IBS Treatment

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
justme
Long Time Contributor

IBS Treatment

Postby justme » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:11 pm

As some of you on this site know, I experienced C. Diff 5 years ago. Now I have IBS which was successfully being treated by my doctor with Bentyl and a low dose of Xanax. My doctor left the clinic and my new doctor (who is less experienced) wants me to only take the Bentyl which dosen't work as well. What is the current treatment for IBS? I have about 3-4 bouts of IBS/day? I'd appreciate your input.
Aloha to all,
Anne

Kuro
Contributor

Re: IBS Treatment

Postby Kuro » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:25 pm

It sounds to me like you already have a working treatment for IBS, and the new doctor's inexperience is costing you that stability. This is just my opinion, but I'd press them for a reason on why this has to change when the Bentyl alone doesn't work but the previous doctor's method gives you greater functionality and quality of life. I don't think they should've subtracted from a winning formula, but again, just my view. Before all else, do no harm, new doctor!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:19 am

It's different for individuals. Some take meds like amytryptiline and it works well for them. Others opt to treat with an antibiotic like Xifaxan. Others take EnteraGam for IBS-D and it helps. I agree with Kuro. Some people take Xanax indefinitely for anxiety. Tell the doctor you have regressed on his plan and if he is not willing to change you back, maybe it's time to look for another doctor.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:44 am

First of all , you doctor should consider that you have been on Xanax for a long time and the withdrawal from it will mess up you gut even more.

Toni1973
Brand New Poster

Postby Toni1973 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi, i am a first time user. I was diagnosed with c diff in April of 2018. My life has been a nightmare since. However, in response to the IBS question. My GP put me on Viberzi because he assumed it was IBS. That med worked great except when I received my results 5 days later, I had been taking what I thought was a wonder drug. Then it turned into the nightmare. If it is IBS, Viberzi is the ONLY med that has ever helped my D.

Toni1973
Brand New Poster

Postby Toni1973 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:10 pm

Also, rather than Bentyl, I am on hycosamine and
It helps me much better.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Update on my IBS issue - my new doctor called my Gastro doc and asked him what he recommended for IBS. I'm surprised she called, but glad she did. I am back on my former treatment with a low dose of Xanax and the Bentyl. I even cut up the Xanax and take a very small amount with the Bentyl when an attack occurs and even that little bit eases the cramping. All of my siblings had drug problems due to chaotic family issues so I am very leary of any medication that can lead to a dependency, but the IBS is awful (fortunately I don't have "D" or "C" with it) so I take the Xanax. Toni - thank you for the suggestion. I will check out the hycosamine. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments. Aloha to all,
Anne

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:03 pm

Glad you are back on the treatment which helps you, Anne!

I have a dependency on a few medications due to my disability and my anxiety. Don't like it, of course, but you have to weigh the benefits against the cost. Sometimes, quality of life is worth the dependency.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 am

Kuro , i totally agree with you . I also have benzo dependency but i know i would be in ruin&misery without them so i just don't care anymore. If i can enjoy my life addicted to Xanax that is what i'll do!

Toni1973
Brand New Poster

Postby Toni1973 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:23 pm

I am glad your Dr. Called & got you back on the meds! I also take benzo. I took them before the C Diff diagnosis, I have always had stomach problems, pains, and fear of eating because of the unknown result afterwards. The hospitalist is who put me on the hycosamine when I said I needed Bentyl. She said let’s try this & it worked better for me. I can also put it under my tongue & it dissolves fairly quickly. I don’t know if that is recommended but it works faster for me. This entire experience has knocked me down. The viberzi would be if you had D. I told my the dr I had C Diff when I went & he said “oh, it’s highly unlikely but I’ll test you”. Gee thanks! I ended up in the hospital with a potassium level of 1.6 & in so much pain I thought I was dying and apparently I was close. Needless to say, if I wasn’t on benzodiazepines I would be slap crazy by now. My pharmacist quit questioning the dr after all this & people are more understanding of my issues. I’ve decided to join some groups because I wondered if my fears, anxiety, & worries were a normal reaction. I feel for all who have endured anything that is related. I hope you start to feel better soon !

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”