Dificid - hoping this one works!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
hht7899
New User

Dificid - hoping this one works!

Postby hht7899 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi all -

Posting in hopes that someone has been in a similar situation and has come out healthy and beat this thing in the end! I'll try to make this as short as possible...

I am a 33 year old, previously healthy female. I contracted c diff after the birth of my beautiful baby boy back in April. I was diagnosed in May and put on Flagyl for two weeks. Symptoms returned two weeks later, so I was then put on Vanco for 10 days. Things seemed to be going well for 6 weeks! Unfortunately, mild symptoms returned... when I say mild, they were so mild I wrote them off as post-infectious IBS. I was only having one or two bad days a week, and then things would return to normal.

I went in for an appointment with my GI that had been scheduled two months previously. He decided to have me do a stool sample and test for a few things, c diff included, just for piece of mind. At this point I had been off of vanco for over two months. We both figured that everything would come back negative. Low and behold, I tested great on all counts, good white blood count, low inflammation markers, but still tested positive for c diff. To say I was devastated is an understatement.

I have read about false positives, and mentioned this to my GI, but he recommended that I treat regardless because I have a 5 month old and a 3 year old at home. So here we go again! This time I am on 10 days of Dificid.

I have read lots of good things about dificid, so I am staying hopeful. Has anyone beat this thing with dificid after having prior relapses? I would LOVE to hear some success stories! I am so ready to be well for my family, and back in a better place mentally - this disease really takes a toll on you not only physically but emotionally as well!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Dificid - hoping this one works!

Postby Ril » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Welcome to this site. Please read the first section on rules for posting .

I answered this in the “Questions about C Diff” section.
I know you are anxious but please don’t post the same question in multiple places. It makes it difficult for us to give you advice and for others to follow the thread and for you to get answers.

You can refer back there and follow up as necessary. I hope you find this site supportive and helpful. Sorry you are going through this.
My best,
Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:54 pm

Usually experts don't recommend treatment unless classic symptoms are present but if you already started the dificid course you don't have a choice , you have to finish it. At least your doctor made a wise choice of meds , he gave you Dificid (not Vanco or another Flagyl course) witch is only made to target Clostridia species, it won't touch the good flora in your gut ,the good flora will still have a chance to multiply and reseed the gaps that Cdiff can occupy during the course .

hht7899
New User

Postby hht7899 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Sorry about that - I didn't realize it posted in two places. Still trying to figure out how to work this forum haha!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”