New, Scared

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
darkside
New User

Re: New, Scared

Postby darkside » Tue May 15, 2018 8:58 am

What do you wish you would have done instead?

Edit: Took some fiber and Pepto yesterday. Had one very formed BM so far this morning. Again having the vague feeling of discomfort. It’s almost like the feeling that you will have to have a BM but it’s not urgent and I’m not sure there is really anything to come out. I would have to force it a bit. I just want to be normal again and stop thinking about this 24/7... :/

2nd Edit: 2nd BM of the day... still very formed. Don't really see any mucus or anything weird. Still just have this constant mild feeling like I may have to poop more but it's not urgent.

My hypochondria is starting to tell me maybe I have colon cancer and not CDiff. My last colonoscopy was 4 years ago.

darkside
New User

Postby darkside » Wed May 16, 2018 2:33 pm

Saw my GI doctor today for the first time since all this started. He also wasn't quite sure what was going on and said he couldn't be certain I had an active CDiff infection.

He recommended not starting the Vanco just yet unless the symptoms get worse. Or, if they don't resolve we can do another test.

I'm still pretty down about it all. I have had one mainly formed BM this morning. It was a little on the soft side but think it may be because I took quite a bit of Metamucil yesterday since I was having a problem with thin stools in the days prior. I haven't gone again yet today but still have the mild cramping / discomfort like I may have to. So frustrating.

I'm worried I have CDiff and by not treating it I'm going to get toxic megacolon before I have time to catch it since my symptoms aren't totally "classic CDiff".

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed May 16, 2018 2:55 pm

You are not currently ill, accept it and move on with life.
If you get diarrhoea several times a day it MIGHT be c.diff (by far most cases are not).
If you keep going to your Dr you will end up with a pipe shoved where the sun don't shine!
If you keep complaining about mild symptoms a Dr will investigate, that's how they earn their wages.

darkside
New User

Postby darkside » Wed May 16, 2018 3:26 pm

I hear you. I just *do* feel somewhat ill though. I'm having to go to the bathroom more, and my bowels always have a mild uncomfortable feeling. If I was just having a couple BMs a day and no other symptoms I wouldn't be so concerned but it's the discomfort that is making me worried, since I fear it is a sign of CDiff attacking my colon.

I just had my 2nd BM of the day... I'm pretty sure I've been having 2 a day since I finished Flagyl a week ago. It was still formed but thin. :/ ... And I *still* don't feel totally emptied out and relieved.

I just worry if it's CDiff and I kinda keep monitoring it for weeks and weeks soon it will have such a foothold I'll have to have my colon removed or something.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Not being a physician (and this not being a medical site), I can only offer my impressions. The symptoms of discomfort that you're describing are more likely due to IBS than to C. diff. Even if it were to be C. diff, which I think is unlikely, toxic megacolon only afflicts a miniscule segment of people who have it; your symptoms (again, supposing C. diff) would be acute and incapacitating. Hopefully you can put your mind to rest on that score.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:44 am

Recovery from c difficile is not easy for many. Many get IBS and discomfort as you describe. You asked what I wish that I had done differently - probably taken probiotics alone. I'm pretty sure that the year prior to my diagnosis I had c difficile - had the loose stools and M. I had visited my mom almost every day at a skilled nursing facility and she and many others on her floor had c difficile. I noticed that when I ate yogurt, I felt better, so I ate it every day and it just cleared up on its own. Then the year after when the doctor scared me into taking vanco, I felt worse and could no longer tolerate yogurt. My doctors that I got after that (ditched the first GI who treated me) said that vanco can irritate your colon too, not just the c diff. So between all the meds I took - because after my first treatment, I got full blown c difficile relapses - I got very bad IBS. Even the FMTs that I had did not rid me of it completely, although they were much more effective than the vanco.

darkside
New User

Postby darkside » Thu May 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Thanks for the replies. Today was maybe a bit better to start. 2 BMs... both fairly formed, though I’ve been taking fiber. Continued with some Pepto today as well as probiotics.

Still don’t feel *totally* empty for some reason. :/ ... last night I actually felt really great from like 4pm onwards. Felt 100% normal. Was hoping that would continue.

Don’t really know what to think. My current symptoms wouldn’t necessarily interrupt my life in any significant way. But, I know I’m not totally back to normal yet either.

I can’t say anything is really getting *worse*. Just kinda staying the same since like 10 days ago.

darkside
New User

Postby darkside » Thu May 17, 2018 8:09 pm

I tried to go a third time and there was basically nothing there. I’m wondering if the feeling of “not being empty” is a anxiety / tension symptom? Because of my constant monitoring of my bodily sensations in regards to my bowel? I don’t know what’s going on. It doesn’t necessarily seem to be caused by any stool needing to come out.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:25 am

Ask your Gi about that. Maybe it is just irritation or irritable bowel (IBS).

darkside
New User

Postby darkside » Sat May 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Symptoms the last couple days have been 2 formed BMs per day. I haven’t had much cramping yesterday or today. I’m still worried about CDiff because of the multiple BMs per day. I’m worried as soon as I stop with the Pepto I’ll get uncontrollable diarrhea. I'm taking Metamucil (5 capsules, 4x a day) to keep things bulked up.

I finished Flagyl 11 days ago.

Edit: Ugh, hopefully I didn't speak to soon. The urge to go is coming back and I fear I'll have to go a third time today.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun May 20, 2018 1:09 am

Five capsules of Metamucil four times a day? That seems like too much Metamucil and is likely the cause of the frequent urge to go and other symptoms. Per my Google search just now: 5 capsules 1 to 3 times/day.Try cutting down.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

darkside
New User

Postby darkside » Tue May 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Ugh, I'm back again. I finished Flagyl 3 weeks ago today. I have been having very normal, once a day bowel movements all last week and beginning of this week. However, last night about 1-2 hours after eating some hamburgers, I got very crampy and had D 2 times. I took some Pepto and went to bed and was fine all night. This morning I had another BM and it was pretty loose, and after that BM I've continued having cramping and feel like I'm going to have D again.

I'm worried I have CDiff and it has relapsed. Based on my first post, my first CDiff test with this all started was "antigen positive, toxin negative"... I'm wondering if it has been able to gain ground and is now an active infection. :/ ... I think my first CDiff test must have been an older toxin test that isn't as accurate.

I still have Vanco on hand that I was given at urgent care several weeks ago but have not started it yet. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and start it. I'm really bummed and nervous. :(

Update: Just had 2nd BM of day... extremely loose D... I am so depressed about this. I was feeling great and I'm worried it's back. I don't think I'll ever beat this. Already feel like I may have to go a 3rd time today. I fear this will kill me.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue May 29, 2018 6:58 pm

Did it ever occur to you that you got sick after eating hamburgers so maybe the hamburgers made you sick?
You should be eating blander for longer.
You just are driving yourself crazy despite what any of us say and letting your anxiety get the best of you. We all go through it but at some point you need to get help or you will never feel well. You seem to have symptoms of IBS and can have a long recovery. I went through the same thing but have been well for many years now.

Stop looking in the toilet and counting BMs and try to get involved back in your life. Watch what you eat.
You have negative toxins- no active disease.
You are young and healthy.

Rita

darkside
New User

Postby darkside » Tue May 29, 2018 8:26 pm

It’s possible. I’ve never had something I ate cause lingering D the next day though. I really thought I was past all this and was feeling great.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed May 30, 2018 1:15 am

Well, I have, i.e., "had something I ate cause lingering D the next day," if that's any comfort. I agree with what Ril wrote and encourage you to take her advice.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”