Adopting a kitten

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
roy
Administrator

Re: Adopting a kitten

Postby roy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Here a vet would be struck off if they declawed a cat.
Doing so is punishable with a fine or jail.
Many US states have banned declawing.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:00 am

After speaking with the vet, my husband will not declaw and wants to clip her nails twice a month.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Good luck with that!
Hope you have plenty of band aids!
If it turns out to be an independantly minded cat you will be clipping one paw while the other 3 and its mouth are ripping shreads out of your arms.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:57 am

If your husband finds it difficult to clip the nails -- will depend on cat's personality and his technique (I, myself, wouldn't want to do it) -- check your area for groomers who will come to the house. That's what I used to do to have two successive cats' claws clipped. They didn't like it, but groomers know how to hold and handle cats. Twice a month is excessive IMO. Once a month should be sufficient. My current cat still has her back claws, which I have trimmed only once every few months. I take her to her vet's and have a vet tech do it there; the only challenge is getting her into her carrier. However, many cats will accept being placed in a carrier if they get used to it while they're still young.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

StephanM
New User

Postby StephanM » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:45 pm

My girlfriend loves cats and she did her research and rescued a Russian Blue senior cat.
They have fun personalities and are calmer, but definitely Petfinder is a great website to start looking.

I agree with CorgiGal, people don't declaw your cat. Its amputation not "declawing", cats walk on their tippie-toes and leads to arthritis, AND they cant use the bathroom properly and then your cat will not use the litter box and will does their #1 and#2 outside it, which should be avoided for obvious reasons. If you want to keep them off the counters for hygienic reasons look for ssscat on amazon. Its a compressed air can with a motion sensor to train cats to stay off counters:
https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-PDT00-13 ... B000RIA95G

Cats are awesome and I think its so rewarding when they want to cuddle with you because you realize that they love you unconditionally.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:58 am

StephanM, several of your assertions about declawing are just your own opinion and aren't borne out by my own experience with a series of cats, over decades, who were front-declawed. In any case, this is a C. diff forum; probably best to try and avoid other topics that are so controversial.

>
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:35 am

This is the "freeform" section.
Anything goes.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:59 am

Thank you so much Roy, AllisS, Corgigal and StephanM for your feedback. For now, husband is still planning to do nail clippings.
We will get her on Friday and I definitely have Neosporin and lots of Bandaids on hand just in case. It does make me sad that I even was concerned about bringing home a kitten after I have been free of the illness for 2 yrs. However, I shouldn't be so hard on myself. I have to accept that I now will probably always have a more heightened anxiety about future antibiotic use or things that could cause future antibiotic use. It is a slight risk but I guess anything in life is a risk to some extent. That being said, I got some good information from this post, will be proactive (like not clipping nails myself) and I am not as concerned as I was initially was. I am actually looking forward to the new pet. Thank you all!

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:49 pm

I am going to jump in here about the declawing.
I adopted a declawed cat- deemed a ""special needs" cat for this reason. He is very loving and it doesn't affect his walking HOWEVER since he can not "fluff" nails etc he does get agitated from time to time and will SPRAY in the house. It is very difficult to break this habit.. vet says its very common with declawed cats.

If I could suggest anything please do not declaw! there are so many options now even little caps to cover the nails.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:19 am

It would be terrific if there were actual options to declawing for those of us who stand the greatest risk in the event of being clawed. I explored them all exhaustively, myself. Read many online-forum discussions of the gel nail caps, which, according to many, do not stay on but rather fall off constantly. There are thousands of cats that end up in "kill" shelters -- they will be put down if they aren't adopted. Yet, loving homes are available among both people who would and would not declaw. It makes no sense for shelters and pet "advocates" to cling to the dogma about declawing being cruel and inhumane. Why would numerous veterinarians say that they see nothing wrong with declawing if the practice is really so cruel? Caveats: declawing should be done when the cat is still young, the back claws should ideally be left intact, and the cat should never be allowed outside (which isn't safe in an urban environment, in any case).

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:05 am

I agree, AllisS! My personal opinion is that if these animals are given warm and loving homes for a lifetime and it prevents them from being returned to a shelter (or worse) than it can be a positive in some situations. As of now, we are not going to declaw when we get her but that is mostly because of my husband not me.

Amila
Regular User

Postby Amila » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:42 pm

https://www.facebook.com/SeekerMedia/vi ... 1NjA4OTE2/
Declawing is extremely cruel , and debilitating and painful for a cat.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:37 am

That's only your opinion, Amila. Don't know how you can you be so certain, unless you are a cat yourself.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:40 am

Meeeow! (灬°ω°灬)

Amila
Regular User

Postby Amila » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:52 pm

@ AllisS:

Respectfully, that is NOT my opinion. That a medically proven fact, and practice banned in many, many countries (England, Germany, Slovenia, New Zealand, Austria, Switzerland.. the actual list is much longer). It does not take a brain surgeon to realize that pulling the nails off of human being would be extremely cruel, inhumane, and extremely painful and debilitating. I found you remark about me being a cat to know that, honestly, I found borderline rude.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”