UTI after transplant

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Bel61
New User

UTI after transplant

Postby Bel61 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:42 am

Hi all,
I had my stool stransplant yesterday. I ended up in the er because of severe abdominal pain and tachycardia. I was admitted to the hospital and now today I have a bad uti with blood. Am still in hospital and they gave me macrobid. I am in tears because I did not want to take any antibiotic at all.i wanted to try my d-mannose but this infection is pretty bad. Has anyone else had to take macrobid that soon after fmt? I never get uti's so am thinking I got some fecal matter in urethra. I have had a very difficult last week and even passed out in the er last night. I have never passed out before so that was a shock. Not sure if my poor body has just had it or what. I wanted to get home so I could start my d-mannose but they kept me another day as I almost passed out again getting dressed. That is why I had to take the macrobid tonight as they were standing there making sure I took it. I know it's one of the low offenders but I am just devastated. I feel my body could not take a relapse. I need encouragement please. They are doing a culture but the results won't be in until Monday or Tuesday. I had so much blood in my urine and had bladder pain that they wanted to start the macrobid. Share your thoughts anyone?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: UTI after transplant

Postby beth22 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:29 am

You have to treat that kind of infection. You may or may not relapse with c difficile. If you do, you have other options, including getting another FMT. But, it sounds as if your infection is pretty severe and you don't want it to go into your kidneys and do worse harm

Bel61
New User

Postby Bel61 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Hello all,
This has probably been the hardest week so far since getting c-diff. As stated above I came down with a bad uti the day after my fmt. I was in the hospital as I had a severe reaction after the fmt. I have never had a uti that bad before and I have only had about 3 or 4 in my lifetime and I am 61 years young. I took macrobid for 5 days and the symptoms went away. Then 2 days ago the burning started although no blood. I finally received the urine culture report via patient portal and I was infected with Raoultella Planticola. I had never heard of this so of course looked it up and freaked out at what I found. There have only been a few people in many years that have had this. It is very rare and sometimes hard to treat.
I called the hospital where I had my fmt and spoke with a department head about the possibility of having been infected by the fecal transplant or the equipment. She was nice and told me the donors are tested every 90 days. I did not ask if this particular organism was included as part of the test as she was not familiar with it. She did call me back after speaking with the microbiologist at the lab there. The consensus was that I probably had it prior to the transplant and the Vanco was keeping it in check. She advised me to seek care from my pcp which I did.
My Doctor put me back on macrobid for 10 days this time and we did another culture which should be in by Monday. My doctor had never heard of this either. He could see I was so stressed out I could not even think straight.
My intestines are in an uproar today and I am so nauseated I can barely eat. I am still having green colored stool which is just mush but only 3 times per day. I am so depressed and anxious that my transplant will fail.
I have never been this nauseated before and am wondering if the macrobid is contributing to the nausea or if the c-diff is on the march again or if my severe anxiety is playing a part.
If anyone has any thoughts or questions please let me know.
Even my pharmacist had never heard of this. Needless to say I am scared. I need encouragement and am trying to stay positive and hopeful but it is so hard.
One other thing, is it normal for the stool to stay green for this long after the transplant? I am just not feeling well at all.
Thanks for reading my long story.
This has been the most challenging thing I have ever gone through in my life.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:33 am

I am so sorry that you are going through this. You have to try to remain calm as hard as it is. I think you have to look at this two-fold. You have to get rid of the bacteria causing this nasty UTI. It sounds like the Macrobid is doing its job and the UTI has gotten a lot better. You couldn't control this happening to you, and the timing was just awful. But that to me is your first priority now. Then you can focus on whether or not the c-diff is gone. I pray that the FMT has worked even though you had to take an antibiotic. The nausea can be from so many things as you have just been through a big ordeal and taking meds. I think if you really aren't feeling well, you should call your doctor though. Maybe he can prescribe an anti-nausea to help you through? I know this must be really hard on you right now. The worst case scenario is that you may have to do another transplant if the c-diff returns. But that is not a definite and try to live in the moment. Focus on getting rid of the UTI infection. You will get through all of this. I know it must be very overwhelming right now, but you will get through it.

Sending you well wishes and positive thoughts.
Lisa

Return to “FMT Discussion”