ril, glad to hear you had success with Enteragam. This is my second day of taking it. How long before you noticed a change or results? I feel as if it may be helping to calm my gut activity but I still have pain, cramping, and urge to go upon waking and then some pain and cramping throughout the day... My urologist has also prescribed Nortriptyline for my IC. I know this can help IBS too as I've been on it before. I've read that Enteragam does not interact with any other drugs and is safe to take any time of day with or without meals... I've been taking half a packet AM and the other half PM. Trying to figure out when I should take the Nortriptyline as I really need to get my bladder pain and urgency under control... Don't want to overwhelm my system. Maybe the Nortriptyline will be enough on its own without the Enteragam. I feel like a human guinea pig at this point...

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:52 pm

Enteragram is a long term thing, it can be many weeks before it has any effect.
If your improving on day 2 it's almost certainly not due to enteragram!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:42 am

I was told the Enteragam should work by (I think) week 2, but what I remember most that for me it took much longer. My GI encouraged me to stick with it anyway and it did finally kick in.
1/2 packet was not enough. I had to increase it gradually to either 1 packet or more, 2 times per day. It takes time and patience to find what is right for you.

Were you advised to take the nortripyline at bedtime? Some people get drowsy from it and are advised to take it that way but check with your dr. The Enteragam doesn’t matter but yes, it is trial and error until you hit the right “mix”.

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:49 pm

Roy, thanks for the heads up.

Ril, the urologist prescribed the Nortriptyline 10 mg 3x a day. He said he hadn't prescribed the med in over 25 years and had to look up dosing and how to prescribe. I mentioned I am very sensitive to meds and couldn't take that much right off the bat. He told me to start low and I told him I would take it at night as I am often very drowsy from antidepressants. He agreed for me to take it at night. However, when my GI prescribed Nortriptyline a few years back he prescribed it at 20mg 1x per day for the gut and I took it during the day without knowing any of the effects and was very drowsy and out of it by afternoon...

Currently it "activates" me upon taking it and I'm wired for a good 3-5 hours before I am able to go to sleep. I have read that many people have had a similar response to this drug and that it keeps them up and then they're drowsy come morning time. I started the first night taking it at 8. Not early enough. Then 7. Not early enough. Then 6 last night and still not early enough. Tonight I am going to take it at 4 or 5. I've only been on it 3 days so not ready to give up yet as I know it takes about 2 weeks for any med to become a therapeutic dose and to notice any improvements or effects. So much trial and error with all these meds... I am tired!

Return to “Treatments”