Zpack + Vanco for strep

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cake918
Regular User

Zpack + Vanco for strep

Postby cake918 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:40 pm

I was diagnosed with strep and my GP put we on 5 day zpack and GI added 10/day vanco 250 x 4 to prevent relapse. I’m 6 months out cdiff and was finally feeling better, any success stories out there!! I’m a nervous wreak here!

Kuro
Contributor

Re: Zpack + Vanco for strep

Postby Kuro » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:32 pm

Anybody in your shoes would feel nervous, so don't feel badly about that! No matter how much we recover, antibiotics are always a concern for us.

I do know that a lot of people on the site have taken Z-Pak even without Vanco and haven't relapsed. Some posters have taken it multiple times. If I'm not mistaken, it's a low offender for CDI. I can't comment on the Vanco use to help prevent relapse (not personally well informed about it), though again, I know many members have done that for everything from antibiotic use to surgery and came through OK.

Did you have your doctor take a swab and culture to make sure that it's strep? If not, you could do that.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:24 pm

I took a zpak and did not relapse.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Several people on here took z pack without relapse. I suggest you take Florastor 2x/day if your GI has not already suggested you add that.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Hello Cake and welcome to the site. I am glad you are cured from your c diff infection but sorry you again need to take antibiotics. We all do our best to avoid taking them. If you feel you absolutely had to take them, as I suggested, I always take Florastor 2xper day.
Please read the first thread on rules for posting for new members. And best of luck with your continued recovery.

Rita

cake918
Regular User

Postby cake918 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:25 pm

I was swabbed and it was positive. I tried to fight through it for 4 days as I know some can naturally fight off strep. I ended up with a very white sore throat and fever so I caved. I picked the zpack for the offense rate but will always be concerned. I pray the vanco in addition holds it at bay. I will always be a train wreak when myself or family members need antibiotics. I’m taking florastor twice daily along with Culturelle and protein shakes with probiotics in them. I know the antibiotics will destroy the non yeast probiotics but I’m willing to dose myself up. I pray I’m a success story as I’m not sure my body will tolerate another round of cdiff!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Good luck. Let us know how things go.

cake918
Regular User

Postby cake918 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Things are not going well. I’m on day 3 of the zpack and have started with the diarrhea (7x today). I called the on call doc and he said to take Imodium as it’s antibiotic induced diarrhea. He also said he doesn’t prescribe vanco with antibiotics. It’s MD specific. He also said We won’t know if it’s cdiff until I stop the antibiotics. I’m curled up in a ball crying realizing that I have once again brought cdiff on. At this point I truly do not want to go on.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:18 pm

Are you already on vanco?
I would not trust the Dr that suggested imodium.
C.diff IS antibiotic induced diarrhea!
Has the Dr told you to stop taking the zpack?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:37 pm

I took Z pak without vanco and I did not relapse. But, on the last day, I did get loose stools. Z pak stays in your system for a long time - it has a long half life. So, even if you stop it today, it will stay for a long time. If you have to take something for D, try Pepto Bismol. It won't C like Imodium. I would also get tested for C diff.

cake918
Regular User

Postby cake918 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:38 pm

I am on the vanco 4x day at 250mg. She started me on it when I started the zpack. I was told to finish the zpack as I have strep that was really bad. I don’t want to stop it for the strep to return. I’m stuck. He also said it’s not confirmed cdiff so try the Imodium. I know I shouldn’t take it if there’s a chance. I always got diarrhea from antibiotics prior to cdiff but this just freaks me out and makes me want to stop fighting again. Will I have a false negative with the vanco.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:45 pm

I did not realize you were on vanco. If you are on vanco, I highly doubt what you are experiencing is C Difficile. I was given vanco with Levaquin and had to take them both for 10 days. I had D every day with it. That is why I decided the next time not to take vanco. It went much better without. I took Pepto Bismol when I was on the vanco/levaquin combo.

cake918
Regular User

Postby cake918 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Thank you Beth! It’s actually the perfect storm here. It’s “that” time of month (always get D and nausea) + antibiotics + my psycho brain thinking the worst every time I have a BM. Do you ever just poop and flush?? I analyze every aspect of my diet and BMs to the point of madness. I was OCD about hand washing and germs prior to this so I can not figure out how this happened to me, what I did wrong? How I failed my family by getting sick? Thank you for listening to me and I apologize for being unhinged.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:36 pm

I agree with Beth...if you are on vanco chances are that it is not c diff. But I also would try Pepto rather than Imodium and eat light for now.
There is a difference in watery d and frequent loose stools...not sure what you are experiencing and that would belong in TMI. The thought occurred to me when you asked about closing the lid without looking. If you are not sure and have high anxiety that all impacts your BMs. Of course that is not to minimize the possibility.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:34 am

Stop looking in the toilet , analyzing your BM will only create more unnecessary anxiety , just close the lid and flush. If your are taking an antibiotic (and also Vanco) the D is more likely from the antibiotic you are taking . Was that antibiotic really necessary , what symptoms did you have from Strep?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”