Vent: Augmentin plus ED visits = fear

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
notheidi
Regular Contributor

Vent: Augmentin plus ED visits = fear

Postby notheidi » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:00 am

Hi, I am a 2x c diff survivor back for a vent. On Sunday, I had an unfortunate argument with a feral 6 week old kitten that I thought needed saving. The kitten thought otherwise, bit me on the knuckles, and ran off. I was so angry at myself! As this was an absolutely unnecessary event. I was thinking with my heart and not my brain. Anyway, I ended up on Augmentin for infection and now I have the dreaded watery D. It's only my 2nd day on the Augmentin. I told the doctor my history with c diff and he said I have to take it anyway. I've been taking probiotics 2 hours before or after, but I feel terrible. I also ate some questionable shrimp today so I'm hoping it's that. I also have the chills...

I know there's nothing anyone can say, this is just the baloney that one goes through and either gets c diff again or doesn't. I've been through these scares enough times to realize that this probably isn't c diff and so I was brave and took some loperimide, which I never do when I have diarrhea because I know that can be serious if it is c diff. I will keep it to the one dose. I'm just hoping it's the shrimp.

I'm going to talk to my MD tomorrow and get advice if GI things don't improve. I've had a few ED visits in the past few weeks for chest pain (thankfully turned out fine). I tried not to touch anything when I was there, but I am still concerned because that's how I got c diff the first time, via ED exposure then antibiotic.

It's just an unhappy situation. Now I wait.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vent: Augmentin plus ED visits = fear

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:31 am

I would get tested right away. If your test is positive, then you need to start treatment. What did you take before? Many have had good luck with Dificid and that would be my choice. But, Augmentin can cause D too, even if not c diff. If the shrimp was bad, it probably covers that too. I got a relapse 2 or 3 days into Cipro, so it is possible.

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:00 am

Hi Beth,

Thanks for your kind reply. Yes I think it's a good idea for me to ask MD for a test kit tomorrow, that way it's there for me if I need to pick it up and I don't have to deal with any delays or rigamarole over the holiday. I am hoping this will be better tomorrow. If not I will be upset because I still have 8 more days of augmentin.

I've had so many of these c diff scares like most of us. It is almost embarrasing to post about so I'm trying not to be too dramatic about it. Usually it's not c diff so I'm hoping that's true this time. My last episode was 2 or 3 years ago. So many times I feel absolutely certain that it's c diff (almost to the point of being delusional) and most of the time, thank goodness, I'm wrong.

The last time I had vanco. GI said next time if I get it will need pulse and taper vanco or difficid. I'm so glad to hear that Metronidazole is no longer recommended. That's one nasty drug!!!

There was a time not too long ago that some MDs insisted on metro and repeat metro if it came back. I was absolutely livid at a doctor I had that recommended that.

Also during my original bout of c diff in 2010, the ED MD put me on the wrong dose of metro, it was too low, and I got horrendously sick before that was figured out. That's when my whole mistrust of doctors really took hold.

Thankfully right now I just got a new PCP (previous one was absolutely horrendous) and I really like the new one. He is humble and he took my chest pain episodes seriously, agreed with me that it was not normal, and called the cardiologist for advice. Thankfully all that tested out ok.

Normally I'd say no prophylactic antibiotics for me, but cat bites usually get infected, and this was in the joint so I figured I'd take their advice and go for it. It was a deep bite. I don't regret the decision and I told the MD about my history. But it's still scary and upsetting.

Being a professional worrier, I am also scared about rabies. We don't have a lot of it in my area, and it's usually not domestic animals. The kitten ran away so I have no idea where it is. It looked well and it was considered a "provoked" bite, ie the kitten didn't just run up to me and bite me for no reason. They didn't recommend the post rabies exposure shots but it still freaks me out a little bit. I'm also going to ask my MD tomorrow about that too. The thing about rabies that scares me is if you get it, you're pretty much dead. Why would anyone take that gamble? So the risk must be extremely low for them to feel comfortable saying I don't need it. But I've always heard that if you get bitten and the animal isn't around to be tested, you get the shots. I guess that's only with the unprovoked bites.

It just makes my heart so sad that there are so many animals in need out there. Calling animal control feels pretty useless, they are so underfunded.

