LANE

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
justme
Long Time Contributor

LANE

Postby justme » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:25 am

"Lane" - what an innocuous name for a hurricane. This will be our 3rd hurricane. Ewa in 1982 didn't do a lot of damage but it was our first. No. 2 was Iniki. It sailed over Oahu, but hit Kauai and devastated the island. It tore the roof off my parents home and they had to move in with us until their home could be repaired (not fun). We are as prepared as we can be for this one, but it is nerve wracking waiting to see how bad we'll be hit. Right now it is headed for the Big Island of Hawaii. We are on Oahu, but it is a Category 5 (that's bad). We are hoping that when it gets to the cooler water around the islands, it will dissipate somewhat. Wish us luck.
Aloha,
Anne

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: LANE

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:30 am

I've been thinking about you guys a lot. Let's hope it doesn't cause a lot of damage. Let us know how things go.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:52 am

Oh Anne! I was just watching on the news! Sending you my best, hoping this passes quickly and all is safe!!

NanciT

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:34 am

Praying that you are spared from this hurricane! The storms are getting stronger and stronger. Stay safe!

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:06 pm

Thank you everyone. Today, it seems to be dissipating somewhat coming into the cooler waters around the islands. However, we know from experience that these storms are very hard to predict. My husband and I have spent the morning getting everything ready and putting together a "go bag" in case we have to leave for a shelter. However, the "Powers That Be" have been telling us to "shelter in place" because there won't be enough room in the shelters. Right now, Lane is tearing up the Big Island of Hawaii - lots of flooding, etc. I think we will be fine. We are on the Mauka (mountain) side of Oahu so ocean surges won't affect us, but we know we will have a power outage (we get them from time to time even without a storm). This will be our third hurricane, so we'll be as prepared as possible (as long as we don't lose our roof). It is VERY nerve wracking waiting for a possible disaster to occur. Of course, our cat could care less (he spent all morning napping).
Aloha,
Anne

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:26 pm

I'm sending you lots of good wishes and hoping that everything goes well for you and yours. Hang in there!

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Stay safe!!

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:02 am

My husband just showed me what my new toilet will be when the electricity and water goes - a red bucket (his is blue). He's going to put the toilet seat on the top. With IBS, this will be an adventure (kind of like having your very own outhouse only in the house). The winds have just started here. It has been downgraded to a Category 3 (it's still a hurricane, but the winds will be weaker). I've had bad IBS all day (I think it's a case of nerves). Fortunately, we have a generator, so we'll have some electricity for the fridge, etc. I'm trying to stay positive and trying to think of it as an adventure (it isn't working). Keep sending those positive vibes.
Aloha to all,
Anne

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:04 am

So sorry Anne , if i were in your shoes i would be siting on the toilet , shaking of fear all day long. Sending positive mojo your way!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Stay safe Anne and take some Imodium!!!

Be well, good luck and maybe a little wine?
Rita

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:55 pm

Update noon 8/24: It looks like I was premature in my eagerness to be done with storm. The news keeps changing. Right now it is a Cat. 2 storm (105 mph winds at the eye wall) and is 160 miles south of our house. It is moving at 5 miles per hour northward toward Oahu. It is expected to make a turn to the west between 5-11 pm tonight. So I guess we are not out of the woods yet. We are watching the news and the devastation to the Big Island of Hawaii is bad (most of it is from the rain rather than the wind) with lots of flooding. I'm still optimistic that it will turn before it hits our island, but this particular storm is hard to predict. I feel so badly for the poor folks on the Big Island. This year has been terrible for them. First it was the volcanic eruption that destroyed a lot of homes and now a hurricane.
Aloha,
Anne

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:00 am

Hang in there, Anne. Let us know how you do in the storm if you have internet and electricity. Hopefully, it will not cause much damage.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:42 am

After wrecking havoc on The Big Island and Maui, the eye broke apart and it made a turn left away from the islands. It is now considered to be a Tropical Storm. Oahu (where I'm at) and Kauai just got a lot of rain, but nothing destructive. It's a relief for us, but Maui and Hawaii are in for a long recovery and lots of property damage. Kauai and Oahu kept their electricity and the damage was minimal. Fortunately, each island has it's own electrical generating system which is a good thing when something like this happens. Thanks for all the support.
Aloha,
Anne

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:12 pm

Glad you are safe and that there was no damage to your house.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:13 am

Sounds like good news. Am sure everyone on site has been thinkin( about -and praying for you.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”