I don't know what I was thinking with that kitten. It was obviously feral and scared, and I had no plan for how to do this safely. I've saved a lot of animals in my life, both officially and unofficially as a volunteer, but I'm feeling pretty much done now. Unless it's through a volunteer program. I just really idenfity with animals and have a hard time seeing a stray.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:22 am

So sorry this happened, as with any animal bite or even scratch....the antibiotic is important, I have seen far too many admitted even with a simple puncture so you did exactly the right thing.
I agree to get tested asap but hoping it will be negative. If by chance it is positive, I would go with Dificid

Let us know how you do...wishing you the best
NanciT

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:32 pm

I got tested today. I was only able to give a teeny sample so I hope it was enough. The lab lady said it was. I have felt so sick today it's not funny. I had some leftover zofran at home and I took 8 mg twice today and it did nothing for the nausea.

The doctor took me off the antibiotic for the kitten bite as he said it's doing more harm now than good and to watch the bite. So now I'm scared of both the bite infection returning and c diff. He was weary to switch my antibiotic for the bite because that would also harm my gut so he said let's just watch the bite for now. But it scares me. What if I have to take another antibiotic for the bite? etc.

Gone is my determination from yesterday not to despair. I am in full blown despairing and catastrophizing mode. I'm trying to at least be aware that I'm there, but I'm not good mentally.

I felt green all day today at work. The hair on my arms was standing up. I have been dry heaving and haven't had much of an appetite. I am only at this job for 3 months now, I'm new and I already was sick for one day a few weeks ago. I am on new employee probation for another 3 months so I'm afraid of losing my job on top of it.

I was also afraid of getting my office mate sick. She was out today. I work in the medical field and I got some clorox wipes and wiped down the office but it never feels clean enough. I am afraid of getting someone else sick, I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

One of the worst parts of c diff thoughts (not sure if it's the illness but it sure feels like it, so I will call it c diff thoughts right now) for me is the self-blame and the anger at this preventable illness. I really can't think straight when i have it or think I have it. I know that rationally, but somehow that doesn't take away the anguish.

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:58 pm

I just got the test back. It was negative! The weird thing about it was that the sample said it was collected at 10 am but mine was collected at 1:30 pm. I am afraid that my new doctor is going to grow weary of me if I bring that up so I'm going to give it a rest and trust it.

I don't understand how one can have the exact same symptoms of c diff and it not be c diff? But I am grateful. Cramping, severe nausea, pain, chills, etc. That was severe diarrhea from the antibiotic. Wow.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:40 am

Augmentin can be harsh to take. My daughter was given that as a child for an ear infection and we had to switch to something else because she started vomiting. If you need an antibiotic, ask in the future if doxycycline can be used. It is a low offender.

We do not have any cases of rabies where I live and I'm willing to bet you don't either. If this were a mountain lion, coyote, or some other wild animal, you might wonder. If you are concerned, call a trusted vet and ask what the prevalence of rabies is in your area. I bet it is low to none.

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:53 pm

This is so surreal to me. That's how I got c diff I believe. I was in the ED for an ear impaction, which I had never had in my life. They cleared the impaction, but at that time I had never heard of c diff so I held onto the bed rails etc. Etc, probably didn't wash my hands as well.. The next morning I awoke with a horrible sore throat from them picking in my ear I'm sure. I ended up being put on Augmentin a couple days later. Almost done with the antibiotics and got hit with severe abdominal pain. Went to the bathroom and had BM with just mucus streaked with blood. Long story short failed Flagyl and Vanco. Was hospitalized 5 times, lost 35 pounds in 10 weeks. Thought I was dying. Husband drove me all the way to Florida from Michigan for fmt. My PCP and GI actually laughed about it, and thought it was crazy. It saved me.Since then my PCP has seen others saved by fmt and has changed his mind. It was three years ago. I've not had an antibiotic yet, but I know the day is coming. Glad you're negative.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:45 pm

GREAT NEWS the test is negative. Give yourself some time....hopefully you will feel better soon.

NanciT

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:12 am

Beth, thank you for your kind words. Great idea re asking local vets. I looked online at some rabies stats and it is rare here. The last time a cat had it here was 2 years ago. I still haven't heard back from animal control regarding the bite report.

Mindy, I am so glad you got the FMT!!!!! Very sad and disrespectful regarding the ridicule you received for it. Good for you for holding your own. What a great husband.

Nanci, thanks. I already feel so much better, immediately when I stopped it...next day much better and continuing to improve. I don't see any signs of infection in the finger either. Probably the intial doses of augmentin killed anything in there. I'm still a little nervous for a few more days to see if it gets infected because I only stopped the augmentin on Tuesday.

I can't tolerate doxycycline either, it makes me vomit even if I have it with food. I hope they're working on some new antibiotics for regular non c diff infections

My recent case of c diff was in July 2015 or 2016. That was the relatively "mild" case and not as traumatizing as the first one. Before that it was a pretty bad one in Jan 2010. This was *8 years ago* now!!! And I am still so traumatized by it. It was a major life detour.

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:21 am

Mindy wrote:
>It was three years ago. I've not had an antibiotic
> yet, but I know the day is coming. Glad you're negative.

Mindy, unfortunately I've had to be on antibiotics several times post c diff. It has always turned out ok, so it is possible to be on them and not get a recurrence. The augmentin is the only problem I've had.

Also since you've had FMT, I think you're even less likely to have a recurrence. I believe that some of us are more vulnerable than others; certainly others have had antibiotics + exposure and not gotten c diff. Getting a different gut microbiome gives you another shot at resistance.

I'm concerned that my gut flora is permanently damaged. I take probiotics and eat yogurt, but I do not think the reaction to the augmentin I had was normal and since it wasn't c diff I think it was because my gut is so vulnerable now in the first place.

I would love to have a DIY FMT as a way to start over with microbiome but I don't know any good donors. Also seems like maybe one should only do that in reaction to acute illness.

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:52 pm

the anxiety is so normal! I retested freq for a year as I had such a messed up bowel and I was certain cdiff was back. But since then I developed a fistula and had that surgery, so that anxiety has taken cdiff's place! Though I think all then irritable bowel from c diff helped cause fissure and ultimately fistula... And then any time I have active IBS i think it could be diverticulitis or appendicitis. I strain abdominal muscles easily so that contributes to the concern...I am taking a mild antidepressant and have anxiety meds if needed. It can't hurt.

AnnieKr
New User

Postby AnnieKr » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:26 pm

I loved reading these posts. Made me feel NORMAL. Post cdiff since 2012, had FMT. I too have the catastrophizing, the anxiety, and a JOB to keep. Inside I’m a mess evcery time my stomach bowel is upset. On the outside I fake it till I make it. No one even knows what cdiff is so nonuse sharing that. I too have been to the ER for testing many times over the years. Always negative. But now I have to take antibiotics for a sinus infection that needs to be cleared up before I can have hip replacement. I. Am. A. Mess! I’m waiting as long as possible to take the antibiotic for the FEAR of CDIFF returning! But it’s not getting better. And although the hip replacement is elective, it’s necessary. I’m not that old and limping around is just not ok. So besides being a mess about the upcoming postponed surgery, now I have to take an antibiotic for a sinus infection!! Ugh. Thanks for making me feel not alone

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Have you had a culture to prove it's a bacteria infection?
Theres other remedies like sinus rinse, neti pot, menthol steam etc that others have considerable success with.

AnnieKr
New User

Postby AnnieKr » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:01 am

No I have not. I have done nasopure several times daily, steaming with peppermint oil, hot rags on face, shower steams, mucinex, Flonase, ibuprofen, decongestants all of it together and with different combinations. Quit my allergy pills (drying); quit Flonase (drying), quit the decongestant. So now, steaming, every now and then mucinex (to thin), ibuprofen for inflammation. Nothing working. If it does it’s short lived. And then comes back. Ears ringing, facial pressure, fatigue, and sometimes very MILD temp elevation (up to 99, which is elevated for me). Such a choice to make. Ugh. I need hip replacement and don’t want to wait months! Already waited years. I also know that my risk increases for cdiff to come back with taking more than one antibiotic (will have prophylactic one with surgery). On the other hand, doxy has lower rate of cdiff. Ugh. I know no one has the answers. Thank you for your kindness just to read my posts

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”